Profile for Sludos > Reviews

The Visitors
The Visitors
by Rebecca Mascull

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful and moving story, 23 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Visitors (Paperback)
There are already some cracking detailed reviews for this book on Amazon, therefore I'm going to keep this short and sweet. First and foremost, I absolutely loved it. The way Mascull presents Liza’s world to the reader is astonishing. When I read the synposis I was intrigued, and a little sceptical, as to how an author could 'paint' a world through a deaf-blind character, but she did it beautifully.
It's a wonderful and moving story with, in my opinion, three dimensional characters who you believe in and care about.
I genuinely loved it and I’ve passed it onto my wife because I have a habit of making her read books that make her cry!

The Boss of it All [DVD] [2006]
The Boss of it All [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Henrik Prip

3.0 out of 5 stars Light Danish humour, 15 Aug. 2008
Lars Von Trier has made some extremely provocative movies in recent years, ("Dogville" and "Dancer In The Dark" spring to mind) but with "The Boss Of It All" he has proven that he can also do light comedy. It's been compared, rather lazily, to "The Office" but it certainly isn't a conventional comedy. It's quite typical of his early "Dogme" stuff and has a very amusing plot, although occasionally I wondered if the Danish humour was going over my head!

Von Trier is one of the greatest Directors in the world today and this movie won't hurt his reputation at all; my one gripe though was the constant superfluous jump-cuts. They might have been part of Von Trier's revolutionary "automavision" but they became very annoying!

Hallam Foe [DVD]
Hallam Foe [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jamie Bell
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Jamie Bell comes of age, 14 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Hallam Foe [DVD] (DVD)
It's very refreshing to see a British actor who isn't churning out movie after movie on the Hollywood conveyor belt. Jamie Bell clearly knows the type of films he wants to be associated with and is bold enough and brave enough to do it. After seeing him in the incredible "Dear Wendy" it was clear he had the ability play the lead, and in Hallam Foe he does so beautifully.
Hallam Foe is an enjoyable "quirky" film held together by Bell's strong performance. Okay, so it won't be to everyone's taste but if you want to see a fun, if somewhat disturbing, British movie that doesn't rely on Messrs Statham, Jones or Dyer, or football violence then sit back and enjoy Hallam Foe.