Profile for Pat C > Reviews

Chaplin [DVD]
Chaplin [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Downey Jr.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chaplin, 4 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Chaplin [DVD] (DVD)
Saw this film years ago. It has stood the test of time and is as good now as it was then. Robert Downey jr is Chaplin.

Valkyrie [DVD]
Valkyrie [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise

5.0 out of 5 stars Valkyrie, 11 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Valkyrie [DVD] (DVD)
Having read some of the reviews already on Amazon I wasn't sure if I wanted to purchase this movie, but I did
and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Unlike some I found Tom Cruise to be excellent in the part, the entire cast were
superb. All this only goes to prove you have to trust your own instincts and not be swayed by other opinions.
As the story unfolded it became clear that just getting rid of Hitler would not have changed the outcome of WW11,
all of his second in command his 'heirs' also had to be removed. Sadly all attempts to remove this murderer failed.
It also showed that not all German soldiers were Nazi killers but professional soldiers who absolutely did not agree or approve of Adolf Hitler.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars The Agony and the Ecstasy, 21 Mar. 2009
This film made in 1965 stands the test of time well. If you are interested in Italian art especially Michelangelo this is for you. It tells the story of the conception and painting of the ceiling of the sistene chapel and the reluctance of Michelangelo (Charlton Heston) to accept the commision, arguing that he is not a painter but a sculpter.Well we all know he did a pretty good job. Rex Harrison as the Pope is very good. This is visually excellent and historically fairly accurate.

The Good German [DVD] [2006]
The Good German [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ George Clooney
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars The Good German, 21 Mar. 2009
This review is from: The Good German [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
A dissapointing attempt I thought. Having read the book I was expecting better. Too much use of the F word (not in the book) which for me personally becomes really boring. Cate Blanchet was not up to her usual standard, and Toby McGuire should stick to Spiderman. Filming in black and white was a good idea and did give it a post war feel. This could have been such a good film knowing now in 2000's what double dealing went on between the Russians Americans and British over the division of Berlin, and the race to get the German scientists.

Heavens Above! [DVD]
Heavens Above! [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Sellers
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavens Above, 21 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Heavens Above! [DVD] (DVD)
A much gentler Peter Sellars but still a good film. Irene Handl very good as always. Not quite the appeal as other Sellars movies but worth watching

I'm All Right Jack [DVD]
I'm All Right Jack [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian Carmichael

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm All Right Jack, 21 Mar. 2009
This review is from: I'm All Right Jack [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent Excellent, Peter Sellars at his Ealing best, before he became Hollywoodised. The entire cast were the very best of British comedy. Irene Handl as Mum is superb. What more can I say buy it and have a really good laugh.

North And South - Book 3 [DVD]
North And South - Book 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Phillip Casnoff
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars North and South Book 3, 21 Mar. 2009
I was dissapointed in book 3 Dvd. I feel it lost the continuity present in books 1 and 2, mainly in my opinion due to yet more cast changes. I realise the series was filmed over a long period of time and original cast members were probably not available, the storyline became slightly silly. I haven't read the books so I don't know how closely they kept to the story. No I wouldn't recomend it.