Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop now Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for acorn and oak > Reviews

Content by acorn and oak

acorn and oak

Portuguese: 101 Common Phrases
Portuguese: 101 Common Phrases

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny I paid, 31 Aug. 2015
Seriously this is a very useful book it was 'very handy to have on my fire. It was all I needed to get me by.

The Wolf in Winter: A Charlie Parker Thriller: 12
The Wolf in Winter: A Charlie Parker Thriller: 12

5.0 out of 5 stars They just get better, 22 April 2014
These books just carry on getting better, taking Charlie out of the picture in the middle really threw me and as usual I have more questions than answers. Roll on the next book.

Personal Narrative of a Journey to the Equinoctial Regions of the New Continent (Penguin Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Readable travels, brilliant access to a historical perspective, 31 Dec. 2013
I admit to not reading the whole of the introductory text but what I read was useful. I then skipped to Humboldt's narrative and was pleased with how enjoyable it was to read and felt familiar with his way of discovering new places despite the centuries of time in between. Very much a travel story describing the natural environment, people and places but light on his more scientific findings. I sat with large maps of both Tenerife and Venezuela by my side which helped in understanding the scale of exploration on foot, with mules and in canoes. Would definitely recommend reading this for fireside pleasure and certainly if lucky enough to visit these places.

The Idiot (Elrond Approved Kindle Classics)
The Idiot (Elrond Approved Kindle Classics)

2.0 out of 5 stars Dostoyevski, The Idiot, Kindle Elrond: Could do better, 28 Jun. 2011
This classic has, in this version, been treated to an oversimplified translation losing some of the period character and nuance from the writing. An unfortunate lack of editorial effort gives frequent The Idiot (Elrond Approved Kindle Classics)typo errors. Choose a better version to get the best from this novel.