Profile for A. J. Dawson-clarke > Reviews

Content by A. J. Dawson-c...

A. J. Dawson-clarke (Manchester, UK)

Silentnight Memory Foam Core Pillow
Silentnight Memory Foam Core Pillow

1.0 out of 5 stars Wondering if the supportive memory foam core is sold seperately., 15 Aug. 2014
Really disappointed with this item. The memory foam core isn't feelable, you wouldn't know there was any memory foam in it. I didn't expect it to feel like a memory foam pillow and thought it would be very comfortable being a mix of memory foam and soft pillow. It isn't. The pillow is flat and even after airing it is flat. It feels like it is barely filled with anything and offers absolutely no support what so ever. Really uncomfortable. I'd say you get what you pay for but I just got 2 free pillows with a mattress I ordered elsewhere and they are 100 times better.

Foam 2 Go® - 4FT6 Double 18cm - Deluxe MaxiCool Zoned Memory Foam Mattress - 135cm x 190cm x 18cm - Including FREE Luxurious Soft Quilted MaxiCool Cover

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch!, 15 Aug. 2014
Fantastic product. Arrived very promptly, much sooner than the estimated delivery date. It arrived rolled with made things easier. I was a little worried about the size as it looks small when first unwrapped but after a couple of hours airing out it was a great size. The mattress is really firm, which for me makes it super comfy. It probably isn't ideal for people who like softer mattresses. It also came with 2 free pillows, which at first glance looked really flat - however now they have been aired out they are super plump and better than the ones I bought! Really can't believe they were free and got all this for such a low price.

I am delighted! The only negative I have is that companies delivering items like this ought to invest in a courier that will deliver to the door. I am 5ft, single, and have a dicky heart, I really shouldn't be lugging things like this around on my own but I didn't have a choice. We don't all have people locally to ask for help.

10 Minute Solution - Pilates [DVD]
10 Minute Solution - Pilates [DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars Works your core, but you will need some flexibility to do it!, 12 Oct. 2009
I consider myself a fitness fanatic, I love nothing more than trying new workouts at home and have a huge collection of the 10 munute solutions series. Pilates was always something I have been interested in trying as it works muscles you didn't even know you had and is supposed to deliver great results.

I have to say I like this workout, it was something new and even though the workout is tough it's slow so your not finding yourself out of breath running about, it's actually quite relaxing to do. The core workout is a killer and when you do it right you really feel the burn. However getting it right is the tricky bit. You need to be able to balance on the bottom of your spine, you need to be able to stay in that position with your legs in the air and toes pointed and force yourself to touch them. You need to be able to have strong enough abs to be able to use them to get your legs over your head while lying down. Frankly if I could do these things I wouldn't be needing to do core workouts in the first place. While the workout is great it does take alot of practice and the instructor doesn't really take into account that you are a beginner and may not be able to do these things.

The instructor moves through sequences quite quick aswell so make sure you can hear her, you can't always look at the tele when trying to do some of the sequences so being able to listen to what she is saying to do is a benefit so you can focus on the workout.

Overall it's a good workout, and I am enjoying the challenge of trying to get the moves right and build up my strength but it may be best to watch it a couple of times first so you have an idea of what is coming and can work on getting it right.

10 Minute Solution - Carb And Calorie Burner [DVD]
10 Minute Solution - Carb And Calorie Burner [DVD]
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites!, 12 Oct. 2009
I am quite a fitness fanatic, and am always on the look out for new DVD's to do in my spare time at home. The 10 minute solutions collection are on the whole very good and I still use most of them now my fitness level has increased.

This one delivers results people!! The great thing about 10 minute solutions DVD's is if you are pressed for time you just chose one section from the DVD and you have an effective 10 minute workout that will fit somewhere into your day.

The first section is a basic warm up routine, easy steps, a steady workout, you will be warm by the end of it but it is not too challenging.

The second is my least favourite on the DVD, it is basically a condensed version of the 10 minute solutions kickboxing workout, which I also disliked. This section uses lots of kicks and punches and shuffling about and a high intensity workout to burn those calories away.

The third involves alot of lunges and jumps to get those muscles burning, I love this one you really feel it working. Very challenging work out, especially on your legs. Mind your thighs on this work out, listen to your body and if they start pulling too much tone it down and work up to it. I got over excited with this one the first time I used it and pulled a muscle. If you live in an appartment/flat like I do your neighbours may not like you, there is alot of jumping in this section.

The fourth is my favourite section, especially for the floor work to work your abs and back. Gosh do you feel this one! High intensity and challenging.

The last section is a muscle workout, using weights to tone up your arms, back and legs and keep your metabolism up. It doesn't look hard in comparison to the other workouts in the DVD but believe me it's a good one. I do the whole DVD as one big workout and by the time I get to this my legs are like Jelly and it's a really challenge to get to the end with the weights. It's well worth sticking with though you will see results fast with this one, it's alot of fun and you feel fantastic after the workout.

I really recommend this DVD, I am still combining this with my other workouts and bought it ages ago. Definately worth the brass as it's one of the best in the 10 minute solutions set.

10 Minute Solution - Fat Blasting Dance Mix [DVD]
10 Minute Solution - Fat Blasting Dance Mix [DVD]

2.0 out of 5 stars Just didn't do it for me., 12 Oct. 2009
Anyone who has read some of my other reviews will know I am quite a fitness fanatic and am always on the look out for new DVD's to use at home when I have time. This one was frankly a disappointment. I have always been a fan of the 10 minute solutions series, so far they haven't failed to keep me amused and deliver results. This did neither!

I have a good dance background and I found some of the footwork on this DVD just rediculous frankly. The instructer could also do with realising that we don't all have large dance studios to twirl about in... this workout was considerably difficult to do in my smallish livingroom!

The workout was challenging, but for all the wrong reasons really, I spent far to much time trying to work out the footwork, than I did actually doing the dance and she really doesn't give you alot of time to learn it before she adds something else. I was really looking forward to a good cardio dance workout but this was disappointing. I have done this workout afew times and everytime finished it feeling disheartened rather than full of beans like I usually would from a work out. Part of the joy of working out is to get that buzz were you feel great afterwards and this did not deliver that for me.

Frankly there are much better dance workout DVD's on the market that will deliver better results.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2009 4:30 PM GMT

10 Minute Solution: Blast Off Belly Fat  [DVD]
10 Minute Solution: Blast Off Belly Fat [DVD]
Dvd ~ Suzanne Bowen

4.0 out of 5 stars In two minds about this, 12 Oct. 2009
You may have read some of my other reviews I am quite a fitness fanatic and always love adding a new challenging workouts to my collection to do at home when I have some free time. I was stuck between giving this one 3 or 4 stars but settled on 4 as I don't really think I have given it a fair chance to be honest.

When this DVD arrived (I could rant about the amount of time it took me to get this DVD but I shall stick to the review) I geared myself up for a good workout and popped it on. I'm not really sure where to place this DVD if I am honest. I think I was disappointed as I had expected something similar to the carb and calorie burner ab workout and the target toning ab work out. I am rather partial to regimented crunches as I like to feel the burn. This was nothing like that. This DVD combined alot of different styles of workout for abs into one DVD, which I suppose for those who don't like doing crunches is a good thing. I frankly found that some of the workouts were more difficult than they needed to be. Why am I going to do an ab workout that requires me to have super coordination and balance when I can get exactly the same (actually in my case better this didn't really do anything for me) from a much easier, similer workout? I like my workouts to be challenging but I like them to be challenging for the right reasons. Workouts that frustrate me are not that much use to me.

I know I seem rather critical of this work out, I will try and give it another go, now I have started pilates I may find some of the workouts in this DVD easier than I did before, but I just didn't click with it all. The instructer didn't really seem to spur me on either, I didn't click with her at all and just wanted to turn it off.

I would recommend it to people who perhaps don't like (or can't do) crunches as I think you will appreciate the varied ab workouts available in this DVD but it just wasn't for me.

10 Minute Solution - Target Toning [DVD]
10 Minute Solution - Target Toning [DVD]
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best work out DVD's I have ever bought., 12 Oct. 2009
I am a fitness fanatic and am always on the look out for good work outs to do at home when I have some time spare. I bought this one about a year ago maybe and I am still using it now. This DVD is amazing.

The good thing about the 10 minute solution DVD's is that they are separated into 5 10 minute workouts so even if you are pressed for time you can still pick one of the DVD sections and do that.

This DVD is ideal for toning and I feel it caters for many levels of fitness. I started using this DVD when I was at a relatively low fitness level and boy did I feel the burn the first time I did this! Some may think this DVD sounds boring (who wants to spend 50 minutes doing squats, weights and crunches) but the instructer is one of the best motivaters I have seen and the time flies by. I noticed the results from this very quickly and now I am at a high level of fitness I find I can still encorporate this workout into my routine.

I fell in love with this DVD from the off really, the instructer is really encouraging and supportive she just pushes you to finish the reps in the best way. She also introduces herself as a mother and a business woman so I figure many feel they can relate to her and admire her. I do however find her abs hugely intimidating.. when you buy the DVD and see the core workout you will see what I mean... this woman has a serious 6 pack (if your slim like me and don't want a six pack then don't do this work out more than 3 times a week, I did it for more than that for a couple of weeks and found I was also developing a very manly abdomen!).

This is an overall winner for me, I still love this DVD and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2011 1:08 PM GMT

Firm: Dangerous Curves Ahead [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Firm: Dangerous Curves Ahead [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

4.0 out of 5 stars The Firm have not yet disappointed me..., 12 Oct. 2009
I started buying the firm dvd's after reading rave reviews about them in women's fitness magazine. I have always been a fitness freak partaking in dance, swim and martial arts activities but due to a busy lifestyle I slowly started to lose my way with my fitness regime and needed to get back into the swing of things. This is the third of the firm DVD's that I bought and I have to say I found it fantastic.

The workouts were fun, there are beginner modifications for those who are gradually getting into it and it has a great combination of resistance training with cardio bursts, just what you need to burn those extra calories and tone up. I personally found the work out challenging but not too challenging that I felt I couldn't keep at it.

A word of caution to beginners though, the cardio bursts are intense and the DVD is non stop, you certainly get a work out that delivers results but they make damn sure that you work for it. Be careful with the jumping lunges, despite being quite fit I did find that these pushed my leg muscles to the brink and I had to switch to the beginner modification to avoid damage, this is definately a work out were you need to listen to your body at times. I also found the first few times I did the resistance band work it was difficult. The resistance band does not appear to have that much give so you really need some strength to do what the girls on the DVD do. You do get used to it eventually and you can monitor how you are progressing with how you improve with the resistance band but for anyone finding it too difficult the firm cardio to go kit has a lighter weight resistance band that has more give in it and will make the work out more manageable until your ready to use the one that comes with this DVD.

This is one of the better workouts from the firm (not the best but top 10) and I do recommend this as one to give a go as I have definately seen improvements since adding this to my work out regime and I have not tired of it yet.

The Hotpants Workout [DVD]
The Hotpants Workout [DVD]
Dvd ~ Unknown Artist
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont listen to the haters this really is great!, 5 May 2008
This review is from: The Hotpants Workout [DVD] (DVD)
Contrary to many comments on here this DVD is great! You certainly do feel it (if your not feeling anything then you are definately doing something wrong or are super super fit!!) The first exercises are great, particularly the third one, the final two routines have some hard to follow footwork but if you watch it more than once and listen to the guy then youl get it. Its not about what the instructer looks like or what the dances look like, at the end of the day no one is expecting you to perform it on stage. What matters is that it works, I definately saw some results to the point were I can fit in teenagers jeans again (from a size 10 so yeah whopping result) and my bum and tum are so toned!

I definately recommend this it really keeps you motivated and the cool down with the bum and abs toning at the end is fab... some days I only did that in the morning and it worked a treat.

Bodylicious - The Ultimate Dance Workout [DVD]
Bodylicious - The Ultimate Dance Workout [DVD]
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Good way to get back into exercise., 5 May 2008
I recently got back into exercising after resting up a snapped tendon for awhile. I found that just like when I first bought this dvd its a nice transition back into exercising, it doesn't push you too hard but hard enough for anyone who hasnt done much to feel it the next morning. It is simplistic so you may want to buy something else to move onto. This dvd is also good if you are pressed for time or if you have muscle soreness and just want a light exercise. I do recommend it for beginners and as a light routine for those who have little time.

Also it might be worth noting that while after a week or so it does not feel like you are doing much my friend lost a stone in 6 weeks doing this routine everyday, so it must be offering something helpful.

It also offers you healthy eating tips and a booklet so that you can make the most of losing the weight and toning.. but you should all be doing that anyway if you intend on meeting your targets.