Profile for M. Connelly > Reviews

Content by M. Connelly

M. Connelly

SainSmart 7 Inch TFT Touch Screen LCD Monitor For Raspberry Pi + Driver Board HDMI VGA 2AV
Offered by SainSmart Official UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 24 July 2016
Screen is good quality, however the TTL connection on the controller board is extremely finicky.

Sivitec Soldering Iron Starter Kit, 7pcs Tweezer Set, Helping Hands, Desoldering Pump, Stand and Solder
Offered by Sivitec_Direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment., 24 July 2016
Everything included in this kit seems great and of very decent quality!..except for the most important part; the iron itself. Soldering iron began smoking immediately after plugging it in. I elected not to return this as everything else seemed decent but I wouldn't recommend anyone purchase this kit.

Samsung UE22F5400 22-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Slim Smart LED Television with Built-In Wi-Fi (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Television is great, software is adequate., 11 Jan. 2014
I purchased this to replace an aging PC monitor which I was using for my games consoles.
The TV itself is fantastic - the picture quality is superb. Some may find the speakers lacking, however as I only use the TV's speakers at night when it's advisable not to have the surround sound system on, the speakers are fine.

Obviously the main "thing" about this television is its Smart TV chops, and having used it for a few days now I'm on the fence about it.
There are a few good things; the television comes preinstalled with apps for all major broadcaster's video-on-demand services (BBC iPlayer, ITV, 4oD and Demand 5), as well as Lovefilm, Netflix and Youtube. One thing this television beats my games consoles out on is that the iPlayer app supports HD streaming - something the Xbox 360 and PS3 iPlayer apps don't seem to support. The Youtube integration is also very pleasant - if you choose to play a video on the TV and the youtube application isn't open, it will open of its own accord and begin playing your video immediately.
The Smart TV software also has decent media support - every video format I threw at it was played without issue - including MKVs - and Samsung's implementation of DLNA (they call it AllShare, but it is literally just DLNA) is perfectly fine, I was able to stream movies and TV shows from my computers effortlessly.

The software isn't without problems, however. Most notably, a number of cases cause the TV to simply reboot - most often the iPlayer application, however I've found that rearranging the apps in your "My Apps" section can sometimes cause a reboot as well. The iPlayer application also will occasionally fail to display any text, making navigation virtually impossible, and the only way to fix this seems to be rebooting the entire television. Thankfully, the television reboots quickly.
The Spotify application, not preinstalled but easily downloaded through the application store, appears to include its own on-screen keyboard, which does not support certain special characters found on computer keyboards, making it impossible for me to log into my account as my password was apparently too complicated.
The more noticeable issue with the Smart TV software is that it's simply slow. The ITV, Demand 5 and BBC iPlayer apps best show how slow the software can be.
Finally, the remote control for the television is monstrous. The remote is simply overloaded with buttons, most of which are oddly-placed. It's almost impossible to locate the Smart TV button in the dark, or the directional, Okay and Return buttons. This is alleviated somewhat by the existence of smartphone apps which allow you to control the television, however even those are poorly made.

Overall I'm still very pleased with this TV, as it handles media streaming excellently (for the most part) and the aforementioned Youtube integration is excellent. The only real let-down with this television is that it has a massive amount of potential, but is let down by poor software and an over-complicated remote. If Samsung can address the software issues, making the TV faster and more stable, I'll happily give 5/5 stars. This is definitely not a purchase I regret.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2014 3:53 PM GMT

Bose ® IE2 Audio Headphones
Bose ® IE2 Audio Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, quality sound., 19 Dec. 2013
I purchased these to replace an older pair of Bose IE2 earphones, which over the course of around four years had worn down, before eventually one of the earbuds simply stopped outputting audio.
I've now had these earphones for a few months, and I'm definitely pleased with them. They're very well-fitting, sound as excellent as ever, and the new earbud design definitely keeps them secure in my ears.

SPIGEN Google Nexus 5 Case Protective [Neo Hybrid] [Champagne Gold] Slim Dual Layer Bumper Protection Cover for Nexus 5 - Champagne Gold (SGP10564)

3.0 out of 5 stars Protective, but cheap, 19 Dec. 2013
I bought this case as it seemed to be the only halfway-decent case currently on the market for the Nexus 5. Initially I was impressed with the two-part design, however the case is hard to get on and even harder to get off. I dropped my Nexus 5 accidentally a few days later and was relieved to find the case did its job of protecting the phone - the phone itself was completely fine and the case suffered only minor cosmetic damage.
The unpleasant part of this case comes in the buttons - the buttons feel very loose and cheaply made, and are easy to accidentally dislodge.
Overall it's an alright case, however I wouldn't buy one again.

Foneboy® Nano Sim Cutter for iPhone 5 includes Adapters to Convert to Micro, Standard and Nano Sim
Offered by discountedtoyou

2.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 19 Dec. 2013
I purchased this sim cutter after buying an iPhone to save myself the trip to my network's local outlet for a nanosim. It did the job, which is all anyone can really ask of it, however I had to file away parts of the sim myself as the cut was extremely rough and the sim wouldn't fit into anything right away.
The provided adapters were helpful, however the nano-to-micro adapter wasn't - after cutting my sim down, the adapter did not enable my sim card to fit into most of my phones, save for the Nexus 5.

Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray Sim Free Smartphone
Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray Sim Free Smartphone

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, tiny phone., 19 Oct. 2011
First off, let me just say that I came from an HTC Hero, so my experience with android before the Xperia Ray hasn't been all that great. The Hero is a depressingly slow device, plagued with poor system performance, terrible read/write speeds and one of the least accurate touchscreens I've ever used.

So when I got the Ray, I was expecting it to be a bit faster than the Hero (528MHz processor to a 1GHz processor, you expect roughly double the speed), but this phone performs ridiculously well in comparison to the Hero. The Ray boots in roughly half a minute, and is ready to use almost immediately after it's booted. The stock Android release which comes for the Ray is both visually appealing and fast as hell. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Sony Ericsson had done little more than take regular Android 2.3.4, added their own apps, launcher, camera apps and themes, and modified the Gallery a little. This is perfect for me, because it feels less like I'm using some gaudy vendor-modified Android release, and more like I'm using plain and simple Android with a fancy launcher.

To continue with the comparison between the Ray and the Hero, attempting to multitask at all on the Hero resulted in a painfully slow experience. Leave the phone signed into Trillian, have it stream last.fm, or even just play music in the HTC music app, and system performance is almost halved (I ran quadrant benchmarks with and without music playing, having music playing quite literally halves the resulting score). However, when doing the same on the Ray, system performance doesn't seem to be affected at all. The Ray will happily stream music, give you directions with Google Maps Navigation, keep you signed into Trillian and post a tweet, all at once, without any visible slow-down. For me, that is absolutely amazing.

Moving on, the first thing I noticed when I first got the Ray, was the display. The display's smaller physical size, coupled with the high resolution of the display, means that the pixel density is somewhere in the range of the iPhone 4's Retina display. I've tried, and no matter how hard I scruitinise the display, I cannot see the pixels. The quality of the display on this phone is ridiculously good, in every way.

To cut a long story short, the Xperia Ray is absolutely the best phone I have ever owned, and I honestly couldn't be happier with it. If you're looking for an excellent, small android handset with hardware powerful enough that you can actually enjoy the phone, this is your best bet.

Lenovo IdeaPad S205 11.6 inch Laptop (AMD E350 1.6GHz, RAM 4GB, HDD 500GB, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium) - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Best netbook I've ever owned., 25 Sept. 2011
I bought this netbook after spending a year with a Packard Bell dot s/2 netbook, a machine which cost roughly the same as this. However, unlike the Packard Bell, I can honestly say I've never been happier with a computer. It's honestly fantastic, and a joy both to use and to type on. The machine itself is well-built and seems to be of fantastic quality in every respect. The only possible gripe I could have with the S205 is that the battery doesn't last quite as long as I'd like, and you can't buy a higher-capacity battery from Lenovo. Power aside, this is an absolutely fantastic machine.
The copy of Windows 7 Home Premium x64 which ships with the computer worried me at first, because, on first boot, I got the impression that I was going to be dealing with a considerable amount of bloatware. However, after completing first-time setup, I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was almost no bloatware. I uninstalled McAfee and some of the Lenovo utilities (Capslock app, Veriface, games centre and so on), but I kept the power utility, as it seems to work very well for managing how much power the machine uses.

All in all, this is an absolutely fantastic machine, both with great hardware that'll run most things you can throw at it, and with excellent build quality and a superb keyboard. If you're considering getting a netbook, get this one. I can honestly say you won't regret it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2012 3:27 PM BST