Profile for Singular > Reviews

Content by Singular

Singular

Kindle E-reader, 6" Glare-Free Touchscreen Display, Wi-Fi (White) - Includes Special Offers (Previous generation - 7th)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 11 Dec. 2015
Great reader. I had an old Kindle, 4th model or something. Almost (but not quite - my cover didn't fit) the same size as this, and I was very happy with it but the battery was starting to die a bit. The touchscreen is a welcome addition, and the white colour is smart looking.

The Fire tablets are great too, but I kindof like my e-book reader as simple as possible.

The Line War (Agent Cormac Book 5)
The Line War (Agent Cormac Book 5)

2.0 out of 5 stars The earlier stuff is better..., 21 Sept. 2015
I am a bit amazed that it took me so many Neal Asher books to realise that he isn't very good. I read The Skinner first, and then Gridlinked. Both were excellent, but each series gradually went downhill. By the time you get to this fifth Cormac book, its pretty tired.

Two things that grate on me (in addition to the variable quality of the writing):

Asher is (verging on) a right wing crank who just cannot resist making political points in his writing. Now that wouldn't bother me so much if he hadn't ripped off someone who does the same, but from the left - Iain Banks. Asher's polity owes so much to the Culture - its like he has blatantly copied so many of Banks' ideas, and reversed his philosophy as a big middle finger at him. As far as I know, Asher has never acknowledged his debt. The fact he can cite any other authors as inspiration, and never mention Banks, is patently ridiculous.

Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick
Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick
Offered by Rapid Warehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stick at a great price..., 6 Sept. 2015
Can't fault this stick at all. I needed one for a certain game (yeah me and a million others), but couldn't really justify spending £40+ on a thrustmaster. I am so impressed with the build quality and feel of the Black Widow - and it's really comfortable to use. This is an absolute steal at the asking price - I actually feel like I've ripped off the manufacturers.

2 things. It doesn't have a twist-to-yaw function - that axis is handled by a big meaty rocker switch, which suits me fine. Also, the stick and throttle don't separate, so if you want to sit them either side of your monitor, this is not the stick for you. I kindof prefer having my hands closer together anyway.

Dark Space
Dark Space

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 7 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Dark Space (Kindle Edition)
I didn't make it to the third chapter. Under these circumstances, I normally wouldn't dream of submitting a review. But this book is just so bad.

Do not buy this, even for 77p. The prose is so stilted, clichéd and juvenile, that it started to hurt my eyeballs and brain.

I usually trust the aggregate Amazon score, but for this to get 4.5 stars, something is wrong.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2013 3:14 PM GMT

Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs Book 1)
Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great grubby SF, 7 May 2013
I actually read the third Takeshi Kovacs book ("Woken Furies") first, and loved that, so I went back to the beginning.

If you like grubby SF, cyberpunk, slightly dystopian visions of the future or detective yarns, then you will like this book.

Tales From Earthsea [DVD]
Tales From Earthsea [DVD]
Dvd ~ Goro Miyazaki

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointing., 16 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Tales From Earthsea [DVD] (DVD)
I've loved both the Earthsea books and Studio Ghibli films. If you are a fan of either avoid this like the plague - it's a hacked together travesty of all four books, except when it actually just excises the best bits and inserts cliches in their place.

The animation is good. So the turd has at least been polished.