Profile for Agnostic Duck > Reviews

Agnostic Duck (Gloucestershire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
The Last Battle [Explicit]
The Last Battle [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Jethro Tull, come Runrig, come Strawbs, come . . . . . ?, 17 Feb. 2015
Great!
Wonderful stuff from this Folksy Prog group - real tastes of Tull and Runrig; there's a Renaissance feel to it.
Difficult to pin down but it has a bouncy edge which makes it very accessible.
The music is a wonderful fusion of semi-acoustic rock. Perhaps a bit "popish/mainstream" in places but that enhances the overall pleasure, in my opinion.
Summarily - well worth investigating; it was a wild card buy and I have no regrets whatsoever.
Great songs and well played!!

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars A word of caution, 9 Feb. 2015
CAUTION - not a bad product and quite clever in its construction; it certainly covers most bases!
However, as an electrician, I am a little concerned about its "weightiness". In Canada, it had a tendency to pull itself out of the socket slightly; the two pins barely able to support the plug.
I am NOT saying don't buy this; it is quite useful. I am just saying use a little cauition.
Not bad really - it's okay!!

Willow's Song Ep
Willow's Song Ep

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe Rob should get back to being "himself"?, 4 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Willow's Song Ep (Audio CD)
After the "Sanctuary" album wherein Rob Reed performed in honour of one of great mentors - Mike Oldfield, this EP is a kind of follow on - I suppose.
"Willow's Song" is a ballad by American composer Paul Giovanni from the 1973 'cult' film The Wicker Man.
In the film Britt Ekland sings (well mimes) this prancing around starkers - although it was possibly her stand-in? She is trying to seduce the pious and pure policeman - Sgt Howie, (Edward Woodward) who tried valiantly to resist the sirens call.
The song is pleasant enough but very 70s folksy. Here Rob does his Oldfield stuff with the sweet, gentle voice of Angharad Brinn.
To "pad out" this EP we get more Oldfield themed work with Scarborough Fair, some VERY Oldfield pieces - "Gavotte" and "First Contact" (this is obviously heavily influenced by MO's "First Excursion". Then there are Demos from the "Sanctuary album.
To be honest I hope that Rob soon gets his Magenta hat back on, because the Oldfield cloning is tiresome.
"Sanctuary" was cleverly done and displayed Reed's musical talents well. However - after a while I just went back to the Oldfield "originals".
Pleasant and unassuming, this is okay but that is all

Kaliveoscope
Kaliveoscope

3.0 out of 5 stars It is just okay - that's all, 28 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Kaliveoscope (Audio CD)
Okay I am going to risk a volley of discontent from loyal Transatlantic fans. However - I consider myself one believe or not.
The music - well these guys rarely put a foot wrong, so the music is pretty much top notch.
However - brilliant a drummer as he is, I get fed up with Mike Portnoy's "yak"; he just doesn't seem able to hold his tongue and I find it irritating. Actually Neal Morse is no better - ramble, ramble, ramble!
Also - the studio album to live album run is getting wearing.
I am not, and would not demean the talent of this band - that is why I find this so regrettable.
Oh - I threw the DVD away - it was unwatchable!
Sorry - I am not going to bow to convention and lie; I take no pleasure in this review. I struggled with 3 stars to be honest.

The Ghosts of Pripyat
The Ghosts of Pripyat

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb - a masterly work, 25 Nov. 2014
To be honest I am just adding my voice to, (at the time), the 9 other reviews applauding this excellent album.
I hesitated buying it but the positive response seemed unequivocal - it is excellent.
I found it remarkably melodic and easy of the ear - that in no way infers that it is mundane; no way!
Steve has produced a quality collection here - all strong and enduring instrumentals.
Personally, it was worth it for the exquisite "Old Man of the Sea" alone - I could listen to this over and over; it has a sublime 'hook'.
I relied on other reviews and can only affirm the excellence of this fine album - worth every penny of the meager £5.49.

Acer C720 11.6-inch Chromebook (Silver) - (Intel Celeron 1.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Google Chrome)

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky and different - I like it., 16 Nov. 2014
This is a Chromebook operating on the Chrome Operating System - so forget convention.
I found it took a while to get used to but I soon warmed to it.
No access to most major software - but Google Docs works quite well and I have become a fan of Microsoft Online - OneDrive which I find quite convenient.
One thing I DO love is the lightening start up - very fast!!! Great for a quick Google Search!!
It is, in the main, a web based system, but with ever increasing access this shouldn't be an issue.
The touch pad is, perhaps, a little too sensitive and quirky and the battery life doesn't seem to be that special.
This might take a bit of practice and requires a little exploration, it is a different experience.
I like this little chap - it is proving useful but Chromebook might not be for everyone; it takes a bit of practice!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2015 2:36 PM GMT

Live Radio Broadcast - Whiskey A Go Go 27 Mar 72 (Complete and fully remastered FM broadcast)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not great sound quality - but still a joy to hear!!!, 3 Oct. 2014
Ah - very difficult. The magnificent Mahavishnu Orchestra, who were, in my humble opinion, unassailable.
The problem - as such - here, is the recording quality, which is rather poor. However, I expected this to be honest.
Perhaps this record is for ardent fans like myself? I am happy to grasp anything that captures THE Mahavishnu - McLaughlin, Cobham, Laird, Goodman and Hammer.
I am happy to tolerate the record quality; others might find it less tolerable? You pays yer money . . . .?
I did hover over three stars but couldn't bring myself to go any lower than four.
Despite the overall sound quality you still get the immense power of this staggering group of musicians, which, at times, is breath-taking but never less than superb. Actually, I think the sound gives it an edge but that maybe clutching at straws.
So - if you don't mind the 'roughness' - enjoy this seminal band. Superlative and ground-breaking Jazz Fusion.
John Mclaughlin - 6 & 12 string guitars
Add: - Sorry - track listing:
"Meeting Of The Spirits"
"Miles Beyond"
"The Dance of Maya"
"A Lotus On Irish Streams"
"The Noonward Race"
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2015 8:43 PM BST

R-Kive
R-Kive
Offered by mrtopseller

3.0 out of 5 stars Its okay but one wonders why?, 2 Oct. 2014
This review is from: R-Kive (Audio CD)
I was weaned on this band - I love this band. But I simply do NOT see the point in this!!
I suppose that it MIGHT attract a few NEW punters and from a certain point of view I have no problem encouraging a younger audience.
In this respect, it is, perhaps, Disc 1 that is the most significant - "classic Genesis".
Some of the post Gabriel and Hackett material is 'okay' more commercially inclined.
I guess this may polarize opinion - but it just seems like a commercial grab!
One facet that pleases me is the inclusion of some Tony Banks solo stuff - whereas I find the Collins and Mechanics material quite superfluous.
This is Genesis together and apart! This is Genesis - once a truly GREAT band and still a GREAT band in the historical context.
If you want to discover them; then this might help? But it is not the best indicator.
Personally - I hate the title!!!
I think I will pop Nursery Cryme on and remember!!

Tales from the Netherlands
Tales from the Netherlands

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars! Absolutely!, 1 Oct. 2014
I love this band – and this is a must have if you feel the same way, particularly as it features the only live recording to feature the amazing voice of Benoit David. He is supported by Benoit Dupuis on keyboards, François Fournier on bass, Sylvain Moineau on guitar, Jean-Sébastien Goyette on drums, and, of course, Mr Mystery - Michel St-Père on guitars.
In a nutshell this is really a live “best of” but great performances that show the band in full flight.
“As I Am”, “Sailing on a Wing”, “Wolf”, “Pride” are part of this 12 song package.
For me the highlight is a stunning live version of the 22 minute plus “Through Different Eyes” giving the band every opportunity to flex their musical muscle power and Benoit David the chance to display his vocal talents to the full.
Mystery are carrying on without him as Jean Pageau now takes his place and that is one hell of an act to follow!
Great live album performed in front of an appreciative and engaging audience.
Five stars – absolutely. Thanks guys and thank you Benoit David, you WILL be missed!

Sanctuary
Sanctuary
Offered by Tigermoth Productions Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back - Mike!, 29 July 2014
This review is from: Sanctuary (Audio CD)
First and foremost - I really like this recording.
However, I can see how it might polarize opinion.
Rob Reed is the driving force behind that rather fine "Prog Band" Magenta and the excellent "Beneath The Waves" by Kompendium
Robert has made no secret of the fact that he is cloning Mike Oldfield, who has been an inspiration to him; there is no pretence on this score.
What you get here is something that recalls "Tubular Bells", Hergest Ridge", "Ommadawn" and "Incantations"; for many, like me, (and, I assume Robert Reed), Oldfield's Golden Age. And it does recall them, you hear them throughout, with, I think, a little "Taurus 1" (from "Five Miles Out").
However, every now and then "Sanctuary" displays some of its own individual character; which is quite refreshing.
As one would expect of such a venture, it has been meticulously crafted and performed; Reed obviously wanted to reflect Oldfield's mastery.
So we go back to the 70s, with Reed playing all and everything - well, nearly all; not even Mike did that!! He does mandolin, acoustic guitars, bass guitar, glockenspiel, tympani, grand piano et al. Oh - and tubular bells of course!!
Robert has shown respect and deference and in that has made a wonderful record. "Sanctuary", like its mentors is "Part One" and "Part Two" - okay "Incantations" had Parts Three and Four!!
I read in a recent article that Reed was concerned that he might have failed to capture Oldfield's trademark guitar sound so often recalled a searing, almost angst ridden scream wherein he poured his heart and soul. Reed gets pretty close at times.
What really boosts this in terms of credibility; if indeed it needs it, is the guiding hands of the original "Tubular Bells" team - Tom Newman, (who also play the bodhran), and Simon Heyworth; this, I feel is very significant; it has their blessing. Whether or not it has Oldfield's, I do not know; although there is surely nothing for him to get upset about?
This record took me back to where I love to be - that stunning quartet from 1973 - 1978, when the only way Oldfield could express himself, was through his music. It is sadly ironic that "therapy" relieved him of many of his personal demons, only to diffuse his music.
This recording is easy to define and I have done so by the above comparisons and influences; it unashamedly has elements and definite similarities from all of those recordings.
One of the most striking similarities is the closing section a la Hergest Ridge - slow fade out to multi-tracked recorders.
So why only four stars?
Well, it's a personal thing really, (as a review should be); I nearly went to five but faltered, after all, it isn't what one might call "original" and having listened to it, I simply returned to the inspirations behind it.
Also - I am a bit peeved by the running time. I know one might say "quality not quantity" but I would have thought someone with Reed's creative skills and talents could have taken it over 40 minutes without compromise?
Having said that - money well spent really. All I can say now is - "Thank you Robert Reed, for not being afraid to do this and for respecting where it came from; you have done a truly excellent job."
A very worthy 4 stars though!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2015 3:46 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16