Profile for Mrs. C. L. Brenchley > Reviews

Content by Mrs. C. L. Bre...

Mrs. C. L. Brenchley (Hampshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Forgetting Time
The Forgetting Time
by Sharon Guskin

5.0 out of 5 stars and this book is a beautifully written story of one such child, 20 Mar. 2016
This review is from: The Forgetting Time (Hardcover)
I have long been fascinated by the tales of children who can remember past lives in detail, and this book is a beautifully written story of one such child, Noah, who can remember a former life, and his struggling single mother, desperately trying to handle a highly intelligent child with his nightmares and seeming memories of a former life and death.
I wanted to read this book the moment I read the synopsis on Mumsnet, and I was fortunate enough to win an advance copy. I read it in a few sittings and was certainly not disappointed. A well researched and yet easily readable novel, full of fascinating questions and what-ifs?

A Siege of Bitterns: Birder Murder Mystery 1 (A Birder Murder Mystery)
A Siege of Bitterns: Birder Murder Mystery 1 (A Birder Murder Mystery)
by Steve Burrows

4.0 out of 5 stars The description of the Norfolk countryside was beautifully described, and the book is clearly written by ..., 20 Mar. 2016
Once I got used the slightly strange names (DI Domenic Jejeune, and Sgt Danny Maik) and the even more unfamiliar world of birding, I found this to be a solidly constructed, well written murder mystery novel. The description of the Norfolk countryside was beautifully described, and the book is clearly written by an expert on birdwatching and the collecting of sightings of rare birds.
The next novel by this talented author “A Pitying of Doves” is due for publication in June 2016 and I am sure it will have a wide appeal to readers.

Big Little Lies
Big Little Lies

4.0 out of 5 stars SECRETS AND LIES IN THE SCHOOLYARD, 5 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Big Little Lies (Kindle Edition)
Well defined characters in middle class Australia. This tale of secrets and whispers kept by the children and the adults is easy to get sucked into. It reminded me of my struggles when my children first attended school, the difficult job of blending in with the other parents and getting to know them, the politics of school life and first friendships. Overall there is a sense of foreboding, and a very surprising end, I didn't see it coming at all.

A gently gripping, memorable novel.

Chef (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Chef (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

5.0 out of 5 stars MAKES YOU WANT TO DANCE!, 30 Jun. 2014
I bought this having seen the film Chef and dancing in my cinema seat throughout. If you like Latin music you will enjoy this.

Andrew James 12 Litre Black 1400W Digital Halogen Oven Cooker With Hinged Lid - Full Accessories Pack, Spare Bulb, Extender Ring + 2 Year Warranty
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars MY THIRD (AND MOST ADVANCED) HALOGEN OVEN, 30 Jun. 2014
The truth is that I have worn out two halogen ovens over the past few years. I use them on a daily basis and sooner or later something "goes" that's not worth fixing. This is my third and the most technically advanced of my halogens, with a digital timer and hinged lid. Food, particularly meat, is cooked quicker and retains its moisture, and although it does take up a fair amount of space in my kitchen, I rarely use my traditional oven any more.

To Die With Dignity
To Die With Dignity

5.0 out of 5 stars FASCINATING READ, 30 Jun. 2014
This is a beautifully written account of the tragic events surrounding Linda Boyle a young woman abandoned to a living death by the medical profession after an unnecessary surgical procedure goes wrong and leaves her in a coma. This is bad enough, but what follows is another battle for her loving family.

I found it a fascinating read, with plenty of thought provoking passages, and overall a message that the love of a family can overcome almost anything.

Robert B. Parker's Wonderland (The Spenser Series Book 41)
Robert B. Parker's Wonderland (The Spenser Series Book 41)

4.0 out of 5 stars A modern take on the old gumshoe detective novels, 19 Mar. 2014
I had not read Robert B Parker's or Ace Atkins work prior to this one. This is a story of a Las Vegas private eye, Spenser, whose personal life intrudes into his professional life when an old friend and boxing trainer reports that he and his neighbours are being threatened to sell up their waterside condos. Spenser and his sidekick apprentice, Z, intervene and so starts the adventure. The writing is witty and clever, and reminded me of a modern day gumshoe story. Definitely worth a look, and maybe check out his earlier stuff too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2014 3:08 PM BST

Smallbrook
Smallbrook

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric historical romance, 9 July 2013
This review is from: Smallbrook (Kindle Edition)
I had the fortune to read an advance copy of this novel and found it very moving and intense. The description of village life from the early 1900s seemed very authentic (although I'm not quite that old), and it was easy to get quickly involved with all the characters, especially the star-crossed lovers.

If you like beautiful descriptions of the English countryside and a strong moving love story, you'll love this book.

A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
by Lucy Robinson

4.0 out of 5 stars FUN AND ENGAGING READ, 1 Feb. 2013
Lucy Robinson's latest romantic novel kept me enthralled from the first page. I had finished it in about 3 evenings, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The story is based around Charley, a workaholic woman in her late twenties whose seemingly perfect life including friends, boyfriend, high powered job, and loving family suddenly all starts to fall apart when she badly breaks her leg and has to start relying on other people for a change. While stuck at home she and her flatmate, the gorgeous but scruffy Sam, get involved in creating an internet dating site for people who don't have time to communicate with others, or are just rubbish at it.

Complications include a long-term near-affair with her older boss, a messy but loveable flatmate, family illness, and a changing perspective on her place in the world as the one always in control. Charley has to face the fact that nothing is as it seems, everything can change, and it probably will.

The somewhat ripe language made me reconsider passing the book onto my mother, but other than that slight criticism, you will enjoy this book if you like romantic novels where there are lots of surprises. Certainly not a run-of-the-mill predictable romance, and all the better for it.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT GIFT IDEA FOR SPECIAL BIRTHDAY, 1 Oct. 2012
Bought this for my brother's 50th and he loved it. I was very pleased with the delivery, price and quality of the t-shirt.

Page: 1 | 2