Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos
Profile for Igor > Reviews

Content by Igor

Igor

Page: 1 | 2
The Erotica Handbook: (How to Write Erotica) A guide to making $100 an hour writing erotica short stories and selling them online

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun and Useful Guide, 2 July 2016
A short, but very informative book written in a down to earth manner. I have always been curious about how to write erotic fiction which is why I bought this book. Sensible advice about getting ideas without being too patronizing.

Wormwood
Wormwood
by Poppy Z. Brite
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Borewood, 9 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Wormwood (Mass Market Paperback)
Tedious!

How this writer ever got published is beyond me. I bought this item purely on some of the rave reviews I'd read on Amazon. Well, I'm sorry to say that I've never been as bored in a long while. First, Poppy Z. Brite is not as clever as she thinks. Second, when an obscure writer is waxing lyrical about the book in question you know that the stories within are going to be a load of old hogwash! And boy, was this book heavy going. The characters and stories were hackneyed and predictable, so much so, that I found myself skipping through the pages in frustration!
One story had two characters lost on the New York subway - and that was it - page after page of mindless guff which seemed to go on forever. Needless to say I skipped this story too.

And don't get me started on the story set in India - another load of old tosh! Brite's writing style is pretentious in the extreme, full of pseudo meaningful nonsense which leads nowhere. and that is the sum of this book: I did not like or care about the characters, because they simply were not real. Indeed, this writer comes across as a depressed Goth going on and on and on about nothing in particular. I can only assume she got these stories published because she writes about gay men. I have several gay friends and none of them behave in the way she describes. Perhaps if Miss Brite had her own style, and stopped trying to be Anne Rice, (Who writes this sort of stuff much better), then her stories may be more gripping. I certainly won't be reading any more of this writers work!

Avoid this book unless you enjoy being bored and spoken down to by a writer who has turned mediocrity into an art form!

The Music of John Williams: 40 Years Of Film Music
The Music of John Williams: 40 Years Of Film Music

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Hit & Miss, 15 Oct. 2013
Overall, this CD set is very good. You get all of John Williams early scores right up to his most recent " Catch Me If You Can".

There are, however some duds. The theme from Jaws is not good, which is a shame as it is one of the composers most famous scores. The City of Prauge Philharmonic just do not seem to have their hearts in playing this track. Worse is Raiders of the Lost Ark. It is played to quickly and if I'm honest, I've never really liked this music as it just comes across as boring. Indeed, the same theme is repeated throughout the score and I can't understand why so much play time was given to these themes.

The theme to Jurassic Park is just terrible. The orchestra seem out of time and again, this score is not one I like. I just think it boring. Maybe John Williams was having a bad day!

To be fair, the orchestra redeem themselves with the rest of the themes played on this album. For me, the best is disk three as this has all the classic scores Mr Williams wrote between 1966 and 1979. Outstanding tracks are The Fury; Dracula; The Towering Inferno; Jane Eyre.

The Ultimate James Bond Film Music Collection
The Ultimate James Bond Film Music Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 15 Oct. 2013
This four box set is just amazing. Sit back and remember all your favourite Bond movies. They are all here, everything from Dr NO to Die Another Day. The arrangements are just perfect and I'm sure the late, great John Barry would approve. Every single track on this CD is outstanding. The Dawn Raid on Fort Knox from Goldfinger is just brilliant. Indeed, you get several tracks from each movie. I forgot how beautiful the score to Diamonds Are Forever is. Haunting and exciting in equal measure.

If you love Bond films then you'll love this CD.

Classic Film Scores: Captain From Castile
Classic Film Scores: Captain From Castile

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Short, 15 Oct. 2013
Not bad, but I did feel slightly let down by this CD. There is not enough time to get to know the music before it ends. Also, I felt that this was a somewhat rushed album. The playing is excellent and it does what it says on the tin but for my money, just too short.

Rachmaninov: The Piano Concertos / Paganini Rhapsody
Rachmaninov: The Piano Concertos / Paganini Rhapsody

5.0 out of 5 stars Encore!, 15 Oct. 2013
This is a fantastic CD with all of Rachmaninvov's piano concertos played with great warmth and style by Valentina Lisita and the London Symphony Orchestra. This is an album you'll want to play again and again. This lady plays with tremendous passion and if its passion you want then you will get it on this superb collection.

Beethoven: Complete Symphonies
Beethoven: Complete Symphonies

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo, 15 Oct. 2013
Well done to the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra for another outstanding CD.

Each symphony is played to perfection and the sound quality is excellent. The price is very reasonable too and you won't be disappointed by this CD. My favourite symphonies are: 5, 7, 8 & 9. But the others are great as well.

Beethoven: Missa Solemnis
Beethoven: Missa Solemnis

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving Music, 15 Oct. 2013
This is a lovely CD of one of Beethoven's most famous pieces of music.

Just sit back and let this stunning music wash over you. The New Philharmonia Orchestra are brilliant along with the choir, and bring great dignity to this excellent work. Go on - treat yourself!

Great Movie Themes [Davis, Rlpo]
Great Movie Themes [Davis, Rlpo]

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Classic Album, 15 Oct. 2013
Where do I begin?

This CD id one of the best film themes CDs I've ever heard. The Liverpool Philharmonic are on top form with every track. There is not one theme I do not like. Carl Davis brings his own style, and boy, what style!

The album opens with Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Liverpool Philharmonic really go to town on this one. Next is John Barry's lovely Out of Africa. Spider-Man is an exciting theme played with great style. For me, one of the most outstanding tracks is Forrest Gump - is is really something - played to perfection and moving too.

I highly recommend this CD to anyone who loves film themes played by a really superb orchestra.

Classic Film Scores: Citizen Kane
Classic Film Scores: Citizen Kane
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable CD, 15 Oct. 2013
Citizen Kane is a great CD with lots of lush arrangements. Overall, it is excellent, if a little on the short side - the entire CD is only about fifty minutes long. For me the best track has to be Concerto Macabre. It is just stunning with the National Philharmonic Orchestra giving it every thing they've got. Citizen Kane was another outstanding track.

My least favourite was White Witch Doctor. I just found it boring and not that good. It is a great shame that Vertigo was not included: this has to be one of the composers best scores.

Page: 1 | 2