Profile for Dude88 > Reviews

Homeland - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Damian Lewis
Offered by Special Interests

5.0 out of 5 stars A reply to all 1 star reviews, 29 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Homeland - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
First of all, the majority of one star reviews are down to the fact that some buyers seem to have been delivered defective discs... this is not what the review forum is designed for!! Ignore these reviews... they are utterly useless and skew the overall rating of this excellent show. Want to review? Then review the SHOW!! Duh!

And then you have people complaining about sex scenes, nudity and bad language - this isn't Pride and Prejudice and it shouldn't be expected to be so; this is a portrayal of modern day real life, where relationships and feelings are strained and are exposed in some very unusual circumstances - people get naked, have sex and cuss (hence the 15 certification). That is life. You can't shy away from that for fear of offending the overly prudish members of society and thank god they haven't.

And as for Islam, it is not represented as a dangerous entity as suggested by some... no more so than by the 6 o'clock news! The show represents a small faction of Islamist extremist Muslims. That is a real threat for Western countries in the present day (9/11 or 7/7 ring a bell?).

I highly rate this program; not because it degrades large or even small swathes of society, but because the actors bring a credible sense of realism to the show through expert acting, a show which is masterfully written in what is ultimately a game of cat and mouse, one where the audience is kept guessing throughout and where I frequently found myself on the edge of my seat, unable to make up my mind until the very end. I cannot recommend this series enough. The show utterly deserves the numerous awards it was received because this is one of the best shows of the year.

Give it a go... you won't regret it!

Prometheus (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
Prometheus (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Noomi Rapace

5.0 out of 5 stars Prometheus - Sci-fi / Horror EPIC, 16 Jun. 2012
This review contains ***SPOILERS***

Please note: THIS IS NOT A PREQUEL TO THE ALIEN MOVIE. It is set in the same universe, but on a different, previously un-visited planet (moon, actually), about different characters and set in a different time. It is an origins movie which addresses the race of the infamous 'Space *Jockey*', the human race and, finally and very briefly, the legendry xenomorph species.

It is really important that you see this film with no pre-conceptions. If you go in to this movie with pre-conceptions of an Alien-esque horror movie you will be disappointed. Pay no attention to what others have said of this film and make up your own mind. I did and I had to see it twice in one week because I loved it! Even more so the second time around. But here's what I thought...

The film is beautifully shot. Sure, the story is a little slow to start, but that's because we need to be brought up to speed with the background of the plot. And of course, the characters. Michael Fassbenders portrayal of the android, David is one of the best pieces of acting I have seen in recent film and the rest of the crew of the fated Prometheus certainly stepped up to the mark in my opinion.

The mythos of the Engineers was particularly clever and linked in with many out-there theories of how the human race began. The portrayal of which was skilfully intertwined with science and was even believable, sucessfully discounting 300 years of Darwinism.

In short, this is a visually stunning, very intelligent movie, much unlike most Sci-Fi / horror movies of today. And as the movie reaches its climax there are plenty of suspenseful, nail biting moments, however this was not the films objective, just a great part of a modern epic.

And hopefully the story doesn't stop there. I for one can not wait for the inevitable sequel!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2012 8:54 AM BST

A Nightmare on Elm Street [DVD] [2010]
A Nightmare on Elm Street [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Jackie Earle Haley
Offered by wantitcheaper

3.0 out of 5 stars Modern horror falls short of the mark, 15 Jun. 2012
First off, this is not a re-make but a half-assed re-imagining.

The film starts with the assumption that the viewer knows the premise of Nightmare on Elm Street, which I can imagine will leave a lot of viewers confused and a little bewildered to start.

And though the effects in this film were pretty good throughout the movie, the story was lacking and every character was a walking, talking stereotype. And don't get me wrong, I was never expecting much in this Hollywood cash cow but still, as a fan of the original I was expecting more than what I got. There was not a lot of thought put into this movie, which is a big shame because it does have such premise. But what I got was a teen-pleasing slasher movie with a few cheap thrills.

All in all the film was OK. Just don't expect it to challenge any clichés or pre-conceptions. Certainly invest in it if you are a fan of the series or want to spend 90 mins chilling with your partner/friends on the sofa.

Nightmare on Elm Street (Blu-ray + DVD Combi) [Region Free]
Nightmare on Elm Street (Blu-ray + DVD Combi) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Jackie Earle Haley
Offered by Magic Movies Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Another modern horror which fell short of the mark, 15 Jun. 2012
First off, this is not a re-make but a half-assed re-imagining.

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games
by Suzanne Collins

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot better than the film!, 15 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
After watching the film I thought I'd give this book a try - and I am glad I did!

I found the writing style a bit of a challenge at first having never read anything like it before, however once I got over this and started to get into the story I have to be honest, I really enjoyed it.

Throughout I able to emphasise with the main character, Katniss, and really understood her high's and low's throughout her trials and tribulations. And despite seeing the film, I was still kept guessing as the story is quite different in places which worked to the advantage of the novel.

However, I am giving my review 4 stars because, despite really enjoying what I read I did feel that some key parts of the story could have been written with more emphasis and emotion, pulling the reader further in and playing on their heart strings more. In short, I was left wanting more.

All in all though this was a really enjoyable read!

Game of Thrones - Season 2 [DVD] [2013]
Game of Thrones - Season 2 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Lena Headey

4.0 out of 5 stars A step down on series one but still great!, 4 Jun. 2012
What I loved about the first series (and any TV series really) was that each episode had a worth-while beginning, middle and end structure with a steady pace and, very importantly, cliff hanger/high-point endings - after all, that's why audiences came back to the series the following week! Unfortunately, this series lacked that quite a bit, especially at the start.

The initial six episodes were slow, didn't seem to follow much of a structure and were quite boring at times as they flicked between characters but didn't really add anything to the immediate plot development. Also, I am a huge fan of the book and found it a big disappointment to find names were changed, key characters removed and plot developments (big and small) either altered, dropped from the series all together or created especially for the series for no real reason (maybe it links in with the third series?).

With that being said, the series did keep a lot of the essential plot developments from the book and did find its pace again after the initial six episodes. It was just a shame it took so long.

However, credit where credit is due, the actors of this series have done another amazing job of portraying their characters on screen. The effects and scale of this series were, at times, breath-taking. The final two episodes were certainly the best of the series with a few edge-of-your seat, nail biting moments - brilliant Hollywood television! And we finally got the cliff hanger endings that are so important for a series of this calibre; and have the perfect set-up for the third series.

In short; I was a little disappointed with this series to start - a lot more could have been done by the screen writers and directors to keep viewers engaged, gripped or hooked and generally make the first few episodes more interesting and true to the book. However, I'd reccomend you stick with it; it was still a massive achievement, which any fan of the first series should watch. Just don't expect it to be as true to the book as the first series. Which is a shame as 'A Clash of Kings' is an AMAZING novel.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2015 9:09 PM BST

A Game of Thrones: The Story Continues Books 1-5: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Song of Ice and Fire, 21 April 2012
Like most I know, I discovered this series when the HBO television adaption aired on Sky in 2011 and was instantly gripped. Since then I have read all of the books back-to-back and wow... they are AMAZING!

I am NOT a typical fantasy fan... in fact the idea of goblins and wizards going off on some good vs evil quest of grand proportions does NOTHING for me. But this is no typical fantasy novel. The story spans several view-points from across the fictional lands of Westeros and beyond. It is a story where no characters are safe from harm (or death) at any time. Each of the character-arcs are expertly woven and plot developments continually keep you in the dark whilst simultaneously steadily moving toward what can be some really devastating conclusions.

What I love about these books is that every character serves their own purpose, has their own private agendas and are all capable of good and bad to one extent or another... they do what they must to survive, and through their actions I found myself able to relate to and bond with these fictional people, who I have loved, loathed, pitied and despised. These novels are extremely character-centric which means the reader really does become emotionally involved with its characters, and believe me I did!

As with a lot of other fantasy series' ASOIAF is set during a medival time-frame, a time defined by murder, chivalry, classes and war... a lot of war. However unlike other fantasy series' magic and mythical monsters do not play a major role, but instead is allowed to steadily build and spread from the beginning, with beings such as the mystical Others, skin changers, wights, dragons and more. This gives the series more of a realistic grounding, and is perfectly researched by Martin.

The bottom line is that I found this series truly addictive. It was difficult to put down at times and I really cannot recommend it enough. Give it a go... you will not regret it!
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2015 7:35 PM BST