Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now
Profile for MRS D RYAN > Reviews

Content by MRS D RYAN

MRS D RYAN

How to Own the World: A Plain English Guide to Thinking Globally and Investing Wisely
by Andrew Craig

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing book..., 28 April 2016
A couple of years ago, I purchased on recommendation the amazing book "The Richest Man in Babylon" by George Samuel Clason written in 1926 which offers an outstanding fundamental and effective education in finance for everyone. This got me interested in really handling my finance and knowing more about it. But where to start! Andrew Craig's book is the natural follow on to Clason's book expanding the subject and explaining what is happening currently and how to literally own the world and build up wealth regardless of a low or high income.

Moreover, Andrew Craig refers to many other books and individuals and recommends continuing education in the subject of finance by providing a substantial and comprehensive bibliography for further study (although I am surprised Clason's book does not feature in it and perhaps Andrew is not aware that it exists. If that is the case, it is a must-read and should be added to the bibliography in the next edition!)

What is incredibly evident in reading this book is that the author really wants everyone to win and do well and clearly goes out of his way to demonstrate that everyone can win and build up their wealth for retirement (and earlier) by understanding the fundamentals of finance and how to invest your money. His wanting to help just oozes from the pages and I tip my hat to him.

Get this book and also "The Richest Man in Babylon" by Clason which you can get on Amazon. Then from that springboard of really useful education, start on the road to financial security and study up on . I just wish I had known all this when I was in my early 20s. We are educating my teenage children in the methods and they are getting it. We are confident that they will enjoy financial security their entire life and we are already seeing results.

Very well done Andrew!

The Richest Man in Babylon
The Richest Man in Babylon
by George S. Clason

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be made compulsory reading in high school, 14 Aug. 2013
What an excellent book. Heard about it for years but never read it until this week. I wish I had done it before. Teaches the key principles on managing one's finances and not get into debts, as well as build up one's wealth through life. I would say most of the British population could do with reading this book and applying it. I think that it should be made compulsory reading as part of the curriculum in the last years of secondary school to set up children for what is in store for them as they go out into the world and start living and dealing with money. I am buying copies for my sister and making sure my teenage kids read this as soon as possible.

Witch Week (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 3)
Witch Week (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Chrestomanci series, 27 April 2013
This is a general review for the Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne-Jones. I first read the Chrestomanci series when I was 23. I am now 37 and I am re-reading them again and it is just so blissful! The first Chrestomanci book "Charmed Life" was written in 1977 about 20 years before the first Harry Potter. In this book, newspaper photos moved, Chrestomanci had his different lives hidden in different places, people in portraits and pictures jumped from frame to frame, plenty of clever cats, not a magic wand in sight and so on. From the lowest witch or warlock to the most powerful enchanter, no wand. We're talking people with real abilities, and who do not become useless as soon as they lose their wand. Basically, many, many ideas in the Harry Potter books, you will find in her books. Although the stories are entirely different. And she writes in a light fashion, without too much overwhelming descriptions but just enough to keep the story moving at a good pace.

Why there has never been movies made of these books is a mystery to me as they are so superior to a lot of other teenage books around. Perhaps Wynne-Jones didn't want to. I highly recommend these books. I have just about finished the lot and I am restarting them again, particularly "Charmed Life" which I think is just superb. One just falls in love with the character that is Chrestomanci.

I very, very rarely read a book twice. However, with the Chrestomanci, I just seem to never tire. Even more so with her wonderful book "Howl's Moving Castle" which is not part of this series but which was made into an extraordinary full-length animated feature by the one and only Japanese master story-teller Hiyao Mayazki (Studio Ghibli). Now, I have lost count of how many times I have read this book. I just never bore of it either.

Diana Wynne-Jones is the only fiction author whose books I have read over and over. No one else. I completed "Charmed Life", and started straight at the beginning again.

I wish she had had time to write two or more Chrestomanci books before she passed away. At any rate, I believe her books will be in print for many decades to come.

Conrad's Fate (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 6)
Conrad's Fate (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Chrestomanci Series, 27 April 2013

The Magicians of Caprona (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 2)
The Magicians of Caprona (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Chrestomanci Series, 27 April 2013

The Pinhoe Egg (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 7)
The Pinhoe Egg (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 7)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Chrestomanci book but very good still, 27 April 2013
Too many aunts, uncles, cousins etc and a little confusing at first, but overall one can never get enough of the Big Man himself, Chrestomanci, so book picks up pace and ends very nicely.

The Lives of Christopher Chant (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 4)
The Lives of Christopher Chant (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Chrestomanci books are my favorites of all time, 27 April 2013