Profile for Mel Sherratt > Reviews

Content by Mel Sherratt

Mel Sherratt

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Shallow Waters (Detective Hannah Robbins crime series Book 1)
Shallow Waters (Detective Hannah Robbins crime series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a new series, 28 Jan. 2015
A great start to a new series. The darkness gave such a sense of menace that kept the pages turning - would they find the girl in time? The police procedural was spot-on - true to life and authentic. I felt I was drawn in, like car crash TV - uncomfortable at times but compelled to find out the truth. I was lucky to read an early copy but it's a book I'm glad I didn't miss. I can't wait to see more of DI Hannah Robbins in the next book.

Self-Printed: The Sane Person's Guide to Self-Publishing (Second Edition)
Self-Printed: The Sane Person's Guide to Self-Publishing (Second Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars A book I refer to again and again, 26 Dec. 2012
I purchased this book months ago and have used it umpteen times for various things that I've created, explored and tried along my self-publishing journey. Catherine's tongue in cheek humour kept me smiling through a book that, without it, would have been just the same as lots of 'how to do it' books.

I particularly found useful the way the sections were set out. I go back to them again and again. I've recently published another book on Kindle, created a Facebook page and website with Catherine's easy to follow guides. I reckon the advice and the instruction in this book has saved me hours so far and will continue to do so. Mel Sherratt, Taunting the Dead and The Estate Series.

The Murder Wall (Kate Daniels Book 1)
The Murder Wall (Kate Daniels Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really exciting debut!, 3 Aug. 2012
Peter James couldn't have put it any better 'Brutal and engaging. Mari Hannah writes with a sharp eye and a dark heart.' I found The Murder Wall thrilling, exiting and fresh. The writing was crisp, the story engaging and the plots made for a real page turner. I really enjoyed getting to know the main character, DCI Kate Daniels, as well as her team and can't wait to read the next in the series, SETTLED BLOOD.

Self-Printed: The Sane Person's Guide to Self-Publishing
Self-Printed: The Sane Person's Guide to Self-Publishing

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Informative - Go back to it again and again, 11 July 2012
I purchased this book months ago and have used it umpteen times for various things that I've created, explored and tried along my self publishing journey. Catherine's tongue in cheek humour kept me smiling through a book that, without it, would have been just the same as lots of 'how to do it' books.

I particularly found useful all the different sections and as mentioned in my subject title, I go back to it again and again. I've recently published another book on Kindle, created a Facebook page and website with Catherine's easy guides to follow. I reckon the advice and the instruction in this book has saved me hours so far and will continue to do so. Mel Sherratt, Taunting the Dead and Somewhere to Hide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutally honest, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Don't Mind Me (Kindle Edition)
Don't Mind Me is a really heartbreaking story. I think it takes a brave person to relive and write down everything that happened to them rather than block it out completely. After all, what happens to us during significant times in our lives surely must have some effect on our futures. Don't Mind Me depicts someone who struggled to come to terms with life's ups and downs. It's brutally honest and touched me as I shared the journey with Judith. Through her eyes, we experience the horror of what she went through, yet she also tells of the compassion from the people around her. A truly remarkable book and one anyone suffering from, or indeed teaching about, mental health issues would do well to read.

Construct A Couple (Serenity Holland Book 2)
Construct A Couple (Serenity Holland Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic, feel-good factor read, 11 Jun. 2012
I'm going to say it again. I think this is the best Talli Roland novel I've read so far. Her writing just gets better and better. For me, this book has a special depth about it - it's much more than a romantic comedy. I love Serenity: she is such a likeable character. I particularly enjoyed the sense of place that Talli created - London comes alive as much as the story. And I enjoyed taking Serenity's journey with her - we all have secrets, don't we?

A well constructed (pun intended) enjoyable read. I see there is another book planned for Serenity and Jeremy. Looking forward to it already.

TAKEN
TAKEN

5.0 out of 5 stars Gritty, gripping and thoroughly enjoyable, 2 April 2012
This review is from: TAKEN (Kindle Edition)
As a writer and an avid reader of crime thrillers, I found Taken to be a well written story, full of rounded characters - most of whom I wouldn't want to meet on a dark street - and plot lines that kept me turning the pages quickly. I raced through it in a couple of days. It's certainly up there with the big guns for me. Thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for the next one.

The Helper (Callum Doyle 2)
The Helper (Callum Doyle 2)
by David Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful second outing, 23 Mar. 2012
After reading PARIAH, Detective Callum Doyle became one of my favourite characters from all the books I read last year. Following on from that, THE HELPER is one of those books that you dive into and feel excited about welcoming old friends back. A killer is letting Doyle know who will be murdered next - can Doyle work out the clues and if not, whose death will be on his conscience? Somehow he always seems to land himself in trouble through no fault of his own. The plot is full of clues within clues, mistakes made by killer and detective, and I enjoyed working it all out. The book is so authentic and David writes with humour but can turn on the emotion in a matter of seconds. THE HELPER is a fast paced book, twisting and turning at every chapter, with a very clever ending. Bring on number three.

by Judith Haire

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutally honest, 12 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Don't Mind Me (Paperback)

The Fall
The Fall
by Claire McGowan

5.0 out of 5 stars Gritty and real, 11 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Fall (Paperback)
The first line of the blurb for THE FALL is 'what would you do if the man you love was accused of murder?' With such a loaded question, I dived right into this book. And wow, did I love it. Claire's ability to create well-rounded characters of today is particularly refreshing. The writing is witty, sharp and instantly appealing. The story revolves around three central characters and how their lives intermingle after a man is murdered. It's a tale of how one action can change so much. It's about the impact of a crime rather than the violence committed. And it's real. It could happen to anyone. I haven't read a story like it before and I can see it being a huge success. THE FALL is a thoroughly, engaging read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5