Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now
Profile for Agnostic Duck > Reviews

Content by Agnostic Duck

Agnostic Duck (Gloucestershire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
The Great Unknown
The Great Unknown

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my best discoveries., 19 Oct. 2016
This review is from: The Great Unknown (MP3 Download)
I can see why Mr Neal Morse has snapped this guy up. He is the business.
This is amazing - Eric is a darn good guitarist and on this, his second "outing"; he is supported by Connor Green (Haken) on Bass, Diego Tejeida (HAKEN) on keys and last last, but not least, the fiery Thomas Lang on drums.
I could wibble on and bore you with a track break down but will save you that.
I guess it is "Prog" - but there's some Fusion in there with a few other tasty bits.
Some power driven material - almost 'metal' interlaced with something more AOR.
I must single out the (sort of) ballad - "Empty" - stunning and so heartfelt.Just fabulous!
Followed by an 'anthemic' - "Runaway" - great stuff.
This guy deserves a listen - he has masses of talent and I sincerely hope that he produces a lot more solo stuff.
Neal Morse has made a REAL find here; a musician who is equal to him!
Great production. Great musicianship!

Dear Mother: A gripping and emotional story that will make you sob your heart out

4.0 out of 5 stars Just about made 4 stars., 25 Sept. 2016
Ooops! I wrote the wrong review for this at first.
I'm a big fan of Angela Marsons and must say that this didn't grab me straight away - but once the hook sank in, I started to enjoy it, as much as you can enjoy a book depicting such "emotional damage". I didn't find it particularly "gripping" but it did get very emotional. To be honest there were moments when I found it irritating, but they were fleeting.
Not her best but well worth the £1.99. Scrapes in with 4 stars.

For All Our Sins (DCI Claire Winters crime series, Book 1)
For All Our Sins (DCI Claire Winters crime series, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay!, 11 Sept. 2016
Lots of great reviews BUT I found this little more than an average thriller. I found the central characters quite irritating at times. I wasn't a "bad" book per se; it just seemed to limp and labour somewhat. I'd be willing to give Book 2 a chance - perhaps.
It was - okay!

Strange Hobby
Strange Hobby

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and nicely done!, 9 Sept. 2016
This review is from: Strange Hobby (Audio CD)
This is a real delight. I bought this on a whim and have absolutely no regrets!
Yes - it's a covers album and an interesting selection at that.
Pinks Floyd's "See Emily Play" and "Arnold Layne".
Melanie/Rolling Stones - "Ruby Tuesday"
Beach Boys - "Sloop John B"
Hollies - "Bus Stop"
And so on . . . . . .
Arjen Anthony Lucassen has done the right thing letting this out of the bag once more; it's good, solid entertainment.The renditions are slightly 'heavy' in sound but not in a detrimental way.
Go on - sing-a-longa Arjen - 5 stars because it really made me smile as well!

The Thrills & Spills of Genocide Jill: The 3rd Inspector Capstan book, a funny British laugh out loud comedy

2.0 out of 5 stars Must have lost my sense of humour?, 9 Sept. 2016
Laugh out loud? Well, I was looking forward to a good laugh! Sadly, I could barely manage a smile.
This tries too hard to be funny; and - in my humble opinion - fails.
I got bored a third of the way through - it just got sillier and sillier. Whatever the plot was - I lost it.
It is strange how perceptions vary and I did have high hopes for this; they were dashed.
I tried, but could not get into it. I have a good sense of humour and enjoy nothing more than a - "good laugh"; out loud or otherwise.
Sorry - I just got bored with it. Shame.
Oh well - back to Austen!

Love You Dead (Roy Grace Book 12)
Love You Dead (Roy Grace Book 12)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great series, 28 July 2016
This will not be a windy review as there are enough of those. Also, I don't want it to be a spoiler.
However - this ties a few things off quite nicely - WHILST possibly opening another door?
Very sad to see a leading "cast member" go - BUT not who you might think!! So do not jump to conclusions!
Here's to No13 - but, be careful Peter the longer this goes on, maybe the more fragile it gets????

Her Missing Husband: A Short Story
Her Missing Husband: A Short Story

2.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed., 8 July 2016
I am SO sorry - I really loved "Throwaway Children" - such a moving story, and I was keen to find out more about the nefarious Jimmy. Sadly, this was a real let down and more could have been made of it. Sorry Diney - this is not the way to go!
Okay - it was only 99p but that's not the point, especially when you KNOW she is capable of MUCH better.

Invention Of Knowledge
Invention Of Knowledge
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Yes! And there's more!, 25 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Invention Of Knowledge (Audio CD)
I wanted to write a deep and meaning review, but decided to throw it out of the window!
To be honest, and I am possibly one of many; I was wary of this project. It sounded very interesting and worthy of great potential; but there was a nagging doubt.
How on earth can you NOT make Yes comparisons?
You have THE voice of Yes. And - the skills, talent and vision of Roine Stolt - along with a group of players/performers who know their business.
This made me feel very nostalgic - the best Yes album in years. But it really does have other elements, Jon does Jon has wonderfully as ever, but Roine also injects some of magic. It's complex and involved but very listenable.
The performances are first class and this is epic prog - epic music.
I suppose, bearing in mind the commitments both protagonists face, it may well be a "one off" but IF there was the slightest chance, a follow on would be a tempting prospect.
All doubts and reservations cast aside. A joy and a pleasure. Well done Jon and Roine - well done ALL!

A Night in the Sun
A Night in the Sun

5.0 out of 5 stars First class Light Jazz/Latin/Fusion Instrumentals, 18 Jun. 2016
This review is from: A Night in the Sun (Audio CD)
A real gem of an album from this superb drummer/percussionist.
Well worth re-discovering as it was first released in 1982 - I believe.
Excellent Light Jazz, come Latin come Fusion and easy on the ear.
Strong performances throughout from the man himself, on drums - of course, along with Jamil Joanes on Bass, Márcio Montarroyos on Flugelhorn, Ricardo Silveira on Guitar, Lincoln Olivetti on Keyboards and an excellent group of supporting session players.
A joy to listen too, I am really pleased to have this back in my collection. Highly recommended.

Sanctuary II
Sanctuary II
Offered by rocknsoul2013

4.0 out of 5 stars A very worthy follow on., 10 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Sanctuary II (Audio CD)
I was a little concerned about a Sanctuary II wondering whether or not it should have been left at Sanctuary I; thankfully my concerns have been allayed.
Once again, the dash clever Mr Reed has cloned a certain Michael Oldfield Esq. And he does it very well indeed, no question about that!
On first listen I think I prefer Sanctuary II, which surprised me. One major impact is the presence of the incomparable Simon Phillips, who gives it real edge and more punch.
Also - people hear different things when listening to the same record and I hear a little more "originality" as far as it goes; I hear Rob giving just a bit more of himself; yes, he is mimicking Oldfield but adding Rob Reed nuances, at least that is what I hear.
It's good - and I like it! Don't be deterred in any way by a very respectable 4 stars - I mark hard,and, to be fair, it's not exactly original. Never-the-less, a job very well done Mr Reed. It will interesting to see/hear how the live performances go in October (2016).
Sanctuary III - mmmm? Be careful - TB's III & IV didn't work for me! Having said that, it did for others!!
Like this - recommend this!
Oh! The bonus material is fun as well. Some interesting bits and pieces of Oldfield influenced works, with a few "Alternative Takes".
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2016 3:01 AM BST