Profile for Ghost > Reviews

Content by Ghost

Ghost "Ghost" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
HeroNeo® Silicone Manatee Diffuser Infuser Loose Tea Leaf Strainer Herbal Spice Filter
Offered by Z-siney

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll have manatee strong thanks! (pardon the pun) ............, 20 Feb. 2015
Sometimes you just need a little bit of charming silliness in your life, and this wee chap in the shape of a manatee, or possibly a dugong, really steps up to the mark. Made from silicone, he is not only a handful of smiles but also very useful at making a cuppa for you! As shown in the photos he pops open around the middle to allow you to fill him up with loose tea. After easily putting him back together again, he then happily sits in your mug, languishing over the rim while he steeps your brew. You just can't help but smile at him he is so cute! The sculpt of his face is really very well done, with a lot of charm and humour; and as a fellow reviewer mentioned he looks like he is about to encourage you to enjoy your tea. Initially I bought him to use in work but he hasn't made it out of the house yet (due to family opposition) so I may have to invest in another.

And now for the practical stuff, the silicone doesn't get hot in the mug so you can easy fish him out when your tea is at the required strength. It also leaves no residual taste in your drink and is easy to clean. Manny (as he has been named in our house, not very innovative I know!) didn't come in a box so if you want to buy it as a present you may want to keep that in mind. He did come in a plastic bag in a jiffy envelope though and well protected, although being rubbery there was little chance of any damage happening in the post. For the ridiculously low price I paid I didn't expect retail packaging anyway.

If there was one complaint, he took quite a while to arrive as I was unaware the packet was coming from China. And the wait did make me think he might have come via Florida ................

Buy, smile, drink tea and smile more. You will never get bored of the cheeky happy grin peering out over the cup edge at you. Kids will love it too although you may never get it back off them!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky Earphone by Quarkie, 23 Dec. 2014
Having just taken the plunge and bought these I am absolutely delighted with them.

Initially I was put off with some comments calling them heavy to wear, but in all honesty I find them not much heavier than my creative earphones which also fit in the ear canal.

They come with four sizes of ear tips and I have discovered that they fit far better than my current earphones and prove to offer far better noise isolation. The actual earphone (as can be seen from the photo) has a two part design which ergonomically fits your ear. The 'Eye' sticks out quite a bit but I understand that part of the sound driver (or something like that!) is located in it. I was concerned that this could mean they would be easy to knock out of your ear, but having tested them with vigorous brushing they stay firmly in.

Now onto the important stuff. The sound quality is really REALLY good. The bass is well balanced and the sound is crisp and defined. It has to be admitted that I am not an Audiophile but I found them really impressive, especially for the ludicrously low price I paid for them last week (I got them for 90% off because they have been discontinued). Even at low volumes you can hear no outside noise and at higher volumes they remain crystal clear with no distortion. PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM LOUDLY THOUGH, you can damage your hearing. I tested them up to comfortable limits!

Now down to the construction. They come with four sets of ear tips as I mentioned, so that you get the perfect fit. They also come with an earphone splitter added for good measure. The cables are wrapped in a fine webbing and have a silver microphone and pause button inserted into the right earphone cable so that if used with a phone you can accept calls. Very handy too if you just want to pause your music.

The design itself is really funky and thankfully they look exactly like they do in the photo, although the red eye centres are translucent plastic which catches and reflects the light. They have been really well sculpted with good texture detail and are far more subdued in appearance than the bright yellow snake eye variant. You will get noticed wearing them but they don't scream 'look at me!!'.

All in all I am absolutely delighted with them, although I would never have paid the full RRP price. It's fun to note that they come in lots of other versions, snake eyes, cats eyes, green and yellow snake heads and purple gems. There is even a pair that resemble rusty bolts.

My advice, pick 'em up cheap and enjoy! Just beware that they may be chameleon eyes, but you will be the one getting lots of looks!

Daler - Rowney FW 29.5ml Acrylic Art Ink Bottle - Olive Green
Daler - Rowney FW 29.5ml Acrylic Art Ink Bottle - Olive Green
Offered by The SAA

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I had hoped for., 20 Dec. 2014
Having always used Winsor and Newton and the now discontinued Planet inks I thought I would give the Daler ones a try.

Firstly I was a little put off by the fact the ink was opaque, my other inks are translucent. I was a bit concerned at this as it really looks like watered down gouache. Thankfully the ink does appear to wash well and mixes with gouache and acrylic paints, but it does not create the same glossy finish as the Winsor and Newton shellac based inks, nor is it such a brilliant or vibrant colour either.

If you are looking for a perfect medium to go through an airbrush then the Daler inks would be ideal, but if you want luminosity and pure colour I recommend the Winsor and Newton. I will certainly use this and the other bottle of ink I have by Daler, but for my needs I find them less versatile, and fail to provide the transparency and purity of colour I prefer.

I would also say that this really isn't a very good Olive green colour, it is too yellow and not enough blue based. In light wash it looks more pale lime in hue than olive, which was very disappointing.

Faber-Castell TG1 - S 0.25mm Technical Drawing Pen
Faber-Castell TG1 - S 0.25mm Technical Drawing Pen

5.0 out of 5 stars Precision Pen for Illustrators, Architects and Arty folk., 16 Dec. 2014
This really is an amazing piece of engineering in pen form. It will always draw a perfect line of the exact width time and time again. Unlike fine liner pens or any fibre nib pen, it will never 'splay' on the end due to pressure and cause a wider mark than wanted.

These Technical Pens have a metal nib which is essentially a fine tube with a fine wire running down the centre of it. When you draw or write the wire is pressed up releasing a plunger type cap and so the ink is released down the centre of the nib. This also means that you cannot use the pen holding it at an angle or the wire will not get pressed in enough to release the ink. Although it feels strange at first you soon get used to holding the pen perpendicular to the surface you are working on.

The only draw back with them is they need to be well cared for. If the nib dries out it can be fatal (although soaking it over night often cleans it out) and you must never use them with any kind of pressure on the nib as it can damage or clog it with paper fibres.

It is also essential to use the correct ink, never use winsor and newton drawing inks in it. Those inks usually dry waterproof and are not designed to flow through a technical pen. I speak from experience having watched a colleague ruin one of his completing an illustration.

Each pen comes with a nib remover (a tube with a thread running on the inside of one end) which you screw onto the nib to then pull it free of the pen body. This then reveals the ink reservoir and it can be filled from here. The nib is then just pushed back in for using again.

If you are serious about draftsmanship and precision in a drawing implement this really is a perfect addition to your equipment. I personally have used Faber Castell Tech Pens for over 25 years and wouldn't swap them for anything as they are just perfect for line illustrations etc.

One thing to bear in mind though is that the nibs do wear out over time as paper is abrasive and it wears the internal wire down on the nib, but the nibs can be bought on their own so you can just replace them and not the whole pen. They are far more cost effective than disposable drawing pens and far more reliable. The line quality is perfect and the Faber Castell Ink is far blacker than disposable pens.

The TG1s come in a variety of sizes, but personally I would not go smaller than the 0.25 as they become harder to look after the finer the nib gets, but if your work requires it then you can get much finer nibs, and likewise you can get far larger ones.

Buy one, try it and then fall in love with it. You simply can't buy a better quality Technical pen.

Many thank for reading!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sounding Earphones with an Eye for Design ............................., 11 Dec. 2014

One disappointing thing was that the earphones are not quite as they appear in the photo shown. They paint job is far less detailed and they are VERY yellow, you will get noticed at if you wear them outside! There are lots of pics online so check them out if you are unsure of them. Personally though the performance far outweighs the looks, and besides, some people may love them being bright and funky.

All in all I am absolutely delighted with them, although I would never have paid the full RRP price. It's fun to note that they come in lots of other versions, chameleon eyes, cats eyes, green and yellow snake heads and purple gems. There is even a pair that resemble rusty bolts.

My advice, pick 'em up cheap and enjoy! Just beware that they may be snake eyes, but you will be the one getting lots of looks!

Universal Classic Monsters - The Essential Collection [Blu-ray] [1931] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Boris Karloff

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous Monsters at a Chilling Cheap Price., 6 Dec. 2014
It was with a certain amount of trepidation that I bought this box set. "How on earth can they get these shining gems of early horror look good enough for Blu ray?" I asked myself. Actually it was more a statement of "I hope they don't look crap".

Well they look absolutely amazing! The movies have been lovingly restored and are as crisp as a fresh iceberg lettuce. As a child I would watch these movies when they were shown as a Friday night double bill. Ever since they have held a special place in my heart and I am truly delighted that they have been made available in such a fabulous quality. If I was to make one adverse comment it would be about the audio quality in a couple of the movies. There is a mild but audible hiss, which is often present in old movies, however it does not detract from the enjoyment of watching them.

The box set includes Dracula, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, Phantom of the Opera, The Wolf Man, The Mummy and The Creature From the Black Lagoon. Each disc is printed with a section from the original movie poster ans they are housed in a four-fold digi-pak, each section being printed so they show through the transparent disc holders. In addition to the beautifully presented digi-pak a set of movie postcards and a well thought out booklet are included. The whole lot is then housed in a card slipcase.

To compliment each movie there is a selection of documentaries, movie stills etc which are a great watch in their own right. The documentary on Lon Chaney Jr was especially good. Each movie is pretty short, being about 75 mins, but the actors pack a lot into the time and you just don't get a chance to get bored. They are masterpieces of chilling suspense and horror and Dwight Frye was genuinely disturbing as Renfield, in Dracula. In fact so many of the actors are masterful at giving you the heebie jeebies, Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Elsa Lanchester to name but a few of the cast of these movies.

If you want to recapture the Horror Genre of old, escaping from the overtly graphic and plotless offerings in the cinemas today, then this box set is an absolute essential. It is a collection of classic movies at a stupidly low price, and you can return to them again and again and still be amazed by the clarity of the transfer and the love that was lavished on their creation and restoration.

Watch them as an afternoon treat or an evening marathon, cuddle-up in winter to them or save them for Halloween. Watch them how you want, but remember to lock your door and check behind the sofa first.

Thanks for reading!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2016 6:28 PM BST

Sony BDPS1200 Smart Blu-ray Disc Player (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Sony BDPS1200 Smart Blu-ray Disc Player (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Little Player at a Perfectly Small Price., 12 Nov. 2014
After having little success with a LG Blu-ray player, this model seemed like a good alternative.

This little player actually exceeded my expectations in pretty much every respect. The picture quality is sharp and detailed and during action sequences there is no tracer/distortion, something that I notice on my other Blu-ray player that is two years old.

The BDPS1200 comes with a robust little remote control and a power adapter only. No HDMI cable, but this is common with most home entertainment devices these days. It does not have a display screen, however you can access details onscreen if necessary. Personally I like not having a digital display on it as the player is used in a bedroom, the only light on the device is the on button which is actually situated on the top with the light on the front edge. Next to it is the eject button, both are part of the same large flat triangular button, and these are the only controls that exist on the unit. All other functions are accessed by its small remote. The connections on the back are HDMI and an Ethernet port for connecting to your broadband router. On the front is a usb port.

The player comes with quite a few apps, including Youtube, IPlayer, Demand 5 Netflix, Love Film and Amazon movie streaming. Facebook is included also. There is even a Netflix button on the remote. The internet connection is easy and relatively quick to set up, so easy in fact that I haven't even read the manual yet. In addition to online access the player copes with pretty much all the file formats you can throw at it, MKV, MP4, XVID, etc which is really handy. The only down side I have found is that it will not read My 64gb SD card (in a USB adapter). Having said that though my TV won't either so I'm not surprised, but I am a little disappointed.

One thing some reviewers (across the internet) have mentioned is that the user interface of the player is a bit outdated. If anyone has a PS3 or even a PSP they will recognise the format. If not you may find the menus a bit odd at first. A brief description is that six main Icons appear horizontally across the screen they are 'set-up', 'photo', 'music', video', 'network' and 'Sony entertainment network'. Toggling across to each icon then opens up a vertical list of sub categories. It takes a while to get used to the navigation but once you do it does make sense.

The overall design of the player is far better than the photo shows. The pyramid shaped top is far more subtle and the front and sides slope downward and inward. It's actually a nice looking piece of equipment that feel solid and well put together. The front, top panel is a glossy black though which does show up fingerprints though, let alone dust. Other reviewers have pointed out that shape also means that you cannot stack any other devices on top of it. Personally I never stack devices unless they are built specifically to do that (like a HiFi).

Possibly the best thing about the BDPS1200 is the fact it is practically silent when playing. Other Blu-ray players can often be noisy when reading discs and can emit a loud high pitched hum when playing, this little player is so quiet it is a joy to not hear it. It's also pretty quick to boot up, although there is a setting to change this if you want to save power.

If you want a well made, basic functioning Blu-ray player you can't go wrong with this one. The price is a steal too.

Many thanks for reading!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2014 5:05 PM GMT

The Art of Princess Mononoke
The Art of Princess Mononoke
by Hayao Miyazaki

5.0 out of 5 stars Another beautiful book by Studio Ghibli., 7 Nov. 2014
This is another sumptuous volume of Studio Ghibli artwork. I have other of the books published in this series (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle) and I am always delighted with not only the quality of the book binding but also the print quality which is always bright and crisp. It is becoming a common problem in art books that the images have been enlarged beyond their original dimensions, which ultimately leads to grainy or pixelated images. The full colour large images in this book do not suffer this fate though and are extremely well printed.

The book consists of many stills from the movie and lots of concept art too. Practically every page has colour artwork on it detailing everything from the environments to the characters. Often a shot from the film is paired up with the concept art so you can see where the illustrators were coming from and how the final artwork was different, if at all.

In the back of the book are lots of the storyboards which shows how the dynamics of the action was mapped out. Very interesting if you are into film making processes, but personally I'm all about the artwork rather than the storyboards.

The book is slightly bigger than A4 size, which mean the art is a good size - not too small, and it is bound in a glossy printed hardback, it does not come with a dustcover, but none of my other Ghibli books did either.

If you are a fan of the movie, of Studio Ghibli or animation/illustration then this really is a musty for your collection. It is a masterclass in lighting, colour and form; not only in animation context but illustration aswell. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and that you use it as a reference book as much as art-eye-candy.

Moomin: Deluxe Anniversary Edition
Moomin: Deluxe Anniversary Edition
by Tove Jansson

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous Moomins in Comic Strip Capers., 7 Nov. 2014
This collected volume really is delightful. It comprises the complete Moomin comic strips as drawn by their creator Tove Jansson, and best of all they have all their errors corrected. This I have to admit was something I was worried about as I know the individually published editions had a number of pages which contained errors, a problem which the publishers corrected by offering replacement pages to be sent to buyers. Thankfully Moomin is in all his perfected glory in these humorous tales of Moomin Mama and Papa, Moomin, The Snork Maiden, Snufkin and Sniff and the rest of the inhabitants of Moominvalley and beyond.

The book is predominantly black and white (which is because the original strips were produced for newspapers) and thankfully nobody thought it would be a good idea to colourise them. This would have been a major disaster. All five original collections are included and they emanate a delightful mix of humour and gentle satire, played out beautifully in the delightful style of Jansson. Even in these fairly simple illustrations, the clean lines of her penmanship are a joy. No mark is made that shouldn't be there and she captures light and texture so well in what can be a difficult medium to work with.

The same can also be said of her writing too, the simple and yet pointed tales are also very poignant. Tove Jansson dearly loved the Moomins, and this comes across in her early scripts. But is interesting to know that she finally became enslaved to them. Although she was an accomplished illustrator and novelist, the public just wanted more Moomin tales until she finally wrote the last of her stories set in their Valley, a story in which they never made an appearance, and as she tired of her creation her brother Lars took up the comic strip, and his work can be see in other volumes.

The Deluxe Edition itself is pretty hefty hardback (although I do think the paperstock could have been a bit thicker, especially as it is a deluxe edition) and it is bound in a primary red paper. On the front Moomin is embossed in a simple design and the look of the volume is quite elegant and understated. Inside the endpapers are the same bright images as the slipcase and a poster of the slipcase art is also included.

There is a brief introduction where there are more enlarged colour works of Moomin and then the comic strips begin. In the back are a number of glossy pages with original character sketches on them. I have to confess that the bright slipcover and introduction do not feel like genuine Tove drawings but more like a pop artist interpreted them. The book would have been perfect if it had used some of her beautiful Moomin paintings, but I can see why they went for the more graphical images rather than watercolour ones. The book is after all about her comic strips, not her paintings. But I do believe that adding some of her other concept art would have really made it the deluxe volume it calls itself. One thing I was very grateful for was the strong well constructed slipcase. Wrapped in printed designs it is beautiful and looks great on a shelf. The stock photo shown by Amazon is not entirely accurate, the case side is narrower than shown and cropped more so that Moomin seems bigger. The spine is also not completely black but has a flower on the bottom of it, the lettering also does not read down the spine, but like a normal book.

All in all I was delighted to receive this book and even at it's full price it is cheaper than the individual volumes and you don't have to worry about sending off of sticky pages to amend your books.

If you are a Moomins fan then it really is a must, lose yourself in the delightful tales of Moominvalley, laugh good-naturedly at their exploits, but beware of the trolls!

Many thanks for reading!

Tuscany Silver Sterling Silver 150 Oval Belcher Charm Bracelet of 20cm/8"
Tuscany Silver Sterling Silver 150 Oval Belcher Charm Bracelet of 20cm/8"

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, lacking in quality and arrived damaged., 2 Nov. 2014
The bracelet looked wonderful when it arrived and that's where the delight stopped.

Firstly the clasp had been caught in the box hinge so was unable to be fastened, which was very disappointing, but what was worse was the lack of quality on close inspection. It appeared lovely on the surface, thick chunky links and a nice clasp, but when I picked it up I was shocked by how light it was. Had the bracelet not been faulty I would have returned it anyway. The bracelet weighed only 6 grams, I have earrings that weigh more than that and are by no means heavy. The lack of weight makes me think that the links are actually not solid but made of fine tubes. A similar bracelet I have had for about 9 years weighs 16 grams and the links are exactly the same size.

For an item of jewellery with a RRP of £45 it is grossly over priced and even with Amazon's generous discount I still don't think it is worth the money. I even checked for a hallmark as I seriously wondered if it was a silver plated piece. It does have one and an IBB makers mark aswell.

Judging by the previous reviewers remarks I do wonder if the quality has diminished since they bought theirs, especially as one reviewer remarked it was quite weighty.

If it had been a more solid (and undamaged) piece I would have been over the moon, it was ideal to add traditional charms to (not the clip ones though as the link would have been too thick) and the clasp was more discrete than my old bracelet. Unfortunately it misses the mark for me and I'm glad I got a refund.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5