Profile for Review-Shrew > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
No7 Pop & Glow Cream Blush Rose Blossom rose blossom
No7 Pop & Glow Cream Blush Rose Blossom rose blossom

4.0 out of 5 stars Pop & Glow Blush Stick - Pretty Slick!, 21 Feb. 2017
Cream blushers are great for drier and/or more mature skins. Being 40+, I am trying to switch from my usual favoured powders to a cream blush.

I tried this stick style because I don't like the idea of using a sponge or putting my fingers straight into the container. I love the push-up lipstick style of this blush. It's perfect and so easy to use. The cream goes on really easily - no drag and no interfering with your foundation below. I then blend with fingers onto my skin.

It has great staying power on my skin and I never have to reapply it through the day. I can see this stick lasting me a long time, so it's great value.

My ONLY gripe is the colour. It's really a bit on the bright side for me. I am very pale-skinned and also maybe a bit on the older side for such bright popping cheeks! To be honest, I feel a bit clownish in it if I'm not careful. I need to apply very sparingly and blend very well.

FOUR-STAR RATING FROM ME BECAUSE:
*convenience and easy-to-use packaging
**long-lasting on skin.
***value for money.
****blends easily on skin
One star OFF because colour is pretty bright!

I will attach a photo to this review to help you further.

Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 Hour Foundation with Comfort Serum - Ivory
Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 Hour Foundation with Comfort Serum - Ivory

1.0 out of 5 stars Thick 'n' Cakey - Big Mistakey!!, 3 Dec. 2016
Sorry I bought this.

I don't think this is good for mature dry/dehydrated skin like mine.

Colour was good (I am very pale) but just too sticky, thick and cakey. Highlighted lines and pores I didn't know I had! Not a good look at all.

Coverage was very full, if that's what you are looking for, you won't be disappointed.

I think on younger skin this could be a good foundation, but definitely not for the older ladies.

I usually manage to use products up, even if they aren't my favourite. However, I cannot possibly persevere with this and so into the bin it goes. Thank goodness it was cheap!

The Grand Tour Season 1
The Grand Tour Season 1
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars The ex-Top Gear guys are on Top Form in this Grand Tour!, 20 Nov. 2016
Well, the boys are back in town and it's been worth the wait!

The intro was humorous, poking fun at the end of Clarkson's BBC career and showing him travelling towards bigger, better and brighter things against a soundtrack of the old Johnny Nash hit, "I Can See Clearly Now". I was totally surprised where they ended up and enjoyed the laughs they had with their American audience.

They showed a short montage of things to come and there is so much to get excited about. The new format is based on touring the world "like gypsies but with car insurance". Their new racetrack (dubbed the "Eboladrome" for its likeness in shape to the virus) is located at a former RAF airfield at Wroughton near Swindon.

All the wit, easy camaraderie and tomfoolery fans love was still very much in evidence, like they'd never been away. It's still a show by petrolheads for petrolheads, who should have been satisfied with the race between a Porsche 918, a McLaren P1 and a Ferrari LaFerrari.

This show was just fantastic and to be honest I never expected it to be anything but fantastic. These guys WERE Top Gear. The BBC can keep the copyright and whatever they want, but they have lost the heart and soul of the show in letting these guys go. Creative people don't run dry and will bloom where planted. In fact, the boys will go from strength to strength now with a bigger budget and more freedom. It's a win-win for both them and fans alike.

Next stop Johannesburg - why don't you come along for the ride?

Groom Professional 12 Tooth Coat King, Medium
Groom Professional 12 Tooth Coat King, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant tool - makes grooming quicker for your dog and you!, 12 Sept. 2016
Amazing!!!! I saw this recommended for Cairn Terriers on a youTube video I watched. Thought I'd give it a try. I was impressed by the video, but reckoned that a lot of it was the woman's technique. I have no experience of grooming dogs, but I was amazed at how well this worked! It says not to use it against the grain of fur to avoid excessive cutting. So I will use it in direction of fur and use a pin-brush afterwards. It got out far more dead fur than I was getting with the pin-brush alone. Very impressed indeed!

Rimmel London Volume Flash Mascara - Waterproof Black 8ml
Rimmel London Volume Flash Mascara - Waterproof Black 8ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Flash those lashes with Rimmel!, 8 Jan. 2016
RIMMEL HELPS YOU FLASH THOSE LASHES!

We may all agree that pandas look cute. However, I don’t know about you, but whenever my mascara runs I look more like Alice Cooper than a cute panda! Therefore, I need the assurance my mascara will adhere to my lashes all day and night, if necessary.

I have given this product 5 stars because I just cannot find a fault with it.

1. Completely waterproof. Will even last through a shower - the bathroom kind and the rain outside kind.
2. Jet black – a lovely dark black, quite intense.
3. Dries super-fast. I cannot stand waiting for coats to dry. This is ready to re-coat faster than any other mascara I’ve used.
4. Builds a bit of volume into my short, thin, straight lashes. Noticeably increases volume, but doesn’t build up like falsies or anything that dramatic (at my age, that’s maybe for the best).
5. Holds a curl beautifully! My lashes are straight and this mascara really locks in the curl after I’ve used my curlers. Some mascaras don’t, I find, and lashes can start to droop down quite soon after.
6. Although perfectly waterproof, I can get it to melt off using my trusty Johnson’s Makeup Be Gone wipes.
7. Cost very reasonable compared to most other drugstore mascaras and certainly a lot cheaper than your high-end stuff.

I can’t believe I’ve only just now got around to reviewing this. I have in fact been using it for years and years, since it first came out. It really appeals to me because I am a make-up minimalist, especially first thing in the morning. I want something that is easy to use, fast-drying and holds my eyelashes in a curled position without me having to re-do them. I just want to get going in a FLASH!

I believe this product has been discontinued now, so am buying up what I can until I find a suitable substitute. I would have used this forever otherwise.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2016 10:28 AM GMT

Bourjois 123 Perfect CC Cream Ivory
Bourjois 123 Perfect CC Cream Ivory
Offered by Jaks Beauty Parlour

5.0 out of 5 stars This CC makes skin as easy as 1-2-3!, 7 Jan. 2016
I have fallen in love with this CC cream. This is my second tube. When I first tried this, I wasn’t sure. I am used to using foundations, but now feel they are a bit heavy. The older I get, the more I want to keep things light. Too much make-up only seems to highlight fine lines these days. These are all the rage, it seems. By the end of my first tube, I’d fallen in love with this. I am now on my second tube.

I have rated this product with 5 stars as it is very, very good indeed.

COVERAGE
Very good! My skin is blemish-free. However, if I have darker eye circles or ruddier cheeks on any given day, I’d need to use a bit of concealer too. I see the range has a matching concealer which I may try soon and review.

COLOUR + SPF
Brilliant! I am very pale-skinned, with cheeks that flush easily. According to the Melanoma Foundation, my skin type is Celtic Type 1 (the palest of all). I often have great difficulty finding foundations/CC creams that are not too dark/orange. Sometimes, I can be fooled, and they start off looking fine, but then oxidize - later turning orange on me behind my back! Very embarrassing. I now test stuff for a full day at home before going out. I picked No. 31 “Ivory” which was the lightest they have. When I first saw the colour, I wasn’t at all sure it would work for me, but to my surprise, it settled on my skin and looked entirely natural. Thrilled with this as I have often had to throw stuff out after one or two uses because the colour was just too odd and unnatural-looking. It also has an SPF of 15 – important for all of us. I burn easily and never tan so I really need this.

FEELING ON SKIN
Gives moisture. My skin is over 40 and quite dry. This CC cream is marketed as having 24-hour moisturisation. I feel that it does live up to this claim, as my skin is not thirsty at the end of the day. I am careful to use a good moisturiser underneath though and also use a 2-in-1 moisturising primer on top of that. I have also given up powder as it is supposed to be ageing and dries out my skin even more. Provided I do all this, I do find that the CC does not dry out my skin. The application is very smooth. The liquid is more watery than some other CC creams, but don’t pour out too much and you’ll be fine. It glides over the skin very well. It applies very quickly. At the same time, it does not go all sticky and take ages to dry. I like to get moving in the morning and hate waiting around for products to sink in or dry so I can move on to the next step in my routine.

LASTING POWER
I think this lasts really well. It doesn’t go patchy at the end of the day or disappear on my skin. I don’t live in a place with high pollution, however, and I am in clean country air. Maybe that helps?

In summary, I think this a great CC cream for me. Despite being a thinnish liquid, I am surprised at the coverage this still provides. As mentioned, if I am particularly tired (dark eye circles) or a bit hot and bothered (red, flushed cheeks) this isn’t quite enough coverage, but then it is a CC cream and not a foundation. The price is good and I have found the CC cream goes a long way. I couldn’t believe it didn’t run out sooner. The colour surprised me, as I have so much difficulty matching colour and with only 3 shades available, I wasn’t expecting much. It’s a long time since I’ve purchased the same foundation or CC cream twice. I always feel I could find better. This is my second tube of Bourjois CC 123 cream and I think I may stock up while I can '
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2016 8:36 AM GMT

Bourjois Little Round Pot Blusher Rose D'Or
Bourjois Little Round Pot Blusher Rose D'Or
Offered by Beauty Store Uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Can’t get enough of these cute little Bourjois Blushers!, 7 Jan. 2016
I have been using Bourjois blushers for YEARS. Did you know that they now own Chanel? So you are getting a very high-end style product in terms of quality without the price tag. When I need a new blusher, I’ll sometimes go into Boots and have a look around, but always end up coming out with a Bourjois blusher. I just never see anything else that takes my fancy and ticks all the boxes at the same price these do.

I have rated this product with 5 stars as I cannot see any downside to it.

I am a low-maintenance girl and love the fact that these blushers all come with their own little brush and mirror. I get on fine with it. I know some people with more expertise will want to use their own, bigger brushes as it is meant to give a better application. However, I just like to slap on my make-up and go and this seems to do the trick fine for me. I just like the brush to be in the case when I need it. The mirror and brush also make this blusher a terrific choice for your handbag or when travelling.

The colour range is superb. What a choice! Bourjois are always adding new colours and special editions to the range. Some blushers have a little sheen or glitter to them, others are more matte-looking. It is probably best to see them in-store, really, although at these prices you could also take a chance buying online.

The shade I have bought this time is Rose D’Or (translation: Golden Rose) which is perfect for me. It’s a pretty shade of pink, not too deep for my pale skin, and has a subtle shimmer which stops it looking too flat.

The blushers are hard-baked so they don’t crumble easily and you just get what you need coming off on the brush. I find I don’t have to tap to shake off excess product. Very economical.

In summary, I am a real fan of Bourjois blushers. IMO, they are hard to beat. The packaging is almost too cute for words – that little round box, with its magnetic clasp, built-in mirror and little curved brush is just adorable. The blusher itself is high-quality and long-lasting. The colour choice is extensive. At these high-street chemist prices, you could build up a nice wardrobe of colours to ring the changes.

Definitely one to try, even if you are used to higher-priced blushers.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2016 10:43 PM GMT

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars This review is for Ortisan Fruit & Fibres Cubes WITHOUT Senna, 7 Jan. 2016
I don’t suppose I need to elaborate on why I am purchasing this product! We are all the best experts on our own bodies and you will no doubt already know whether your body requires an ingredient such as Senna. I used to buy Ortisan cubes containing Senna. Very effective and they have been sold and used for many years. Going by the picture above, it seems I bought some new formula minus the Senna. My own fault! However, I can still post a review on what I thought about the product received.

I have given this product 3 stars because I find that, without the Senna, its efficacy is greatly reduced.

1. I like the taste, but then I love things like figs, dates, prunes…..
2. You chew the cube, no pill to swallow. Great for people like myself who have a bit of anxiety about pill-swallowing.
3. Adjustable dose. You can take half a cube or a whole cube, depending on your needs.
4. Quite expensive to use prophylactically. However, if you have tried everything else and this product really suits, it’s likely a small price to pay
compared to the misery of constipation.
5. Doesn’t cause urgency for me so I don’t feel I need to rush to the loo.
6. I find this just doesn’t work very well for my body. I could eat two of these with no ill-effects. I need the Senna for it to work.

In summary, this product is likely best for people who have occasional constipation or who just need a little help. For those of you who think you would like this fruity-cube type of product but who have more sluggish bowels, it might be worth trying a box of the original formula with Senna. This box has a red panel on the right. Ortisan also sell Senna & Frangula - 100 Tablets for those of you who want the Senna, are okay with tablets, and who don’t like chewing fruity cubes. Something for everyone!

Cost-wise, it must be noted that if Senna is your magic ingredient for your body, it is cheapest of all just to pick up a box of Senna tablets in Boots or Tesco’s own brand. No frills or extras, just the Senna.

Health-wise, please go to NHS Choices website for more information about laxatives in general and Senna in particular for important medical advice.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2016 8:47 PM BST

Rimmel Volume Flash X 10 Waterproof Instant Thickening Mascara, Black
Rimmel Volume Flash X 10 Waterproof Instant Thickening Mascara, Black
Offered by Beauty Porter

5.0 out of 5 stars RIMMEL HELPS YOU FLASH THOSE LASHES!, 6 Jan. 2016

I have given this product 5 stars because I just cannot find a fault with it.

2. Jet black – a lovely dark black, quite intense.
4. Builds a bit of volume into my short, thin, straight lashes. Noticeably increases volume, but doesn’t build up like falsies or anything that dramatic. At my age, that’s maybe for the best.
5. Holds a curl beautifully! My lashes are straight and this mascara really locks in the curl after I’ve used my curlers. Some mascaras don’t, I find, and lashes can start to droop down quite soon after and may need re-curling.
6. Good brush which enables a smooth application. No gunk and lumps. I never need to comb my lashes separately or anything.
7. Although perfectly waterproof, I can get it to melt off easily using my trusty Johnson’s Makeup Be Gone wipes.
8. Cost very reasonable compared to most other drugstore mascaras and certainly a lot cheaper than your high-end stuff.

EDITED TO ADD: Please note that the "x 10" refers to the product name (see the pic of the tube) and does NOT mean you will receive 10 mascaras. Please be aware of this, as it might be confusing to those of you who are not familiar with this product. Thanks.

Ladies Famous Make Lilac Spot Fleece Long Sleeved Nightdress Sizes 8-10 12-14 16-18 20-22 24-26 (24-26, LILAC SPOT)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fleecy Heaven!, 8 Dec. 2015
What a fantastic nightie! So fleecy and warm - just what I need to get me through a UK Winter. I want another one or two now in different colours.

Washes and tumble-dries perfectly. Nice and long for me (I'm 5ft 10") so very happy and warm indeed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2016 10:44 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5