Profile for orlis_apple_tart > Reviews

II
II
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Two words: BUY IT!, 17 Jun. 2004
This review is from: II (Audio CD)
I've been a huge fan of The Calling ever since I bought their album on whim after hearing Wherever You Will Go. I wasn't disappointed by Camino Palmero;it's one of my favourite CD's and I certaintly am not disappointed by II.
The Calling's sound and song-writing have both developed and as a result II is a much more mature album. I was surprised by the subjects that the songs cover; The Calling's songs are about suicide, hope, self-belief which I find refreshing considering that in the UK we are used to cheesy pop songs with stupid meaningless lyrics.
One By One = Could be about a variety of things although I perceived it as being about suicide. Has a great intro and is fantastic rocky start to the album. One of my favourites.
Our Lives = The first single has a very optimistic outlook about living life to the full. Is good to listen to when you need cheering up as it's very positive.
Things Will Go My Way = Possibly my favourite song on the album although it's hard to decide! This song is my equivalent to Stigmatized and Could It Be Any Harder as I can listen to it countless times! Beautiful lyrics and beautiful arrangement as well as fantastic vocals. Love it!
Chasing The Sun = Very catchy, summery song which will get your feet tapping. Probably the only proper 'love song' on the record but still very good.
Believing = Although this isn't as catchy as some of the other songs, Believing is another one of my favourites. The lyrics are so inspiring and Alex's vocals are really touching - made me knees go weak the first time I heard it!
Anything = Another great song. Very catchy with great lyrics and a fantastic rocky 'vibe' to it. The acoustic version is absolutely beautiful too.
If Only = The first time I heard this, I was a bit dubious from the opening seconds but now I love it. A bit of a darker sound maybe but once the chorus kicks in you'll be hooked.
Somebody Out There = Not one of my favourites but still a great song nonetheless. I find the lyrics very intriguing - about faith and God, which makes me appreciate the song even more.
Surrender = Ok, the first time I heard this I actually blushed! Fantastic song, another one of my favourites! Sorry to keep babbling on about the lyrics but they really are fantastic here and the song is mega-catchy.
Dreaming In Red = A very pop/rock song, more poppy than I am used to from TC but is still very catchy although I have no idea what it's about!
Your Hope = Incredible, inspiring, thought-provoking, emotional ... just a few words to describe this song. I think many people will be able to relate to it and it's just beautiful.
For You = Taken from the Daredevil OST, it's not one of their best songs but the acoustic version is great and a nice addition to the album.
London Calling = Was originally done by Clash, a good song, good vocals.
All in all, this album is one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. Although very different from Camino Palmero, it is a fantastic follow up and shows how Alex and Aaron have matured. It may take a few listens for the tracks to grow on you and to properly appreciate how magnificent they are, but once you do you will be blown away. I highly recommend II to everyone who loved Camino Palmero and to everyone who loves good music.