Profile for T. Satchwell > Reviews

Content by T. Satchwell

T. Satchwell (A Tower in the Heart of London.......)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Activ Women's Vermont City Urban Bike - (White, 17 Inch, 17 Inch, 28 Inch)
Activ Women's Vermont City Urban Bike - (White, 17 Inch, 17 Inch, 28 Inch)

4.0 out of 5 stars Meet me in Vermont.., 14 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was a bit freaked out by the bike arriving in a huge box and self assembly. I have bought a few bikes. but they always turned up complete..or I got them direct from a bike shop.
It did take a little while to get it all assembled, the instructions are ok....rare to find instruction leaflet these days that actually lays things out clearly.Lots of boxes of parts. You just need o be methodical about it, get all the parts laid out to see what you've got. You need a fair bit of room for this.
When it was finally together...it took me about an hour or so...the bike looks pretty good. Not a light model for sure, but it will be used for a daily commute. The gears are adequate for this purpose, Brakes I always struggle with as its a bit fiddly to adjust them just right, but after a few attempts..I got there.
There are some nice accessories, a front basket and a kick stand for propping it up.
Up and running now ...I don't ride it myself as I got this for my wife so we can cut down on the petrol bills, but she seems very happy with it.

Wacom Bamboo Pad Light Touchpad with Digital Stylus - Metallic Grey
Wacom Bamboo Pad Light Touchpad with Digital Stylus - Metallic Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Touch.........Too Much, 5 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wanted to try this out for my more arty tendencies...so photoshop mainly, but also tried instead of my regular mouse. Tried with Windows 7 and 8...yet to try on mac.
My nephew (who is graphic design student) mentioned the touchpads as he used one for some of his work in Adobe CS so I was willing to give it a go.
I did find the stylus quite hard to control on fine work...I think I need more time with this, but useful for colouring in sections in photoshop. I'm hoping to get to grips with it to create cartoons.
The pen has left and right click buttons ...and again takes a bit of time to get used to
Using it with windows 8 for the touch pad was quite a good experience, but I'm a bit of a luddite , and prefer the click and scroll of windows 7 to new fangled win 8 .
Uses USB..so be aware...I looked at the promo material, and the people using them are wireless...so you don't see how you might be restricted by cable length.

Philips Sonicare HX6511/43 EasyClean White Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX6511/43 EasyClean White Rechargeable Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Whiter Than White?, 5 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first sonic brush I have used, previously used the more clunky and noisey ones!
So far very impressed...its light, very quiet and seems to do a very good job.
The brush moves at a rate of knots, and you feel like it's done something to your gnashers...not quite the same feeling after a hygiene job aat teh dentist...but not bad.
Holds a charge well, in fact haven't needed to recharge since I took it out of the box.
Not really able to judge the advertised...notice the difference in 7 days..!!!
I don't really look that closely to early in the morning.
It would have been nice to have got a second brush head with it....so you could share it....but then again I don't know if anyone does!
Early days yet...but so far ...very pleased with this

Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys.
Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys.
by Viv Albertine

5.0 out of 5 stars A pInG PoNg AfFair, 1 Jun. 2014
This is a fabulous book.....I agree with another reviewer..I couldn't put it down. Wasn't sure if this was going to be more for the ladies....but it's really well written....pretty gritty in places and incrediblly open and honest. Fascinating reading, some of the stuff that went on. Punk was my "Thing", I loved it and was absorbed particularly in the music...did the I can't play but I'm going to have a go anyway. I saw the Slits with the Clash, and they were loud and full on.....you have got to admire the spirit and guts they had. Some really good stories I wasn't aware of ...don't want to give anything away..read this book if you have interest in the late 70's and 80's music scene. I think her story is as inspiring as maybe Patti Smith.
Also get hold of the Slits book Typical Girls? The Story of The Slitswhich is also a great read... Typical Girls..........Naaahhhhhh!!!!!!
SIDE 1....has the more music related stuff
SIDE 2.....has some pretty heavy more "life" orientated stuff.....again having experienced just a little of what Viv went through (only from a man-side)..I can relate
to some of this.
You might have to treat this like a game of two sides........or ....an album with "darker material" on side 2.
But absolutely worth reading.....

Finish Dishwasher Tablets Quantum Max, 60 Tablets
Finish Dishwasher Tablets Quantum Max, 60 Tablets

4.0 out of 5 stars A Quantum Leap, 9 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the second batch of dishwasher tablets I have trialed from amazon. First was
Like these..the "QUANTUMS" seem to do a good job...when you pick them up .they kind of feel a almost slimey...but the outer wrapper dissolves and releases the "cocktail" of cleaning agents!
I haven't added salt in the washer with these (unlike the lemon sparkles)and so far not had any issues with cleaning efficiency.
I don't really notice a string scent with these.
These come in a plastic seal-able pack, not sure if this is just to keep them dry from moisture that might start them dissolving or keep them dry if you keep them on the sink or close.
All in all ..pleased with the results so far

AmazonBasics A4 Thermal Laminator
AmazonBasics A4 Thermal Laminator

4.0 out of 5 stars Heat Treatment, 9 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nice packaging....all cardboard which can be recycled...so a good start for me.
The laminator is a pretty basic box...not loads of switches or controls so easy to use. It has a small footprint,we have another laminator which does the same size jobs but is a bit of a beast size wise.
The machine takes a little while to warm up, but we have a more industrial one at work as well..and that takes longer.
I notice a few people felt the two pouches supplied was a tad mean...and didn't think there were any included at first, but I have to agree...maybe 10 might have been an idea. Luckily we have some already from the other laminiator.

So...it does the job,I don't know how long you could expect to use it in one sitting if you were doing some menus for the wimpy bar
but for the odd one or two I'm sure it will be fine

Live At the Brixton Academy: A riotous life in the music business
Live At the Brixton Academy: A riotous life in the music business
by JS Rafaeli

5.0 out of 5 stars With Your hands on Your head...or on the trigger of your gun, 2 May 2014
This was a great read. Well written for an easy read.
Amazing when you read all about the "business" that goes on behind the running of a venue. I remember going to The Cult gig at The academy and thinking....will it be safe as at the time the area did have a certain reputation. It was a great gig and no hassles.
Some scary stories, and you really don't think about all of this when you go to a gig.....you just want to get there..enjoy it and get home without having to get the night bus!
It is amazing how the venue (SP and gang) built it up from a leaky wreck to hosting Rock Royalty.
Interesting to hear Simon P's comments about the many cccchhhh anges over the years.....indie shows then the authorised raves and club nights..then up to big rock shows (and pre band tour rehearsals and video shoots) Then the slump due to the manufactured bands and their c=**ppy videos taking the live market away.
But what goes around comes around...and the reformed bands doing "albums" performances has brought the live scene back(even if it is as extraordinary prices!!!)

If you like going to gigs ...and as another reviewer said it's well worth a read!!!

Punk Rock Warlord: the Life and Work of Joe Strummer (Ashgate Popular and Folk Music Series)
by Barry J. Faulk

3.0 out of 5 stars A Gentleman and a Scholar?..or a Gentleman and some Scholars.....!, 24 April 2014
First of all...THIS IS A VERY EXPENSIVE BOOK...over £50
I'm not quite sure it deserves such a high price tag. I bought it because I am a complete Clash nutter, and I'm researching a book myself, and I thought there might be some useful stuff in here.
The book is a series of essays/papers by academic types..male and female...in the main they are US based...also some Brits.
Alex Ogg is the only name I know previously .. he wrote the No More Heroes book (Cherry Red Publishing) and others
What is a little disappointing for me is that there are some incorrect facts..and slips...the cumbian music genre is written as Cumbrian.....well it brings it a little closer to home...
One author states that Tymon Dogg didn't "see" Joe after Sandinsita until at some point they met, and Tymon became a Mescalero. But Tymon played Piano on Death IS A Star on Combat Rock..(that is if my research is correct!!!??)

The open top Cadillac ride to Shea stadium was in SISOSIG Video...not "Know Your Rights" as recorded in another piece. It has has been a suggested in some quarters..... that...there wasn't a vid for KYR's
Combat Rock was "recorded in 1982"..again not according to my research....1981 they started recording......and The Clash didn't sign to Polydor....although admittedly it was a close call....keep the engine running Bernie....

Putting my gripes aside, the various papers try to put some sort of handle on where Joe was coming from....whether he meant it...what he means/meant to people...was he sincere...what his position was on Racism, SWP, RAR and "Women in Rock"
He pretty much comes out of it all as a decent sort of bloke, who cared a lot, was probably pretty confused about what was going on around him (I'm with you there Joe), trying to work out who he was, having gone though a name change or two.

If you are looking for a book about Joe...you can get the Very in depth Chris Salewicz "Redemption Song" and the very excellent "The History of Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros" by Anthony Davies...and still have change from the fifty quid.

A guaranteed personality...

London's Burning: An Exploration in Punk Subculture
London's Burning: An Exploration in Punk Subculture
by Hans Versluys

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh..I remember punk rock...as it it was only yesterday..... (Vic Reeves), 13 April 2014
This looked quite an interesting prosepect.....and what..Paul Simonon on the front....How could I resist!!!
I've read another kind iof "intellectual" piece on punk ..well "Genre Theory"
But I didn't think that was really up to much....or maybe I'm not intellectual enough!
However...this was pretty straight forward...although written by someone outside the UK, and after most of the real action was over in the UK.
The chapters are well thought out, but this is a thesis for a degree...not a kind of rambling journey through punk rock history. There are more pictures inside....from 1980's not the 70's....including some Clash pictures from their tour of far east (These from New Zealand)...but theydon't really relate to the text.
Still...another one for my bulging books shelves....

Bosch Rotak 34 R Corded Rotary Lawnmower, 34 cm Cutting Width
Bosch Rotak 34 R Corded Rotary Lawnmower, 34 cm Cutting Width

1.0 out of 5 stars Went to mow a meadow....., 13 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
but it overheated and shut down......
Adding in an update for this.
a few more weeks later.....taking this to the tip....completely packed in now..handle now broken (Plastic screws!!) and motor given up the ghost yet again
RIP

A few weeks on from original review.
Everytime I use the mower...another piece of plastic seems to fall off...and then gets mangled on the blade. This really isn't up to anything more than very light use. I'm not sure how much longer it will last. It is flimsy beyond belief.. I would not recommend this really !!!

Assembling this was fairly straight forward....but it really brings home how flimsy it could be ..as most of it is plastic.
Freaked a little when I couldn't find the back wheels in the box....but they were cunningly wedged between the two halves of the grass collection bin. Once it is assembled...it is very light and easy to move around. I have a larger version of this which is nearing it's life end...still working....but bits falling off now and again. So this was a nice ride.....manouvres easily.
Collection box is a little smaller than my other one...but not a big deal.
The problem really was I have done the whole of our front lawn....(not that big) and had moved on to the back lawn...done a few rows up and down when the mower just stopped....I presume cut out as was overheated..?? Not sure. So finished that rest with my old Bosch...was contemplating boxing it all up to return...then gave it a second chance..and on it came.
So....be wary of larger gardens...it may need a bit of a rest halfway through.
If it survives the next cut....I'll be pleased ..and would add another star

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20