Profile for Dearsprite > Reviews

Dearsprite

Verdi: Requiem
Verdi: Requiem

5.0 out of 5 stars All it should be!, 2 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Verdi: Requiem (Audio CD)
A great and sensitive performance ... wonderful soloists and "perfect" conducting ... is being much enjoyed

tesa 7006 Sensitive Surfaces Low Tack Masking Tape, 7 Days Residue Free Removal, 30 mm x 50 m

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Sept. 2014
I have been unable to get the Tesa tape I usually use to anchor my watercolour paper to my board so decided to try this one.

Whilst it is OK it does not stay fixed for long enough and quickly starts to lift. I know I am a "very wet" water-colourist so the problem may lie with me ... it would be fine to use for this if one is "quick and dry" but if you do a lot of wet-on-wet then it is far from ideal.

The Romantic Violin Concerto, Vol. 6  Hubay 1 & 2
The Romantic Violin Concerto, Vol. 6 Hubay 1 & 2

5.0 out of 5 stars I think it will turn into a bit of a favourite., 9 Sept. 2014
I happened on Hubay after listening to a piece on the radio - this disc, therefore, has been a delightful "discovery", especially the 1st Violin Concerto and the Variations.

I think it will turn into a bit of a favourite.

Sibelius: Symphony No. 3; Hindemith: The Four Temperaments
Sibelius: Symphony No. 3; Hindemith: The Four Temperaments

5.0 out of 5 stars ) but I was surprised at how much I have enjoyed listening to it, 9 Sept. 2014
I bought this for the Sibelius and it met all expectations.
I was not familiar with the Hindemith - a composer I had rather avoided since listening to a "weird" piece in my schooldays (some 60-odd years ago!) but I was surprised at how much I have enjoyed listening to it. It does need "listening" to but does need concentration.

Ollie Mustonen - again I was unfamilar with this young man but his sensitivity is lovely.

Brahms: Symphony No. 1
Brahms: Symphony No. 1
Offered by Media-Seller

5.0 out of 5 stars An amzing piece of music, 9 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Brahms: Symphony No. 1 (Audio CD)
Just sit back and listen ... listen ... don't talk and analyse ... just listen .... it blows you away!

The Verdi Album
The Verdi Album
Offered by FastMedia "Ships From USA"

5.0 out of 5 stars Lesser known Verdi comes to life, 13 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Verdi Album (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed listening to the amazing voice of Jonas Kaufmann and his various interpretations of Verdi's works, some of which were new to me.
It has made me want to look at more of the full works that were formerly unfamiliar.

Borodin: Symphony and Overtures
Borodin: Symphony and Overtures

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy with this!, 13 Oct. 2013
This is an excellent all-round recording of Borodin's (or who-ever's, considering much of it was finished by colleagues from The Mighty Handful!) work. I wanted the 1st and 2nd Symphonies and In The Steppes of Central Asia so all the rest is a bonus at a very good price.

Delivery, too, from a source outside Amazon was excellent

Puccini: Manon Lescaut
Puccini: Manon Lescaut

4.0 out of 5 stars Discovery time!, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Puccini: Manon Lescaut (Audio CD)
I do not know this opera but am going to see it fairly soon and decicded it would be a good idea to familiarise myself with it by several listenings before I go and this was an inexpensive version from great singers to use as a starting point..

I enjoyed it hugely BUT was disappointed that the Libretto is on a CD and not in paper form ... I do not want to sit in front of a computer screen to listen, I want to listen in comfort and relax with the words to hand for when I need them. That said, it is not too difficult to follow and the voices and music are, for me, who does not profess to know anything about opera but know what I like, fine.