Profile for stop-changing-my-screen-name! > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Google HD 1080P Internet TV Box Android 2.3 WIFI HDMI Flash
Google HD 1080P Internet TV Box Android 2.3 WIFI HDMI Flash

1.0 out of 5 stars Beyond awful, 28 Sept. 2012
Very poor Wifi connection and the unit will not recognise a wired ethernet connection. This renders almost all of the 'apps' useless as i cannot get a sufficient enough broadband connection.

The remote is beyond bad. If you have to buy this you will need a mouse to go with it from day 1.

On screen menu is awful. Barely a step up from a ZX spectrum.

Returned the following day.

Snow White and the Huntsman (Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UV Copy) [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Kristen Stewart

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film - But...., 8 Sept. 2012
....In no way suitable for younger children. My 10 year old son thought it was great but my younger daughter would have been terrified.

Jeff Who Lives at Home [Blu-ray] [2011] [US Import]
Jeff Who Lives at Home [Blu-ray] [2011] [US Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 28 Jun. 2012
I caught this on a long haul last week. I wouldn't normally have chosen to watch it, going from the title of the film i assumed it was going to be a juvenile comedy about some nerdy bloke who can't speak to women. It's not, in fact it's probably the best film i've seen this year. A wonderful heart warming movie that sees Jeff and his brother thrown together to try and expose his brothers wife who is having an affair..... But its much more than this. Its a fantastic film that i think many will overlook, as i nearly did.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2012 8:01 PM BST

God Bless America (2011) [DVD]
God Bless America (2011) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joel Murray

4.0 out of 5 stars God bless America, 27 Jun. 2012
This film is a rather odd mix of falling down and Juno. It starts with the lead character, Frank, being diagnosed with terminal cancer. His life is in free fall and he sets out to right the wrongs of American society , accompanied by a chance meeting with a young girl (Juno) The irony of Franks purpose seems completely lost on him. He wants people to treat others with respect and dignity. Yet he never questions his own solution of killing those that do not meet his standards. The soundtrack is fantastic and i found myself getting my phone out a few times to identify songs. It's a thoroughly enjoyable film and Frank is a worthy anti hero. I think though i just wanted Frank to be a little more aware of his own irony..

Police Cyber Men's Digital Watch with Black Dial Digital Display and White Silicone Strap 12898JS/02H

2.0 out of 5 stars Too big, 27 Jun. 2012
I wanted a new watch and prefer digital watches. Unfortunately the majority of these are cheap disposable watches - this was one of the few that i found that wasn't. I couldn't find one in the town i live in so had to buy purely based on the picture. I was expecting something the size of a G shock. It's not, its probably half the size again. If you want something more bling than slim this certainly is. I'm a 6ft male and it looked ridiculously big on me. I returned it the same day. Watches 2u were good. Refunded without any question but i had to pay for return postage.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2013 2:23 PM BST

Humax HDR-FOX T2 500GB Freeview + HD Digital TV Recorder
Humax HDR-FOX T2 500GB Freeview + HD Digital TV Recorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving from Sky ?, 14 Feb. 2012
I wanted to create a quick review for people who may be with Sky and are thinking of moving to free view. I have been with Sky for years and have the HD service but in part of a money saving venture decided to replace with one of these. I am so glad that i did, i get about 40 free view TV channels and the main 4 in HD. Check what you can get on line with free view coverage websites. So to cover some basics. Yes you can pause live TV, yes you can rewind, yes you watch one and record another and even record two programmes at once and yes there is series link. Exactly the same as Sky. There is a nice additional pop up of offering to change to a HD channel when you are watching the same programme in SD. The on screen menu is as easy to navigate through as Sky and the remote is easy to use. The HD pictures are really good, certainly on a par with Sky and SD is of similar appearance to SD on Sky.
A really nice addition is that it has a USB (both at the front and the rear) which will play movies or downloaded content. I can't give you a definitive list of the file formats it will play but AVI is supported. Very useful.
So downsides. Well for us (grown ups) we put everything on series link and watch when we want. The kids just come down and expect to be able to pick from 20 kids TV channels. We have had to organise their series links for them so that they have something to watch when they want.
Overall i am really happy with my purchase, i would say that i would have done it years ago but the machines i have seen have not been up to this standard before.

EDIT. The unit will play AVI, MP4 and MPG, AC3 and AAC are also supported. It will not play MKV unfortunately though.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2012 12:10 PM BST

Battlefield 3 (PS3)
Battlefield 3 (PS3)
Offered by Bridge_Records

4.0 out of 5 stars What MW3 should have hoped to become....., 17 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Battlefield 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
I purchased MW3 on the week of release and despite being very tempted by BF3 the beta didn't tempt me sufficiently to purchase. If you are happily playing MW3 (and lets face it millions are) then please carry on - and enjoy. If on the other hand you are reading this then chances are, like me, you are becoming bored of MW offering little new at each instalment.
I didn't really want to review MW here but am finding it almost impossible to write a review without comparison.
The main reasons I have given up on MW are that the maps have become rat runs and there is almost no teamwork or any benefit to teamwork. This is where Battlefield takes over, the maps are enormous and it encourages your team to act exactly as a team. The addition of vehicles and a destructible environment significantly add to the enjoyment.
I have only ranked up a couple of times so far but there is a huge amount of potential for this game and I am enjoying it far more that MW3.
This is not the perfect game however. The buttons cannot be set up as per COD, the weapons set up is cumbersome and far from user friendly. The weapons aiming is taking some getting used to and there is a significant amount of recoil (then perhaps that's down to my lack of experience) Graphically it's not fantastic and on the PS at least MW looks better.
I would love to see the best of BF and the best of MW merged into one game but that is just not going to happen. I will update in another month but for the time being I'm going to conclude that for its faults this beats MW 3 by a mile.

EDIT 2 weeks on. I have not played MW once since i started BF. Nor have i been tempted to. It has taken me some getting used to. This game is very different to MW and i have had to learn all about FPS all over again. Apply MW tactics here and you will not do well. I have found both the jets and helicopters very challenging to fly and getting time piloting both is rare, so my skills are improving very, very slowly.
To conclude though MW the king of shooters is dead. Battlefield has taken the crown - and rightly so. It is better than MW in almost every single way and i am looking forward to spending many hours here.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
Offered by Excess Gaming

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete and utter failure, 5 Dec. 2011
So i waited eagerly for MW3 to arrive and despite many poor reviews i still purchased on the week of release. Starting to play i felt somewhat relieved. It wasn't bad at all. I went through the ranks fairly quickly. At the end of day 1 i would given this 5 stars and told everyone to stop moaning and enjoy another decent instalment of COD. By the end of day 2 i had listed it on Ebay. So what is the problem? Well in my not so humble opinion the maps on COD4 are and remain the best maps in the whole series. Most of the MW2 maps were good, and with most of the COD4 maps available as DLC on MW2 this is even better. The maps on MW3 however are the worst maps i have ever encountered. Rat run after rat run after rat run. All the maps are the same and all matches just became a frenzied free for all. A year to produce this ? Seriously what have they been doing ? Just don't buy it - I haven't played BF3 yet so i can't say how good that is (or be accused of hijacking this review as a BF fanboy) but its where i am heading next.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2012 11:22 PM GMT

Tomb Raider II (PS)
Tomb Raider II (PS)

2.0 out of 5 stars Time has not been kind, 17 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Tomb Raider II (PS) (Video Game)
Let me start by saying that this game is a benchmark game. In it's day it was fantastic, five stars without question, it pushed the graphics of the PS 1 console to it's limit and i spent hours figuring out the puzzles and exploring the different contintents.
This week TR2 appeared on PSN for download and feeling nostalgic i eagerly downloaded it.
I had really forgotten how difficult to control Lara was - and the graphics look so dated - Before the end of the first level i quit and will not be returning. Yes gaming has come a long way and this highlights how much. I don't want to remember such a great game though in the way it plays in 2011. I will remember the 97 version fondly.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2011 5:30 PM BST

Gelert Horizon Eight Man Tent - Riviera/Slate/Charcoal
Gelert Horizon Eight Man Tent - Riviera/Slate/Charcoal

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best budget tent, 19 July 2011
I have recently purchased one of these tents and have put a great deal of research into which tent would suit us best. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids 8 and 4 - I initially looked at the larger poly cotton tents for £1200 and the Wolf Lake 7 appeared to be the best tent on the market and i almost bought it - however i am glad i did my research as this tent - even when bagged up is massive - a big draw back for us - it also takes 2 people 2 hours to put up - another big draw back - so back to the drawing board and it came down to 2 tents, this one and the Tigris 800. I went for the Gelert and i am really pleased with the purchase. Firstly though i would recommend measuring this out in your garden - seeing it in the spacious tent display areas is not the same - i couldn't believe how big it was when i put it up in my garden. First time around it took me and my wife an hour to put up. Only stopping briefly for a domestic when we couldn't get the pins into the poles (if you get stuck as i did undo all the clips that attach the tent to the pole then put the pin in then reclip) I think it would only take me 30 mins to get it up after a few goes and you don't really need 2 people to do it (although some help would be appreciated) I didn't buy from Amazon as its such a bulky item i did not want the hassle - should there be any problems - of returning it in the post so i got it from a local shop for pretty much the same price here. We have only had one weekend away in it in fair weather and it served us well. There are add ons you can buy such as a large porch area and carpet but the only essential that we have gone for (so far) is the ground sheet. I would certainly recommend this tent - easy enough for a short weekend but big enough for a proper holiday too. Oh and your kids will have a blast !!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6