Profile for Book Addict > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 531

Book Addict (UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dark Minds (Class 5 Series Book 3)
Dark Minds (Class 5 Series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars “Class 5” series book 3, 20 Aug. 2016
This sci-fi fantasy romance series continues to wow me with the introduction of some fabulous leading ladies and the impact they have on the lives around them. At last the infamous Imogen Peters makes an appearance; the third human female abducted from Earth and guess what – she’s a music teacher. Can you imagine the reaction from the Grih? Little does she know awe and adoration awaits her. But before Imogen finds her HEA with Camlar Kalor; a United Council representative, she faces deadly situations against the Teclan and Krik races, plus she may be instrumental in freeing another Class 5.

Without the inbuilt horror of the Class 5s pretty much everyone else has (disregarding heroines from books 1 and 2 Rose and Fiona) Imogen has no problem befriending Paxe and Oris and ‘humanising’ them. They are definitely characters that grow on you as much as Imogen, Fiona and Rose do and I was pleased that the latter 2 (plus their significant others and other Class 5s Sazo and Eazi) make significant appearances in this book. The interactions between Imogen, Rose and Fiona are heart-warming, but the biggest weepy moments feature the Class 5s. “Dark Minds” is a great addition to this series and just as entertaining as its preceding books.

Busy B A5 2017 "Floral Design" Busy Life Diary - Lilac/Purple/Pink/Navy/Cream
Busy B A5 2017 "Floral Design" Busy Life Diary - Lilac/Purple/Pink/Navy/Cream

4.0 out of 5 stars Roll on 2017 so I can start using this diary, 19 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If; like me, you’d rather have a paper diary than use your phone or tablet for reminders and appointments, then this diary is perfect for you. It has an attractive feminine floral purple design on the front and back covers, the pages are fairly thick and the pale purple font is of a good size and easy to read.

This diary has an impressive content. It has a page for personal details, a page for useful numbers, a single page 2017 calendar, a single page 2018 calendar, a page a month for 2017 and 2 pages a week (which have a useful ‘reminder’ section on each side) for 2017. There are also useful paper slot sections every 3 months which you can store tickets, letters or appointment cards for that period.

There is a navy blue tag, but as it is affixed to the back page it isn’t really much use. The navy elastic band is useful and will come in especially handy keeping the diary closed when you start storing paperwork in it. There is also a slot inside the back cover to store notes, but it’s not particularly roomy. In addition, the covers are a thick cardboard but still very soft. I’m not sure if the covers offer robust enough protection to last the year if you have a busy (and very organised) life. Overall this diary is pretty and useful, but I feel it may well fall apart before the year is out.

Dimensions: A5 size - 13.5cmx19cm (depth 1.3cm)

3M Postit 76x76mm Jewel Pop Postit Notes - Assorted Colours (Pack of 6)
3M Postit 76x76mm Jewel Pop Postit Notes - Assorted Colours (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars These jewel pop post-it notes certainly pop, 15 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These standard sized unlined post-it notes are a useful bit of stationery in a variety of rich vibrant tones that will brighten up your day. I received pink, blue and green pads, although you may receive different colours as yellow rather than green is shown on the product page image. You receive 2 pads of each colour (6 in total) and each pad contains 90 post-it notes. As stated, each colour is very vivid so I tend to use only black ink to write on them. Blue ink is fine on the green and yellow post-it notes, but is close to illegible (unsurprisingly) on the blue ones.

These post-it notes are a standard size but due to the bright colour, they leave you with no excuse of missing any instructions left on them. The level of stickiness is touted as ‘super sticky’ but I can’t say there is any noticeable difference to any other post-it notes I’ve used on paper or computer screens. They aren’t lined, but it means you can scrunch an entire essay in teeny tiny writing on them.

First Thing I See
First Thing I See

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable hot contemporary romance despite the holes in the plot, 14 Aug. 2016
This review is from: First Thing I See (Kindle Edition)
This contemporary romance was a good read but I had some issues with the plot. As the event planner of a swanky hotel, how does Hope not know who high flyer Kennedy is? Why does her boss have no issues with the fact Hope starts up a relationship with a VIP guest? Hope also seems to manage to wrangle an awful lot of time off in a brand new job; flying to Chicago at the drop of a hat, attending charity events and out partying with her BFF. In addition, pretty much every man she meets bar Kennedy gets drunk, doesn’t take no for an answer, and gets grabby before Hope has to be rescued.

Those gripes aside, this is a very hot steamy modern romance with plenty of emotion. Hope has re-invented herself after a turbulent childhood, whilst Kennedy’s past has him obsessing over Hope’s safety. Misunderstandings result in unfounded jealousy and insecurities, yet there is no denying the sparks that instantaneously fly between the pair. This is overall an entertaining feel good modern love story despite the niggles I had with the plot.

Murad Eye Lift Firming Treatment 30 ml
Murad Eye Lift Firming Treatment 30 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars A firm favourite but takes too much time for everyday use, 13 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’ve always been left very pleased with the results from the few Murad products I’ve used in the past and this firming treatment is no exception. Application is easy. You pump 3 beads (I do this directly to my face rather than dab on with my fingers) onto the area beneath your eye. You then spread the cream but don’t rub it in, and then press the eye pads onto the area. The moisture of the cream ensures the eye pads adhere to your face (I have yet to have one fall off) and you keep them on for a maximum of 15 minutes for the cream to do its job. There was absolutely no tingling sensation either during or after application; especially pleasing as I have very sensitive skin. The pads remove easily after the allotted time and I’ve found each time that the cream has fully absorbed into my skin despite the instructions stating that there may be a residue left. There are plenty of eye pads provided, which are shaped well and easy to position beneath the eyes, but they are a tad on the large size.

So the important thing; the results. Directly after use I admit I wasn’t that impressed, yet when I caught my reflection a few hours later I did feel that my skin looked firmer and less bloated around the lower eye area and continued to look like this for about 12 hours. I am very pleased with the results this product offers, but I’m far too lazy to get up 15 minutes earlier every morning to add it to my daily beauty regime. Instead I’ve found myself using this product either on weekends or before a night out; which gives a nice bolster to your confidence. Great product, I just wish application was a few minutes.

Wild Hunt (The Shadow Sorceress Book 4)
Wild Hunt (The Shadow Sorceress Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars “The Shadow Sorceress” series book 4, 13 Aug. 2016
The fourth book in this urban fantasy series certainly packs in the action and drama. For romance fans, things finally progress between Amber and Nic; however a new enemy has an equal interest in her. Therefore Amber is given no opportunity to develop things further with Nic, and in fact as the plot unfolds he does something to protect her that makes a future between them very uncertain. Add in his brother Jason; who has a clear interest in Amber himself, which creates further unintended complications between Nic and Amber.

This is my favourite book so far in this series but I still remain undecided about leading lady Amber. She still has trouble handling crimes scenes and again is easily overwhelmed by a more powerful enemy. Yet she proves to be gutsy at times, plus she allows her magic full scope when she loses control of her emotions. Amber does admit her faults and acknowledges some harsh realities; but then she does nothing about them. As in previous books, her focus is suddenly shifted elsewhere. She’s still not dealt with her demon brand (which has a plus side) and seems to forget about Lily’s terrible situation, and most irritating, when she’s given very specific instructions (for her own good) she’s never able to follow them. The final few chapters are particularly compelling though. Not only is there plenty of action, there is some heartbreak and grief as Amber learns a little more about her own history and the reasons behind her mother’s actions. At last a bit more info for the reader, and I look forward to the publication of book 5 “Touch of Shadow”.

Panasonic Bluetooth Waterproof Sport Headphone - Black
Panasonic Bluetooth Waterproof Sport Headphone - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars A crisp, clear sound, 13 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’ve sometimes wondered if I have odd shaped ears as normal buds don’t stay in place and will randomly fall out of my ears even when I’m not moving. In addition, the wire can catch on my bag which results in the buds being forcibly pulled out of my ears, or the wire disconnecting from my phone.

My first impression of this product was wow. It’s very nicely packaged, with some great accessories (namely the clam case which offers plenty of protection and the different sized ear plugs). The charger cable is very short though (but it does fit neatly into the clam case with the headphones), plus you can only charge from your phone or computer.

Set up was easy. It was in fact more complicated positioning these headphones for the first time. I slotted them behind my ears easily enough, but then you have to angle them slightly for the buds to slot into your ear. I was worried I’d look a little daft wearing them, but they are discrete and surprisingly comfortable; and the design ensures they won’t randomly fall out of your ears.

There are 3 buttons to control sound, and whilst I initially found them a little fiddly, after only a little use I quickly came to grips with them. Most importantly, the sound is great; clear and crisp no matter the volume. As a newbie to this type of headphone, I’m left very impressed with the sound quality, how easy they are to use and how comfortable and secure they feel.

Remington MPT4000C Beauty Trimmer and LED Spotlight Tweezers
Remington MPT4000C Beauty Trimmer and LED Spotlight Tweezers

3.0 out of 5 stars I’m pleased with the results but this product could be better, 12 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’ve had 2 previous facial hair trimmers; one from a well-known make-up supplier and the other from abroad. The imported version; although very cheap, nicked my skin during use, whereas I thought the branded version was fab.

The Remington trimmer is exactly the same design and comes with the same comb attachment that allows you to thin out your brows as well as shape them. In addition, you also receive a chunky pair of tweezers which have a small light; a great product that allows for precision work to achieve a pristine brow. You pull the top off the trimmer to insert the supplied battery, and away you go. There are 2 blades; one is exceptionally small for precision work, but I found that it didn’t work particularly well, whereas the larger blade quickly removed hair.

Firstly no injuries have been sustained during use. Secondly this trimmer (using the larger blade) does a good job; cleanly removing hair without any pain. Although you are less likely to sustain any nicks or abrasions when using this trimmer, it does have the same flimsy feel to it as the imported trimmer I had; despite being significantly pricier. 3½ stars

Grim Rites (The Shadow Sorceress Book 3)
Grim Rites (The Shadow Sorceress Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars “The Shadow Sorceress” series book 3, 9 Aug. 2016
There is a lot more action in the third book in this series. Amber seems to be constantly attacked by a variety of supernatural creatures or humans, she’s unofficially working a case with Victoria, plus a number of deceased characters re-appear. Amber’s magic remains erratic and she still has her demon mark to deal with.

The plot is becoming more complex, but this author is very frugal when it comes to revealing any answers. As Victoria plays a strong part in the story, I came to grips with what happened to her (after the confusing events in book 2). Amber’s romance with Nic remains vague, as do the reasons why he’s in her life. There are some irritating characters introduced (Mia and Sonia are particularly aggravating and Amber’s ‘help’ ends up hurting them even more). Amber has proved willing to risk the world to save someone she cares about, but this doesn’t quite work as her relationships with these characters aren’t that great. As a result, I actually thought Amber would be better off letting some of them die. In addition, I’m not sure yet if I actually like Amber. She makes bad choices (for good reasons), doesn’t tackle her real issues (Lily and the demon mark) and by side-tracking from what she should be dealing with, she gets involved in even more escapades that threaten to reveal her ‘Shadow Sorcery’. At last Amber does something interesting with her magic, but it still remains unclear exactly what ‘Shadow Sorcery’ can accomplish. There’s another book available in this series and I continue to hope at least a few questions will be answered.

Blood Craft (The Shadow Sorceress Book 2)
Blood Craft (The Shadow Sorceress Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars "The Shadow Sorceress" series book 2, 7 Aug. 2016
This urban fantasy series contains some interesting ideas featuring a heroine with a dark magic considered wiped out. OK we now know that Amber is a ‘Shadow Sorceress’ but her abilities still remain very vague and only flare up sporadically. There are some macabre murders at the start of the book, but Amber seems thoroughly lost during the course of the investigation until she suddenly just figures out who the bad guy is.

Although I liked this book, much of the plot remains unresolved and felt very rushed towards the end. There was a notable lack of any explanations to the motivations of the bad guy after he was unveiled, and other questions went unanswered; what exactly is the Bone Knife, when/how is Amber going to deal with her demon brand considering it may now be affecting her behaviour, what happened to Victoria (I was a little confused), what’s going on with Nic and why does Jon loathe Amber so much? Graham doesn’t feature much at all; he’s severely injured during the first action scene and spends the rest of the book unconscious in hospital, so Amber has only a little support when Nic randomly pops up. There’s another 2 books in this series. I do plan on giving them a go in the hopes some of my questions are answered. 3½ stars

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20