Profile for TheLaughingGeek > Reviews

TheLaughingGeek "TheLaughingGeek"

Lost - Season 6
Lost - Season 6
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost is the greatest TV series ever but BEWARE if you're watching on ..., 28 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Lost - Season 6 (Amazon Video)
Lost is the greatest TV series ever but BEWARE if you're watching on Amazon Instant Video. The final episode 'The End' has a running time of around 104 minutes. Here it's split into two episodes of around 41 minutes each. That means they cut a good 20 minutes from it, and the cuts are easy to spot. Not posting where and when, that could be classed as spoilers, but totally unnecessary on a streaming service. Come on Amazon! It's the finalé to the greatest show ever, it needs everything!

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)
by George R.R. Martin
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding., 25 Aug. 2004
I am so pleased I've finally got around to reading this book!
It's a breathtakingly brilliant piece of fantasy fiction, but due to its sheer brutality, frankness and honesty it won't be everyone's cup of tea. This is definitely a book I wouldn't recommend to minors!
Also, this story has a LOT of people you'll need to get to know! It's not the sort of book you can pop into for 100 pages a week - it definitely needs dedication, but once started you'll find it hard to put down anyway!
Don't start this book expecting a David Gemmell type where the baddies always seem to redeem themselves. I don't think Mr.Martin works like that! Just because the people in this book seem to be on the side of good doesn't guarantee they'll be with us at the end! Just because there's baddies in this book, don't expect them to get their come-uppance!
Just buy it. I can almost guarantee you'll be glad you did.

Acer MP3 Player 128MB With Radio
Acer MP3 Player 128MB With Radio

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad., 23 May 2004
This is the first MP3 player I have ever owned and for my first foray I'm quite pleased.
The player itself is a lovely little piece of kit, and when using it you can't really go wrong: the play/pause and the fast forward/reverse buttons are easy to find and use, and there's a hold button to stop any inadvertent button pressing while it's in your pocket or around your neck.
Copying files onto the player couldn't be easier (if you've got XP) and is simply a matter of dragging the files onto your removable disk. The player comes with its own USB extension so once it's plugged in there's no need to go fiddling around at the back of your PC. However, once the songs are on the player there doesn't seem to be a way to play them in any order - the songs just seem to play alphabetically which is a bit frustrating.
As has been mentioned: the radio is pretty useless. When I first received the player I checked out the radio and got a perfect reception. However, when I've been out and about I've been unable to pick up anything at all.
If anything the 128MB isn't really enough for me. I put two albums on it (songs at 128Kbps) and there wasn't enough space for a third album. And these are not compilation albums I'm talking about (Keane and Snow Patrol). To fit more songs on you have to knock the quality down a little, but seeing as you are listening through bog-standard earphones it's not THAT noticable.
Talking of the earphones, I found them extremely comfortable and thought the sound quality was fine.
Overall, a great first choice for an MP3 player. Maybe go for one with more memory if you like to have lots of music on hand.

The Last Party: Britpop, Blair and the demise of English rock
The Last Party: Britpop, Blair and the demise of English rock
by John Harris

2.0 out of 5 stars Too negative and too anti-Oasis., 11 Jan. 2004
Now, I always look back on the 'Britpop' era as MY era. A time when I could finally put away by Smiths records and be entertained by a new breed of British musicians. Instead of concentrating of the positive aspects of this time, the author just seems to enjoy putting it down. Also, it is very anti-Oasis and rather pro-Blur. An example of this is the delightful quote from Brett Anderson where he describes Damon Albarn as "...a talentless public schoolboy who's made a career out of being patronising to the working classes." This sounds bang-on to me, but Harris describes it as "rather inaccurate". Another gripe is that it doesn't really mention the groups that were also a part of the Britpop experience: Echobelly, Sleeper, Supergrass et al are given scant attention, but the godawful Menswear are gone over in detail. Plus, Harris starts out with the pre-Britpop period (or the birth of it) by giving time to the Happy Mondays and The Stone Roses, but The Charlatans are hardly mentioned.
Overall I was disappointed by this book. It isn't a bad read, but just seems intent on putting the Britpop era down whenever it can.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2013 8:59 PM BST

The "League of Gentlemen" Scripts and That
The "League of Gentlemen" Scripts and That
by BBC

5.0 out of 5 stars The Comedy Kings, 14 Dec. 2003
A rather weighty and excellent compilation of the scripts from the first three series and the Christmas special. You can just open this book up at any page and find a memorable scene from any of the series. There's also lots of original pictures and drawings of just what the Gents originally planned (the drawing of the elephant from the last episode of series 3 is strange as it didn't end up like that!) and these are just as interesting for fans as the scripts themselves. So, if you're a fan, buy the book, it really is excellent. Once within the pages YOU'LL NEVER LEAVE! (Yes, I know, GROAN!)

The Messenger: 1 (Dragonlance: The Icewall Triogy)
The Messenger: 1 (Dragonlance: The Icewall Triogy)
by Douglas Niles
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard fare., 4 Dec. 2003
I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Niles as the Moonshae trilogy was one of my first steps into the fantasy world. However although I quite enjoyed this book (and read it in two sittings - it's quite small) it just seemed to plod along, without much excitement. I found it difficult to relate or care for the main characters in the story (though I must admit to be a little intrigued by Coraltop) and when the end came I wasn't immediately reaching for book 2 in the trilogy.

Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy - Book 1): 1/3
Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy - Book 1): 1/3
by Robin Hobb

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST READ IT!, 16 Oct. 2003
Breathtakingly brilliant. I only finished book 3 about an hour ago and I'm still hurting. Whether it be because of what happens at the end, or because it was the end, you'll find out. And you'll fully understand! Hobb's ability to drag you into her world and make you fully care about the people in it is a gift indeed. Buy the series, read them and rejoice you finally did (they have been around a bit after all).

The Castle of Adventure (Original Adventure Series)
The Castle of Adventure (Original Adventure Series)
by Enid Blyton

5.0 out of 5 stars This started it all!, 17 Sept. 2003
Must be going back at least 18 years to when I saw this book in the local library and thought I'd give it a go. I wasn't a reader at all in those days (the books I borrowed were mostly reference) but the cover looked so exciting. Anyhow, started it, read it in one night and couldn't get enough of Blyton afterwards. The start of a wonderful journey for me and a book I really owe my love of reading to.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2013 8:24 PM BST