Profile for Mr. W Gunn > Reviews

Content by Mr. W Gunn

Mr. W Gunn "W.Gunn" (Cheshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Sony PlayStation DualShock 4 Controller - Jet Black (PS4)
Sony PlayStation DualShock 4 Controller - Jet Black (PS4)

5.0 out of 5 stars If in doubt regarding it being official or genuine call PlayStation support give them the serial number on back they can check, 25 Aug. 2016
I bought this from Amazon themselves and not a Marketplace seller. It is a genuine authentic Dualshock 4. I phoned PlayStation support to double check, if you give them the serial number from the label on back under the barcode they can check on their system.

The main reason I called them was because this DS4 feels quite different to the controller that was bundled with the PS4. Everything felt a bit stiffer and buttons firmer, the glossy finish on buttons have been changed, triggers felt sturdier.

After speaking to them they told me that this is an updated version. They said they changed the trigger springs from plastic to proper metal springs. The thumb stick coating has been changed to stop any peeling. They have removed the glossy finish on the buttons to matte finish and so on.

I bought the Jet Black PS4 which is completely matte including the HDD cover. Great to stop fingerprints but still has a insatiable appetite for dust. But dust is easier to remove than smears!

It feels different in your hand as well, sturdier and although the buttons feel more firm I'm guessing you'll get less accidental button presses on this new model easier to clean too.

I really like this "stealth" update the build quality has really gone up a lot. I didn't know until today that Jet Black and Black were different colours.

Trigger springs thumb sticks and buttons have improved on the launch model I first had.

Roberts Radio Stream93i DAB/DAB+/FM RDS and WiFi Internet Radio with Three Way Speaker System

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I've Ever Wanted In A Radio And Then Some.., 16 April 2016
I've been fortunate, some may say unfortunate enough to spend my life performing music, recording it and ultimately listening to it. In retrospect music has and is at my core.

Of course the talent of the artists and bands are the most important factor in making music. Without them, the geniuses who record, master & produce it would be obsolete. But the most important links in the chain, the two things that makes music one of, if not the most powerful medium in the world are 1, the listener and 2, the technology you use to listen to it. You could make the most amazing audio experience in the universe, but if technology you are listening to it on is below par the experience will be flat and leave you feeling a bit unfulfilled.

I've been around sound technology for well, ever. Yes there are some brilliant sound systems out there, Dennon and Bose for example. Best DAB radios seem to be Pure, with their Evoke range amongst others. But in my opinion Roberts have left the others still heading to the review field.

After 4 days of using my Roberts Stream 93i it has blown me away!! I could have written a shorter review but it would feel like I would be doing Roberts a serious disservice! Also considering the price tag being quite er steep, buying one of these is more of an investment. A quick "it's great" isn't very enlightening as to whether to take the plunge and buying one.

Build Quality: One word, Exceptional! 'Looks can indeed be deceiving'... This very compact and stylish radio with it's high sheen piano finish, integrated solid metal cary handle shouts prime quality even before you plug in to the mains.

Sound Quality: Again like build is also exceptional. The Stream 93i has 3 Way Speakers configuration, the Bass Woofer is at the rear while the main stereo Speaker units are on front behind a nice foam fronting.

The ranges of Speakers sound like they should belong as part of a model 5x more expensive. I've tried it at full volume purely for scientific reasons of course. :) During carrying out each of these tests no distortion was observed. That maybe down to the speaker housing being acoustically tuned.

Initial setup takes under 5 minutes, when switching on for first time or, should you be left with no other option but to reformat the 93i on the first screen you are met with a startup wizard which guides you through restoration without issue.

Connectivity: Either by Ethernet RJ-45 cable or WiFi like my setup. If your router has WPS connection is a matter of pressing WPS on router and running network scan from the unit and selecting your network from the list you are presented with on unit. Find your network. Select it and within seconds you're connected to the network.

The Roberts Stream 93i has FM, DAB and DAB+ A Line in (Aux for CD, MP3 player) a connection for your IPod et al, jack for head/earphones. Internet Radio, you can access over 200k stations by name search. Location or Genre. You also have 120 presets shared across the Radio.

And finally, if you have Spotify Premium £9.99 you are able to use the Spotify Apps to stream music from the App your phone, Tablet or device to the Roberts Stream 93i wherever you are.

The Alarms are great, choose which service you want to wake up to... DAB, FM, Internet Radio and Spotify of course. Or you can go old skool and set it to buzzer.

The Roberts Stream 93i is brilliant! The only radio you'll ever need! If I can help, Please let me know.

Thanks Roberts, Amazon and Hermes!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2016 11:34 AM BST

Bush  DABCR2004  DAB Clock Radio
Bush DABCR2004 DAB Clock Radio

4.0 out of 5 stars 10 years old and Still Going Strong! A Nice DAB Clock Radio, 9 April 2016
Firstly I should mention that I bought one of these Bush DAB Radio Alarm clocks at our local ASDA supermarket back in 2006. Now 10 years old and still performing well.

Like other reviewers have said, the menu system is a bit long winded but at the time I bought this DAB was relatively new or it was to me. Like everything though, if you use it a couple of times the menu and operations become second nature. So much so you can do it in your sleep!

Once you've got used to it you will find shortcuts through the menu screens, they cycle, so if something takes 3 clicks of left/up key from main screen it takes 2 clicks of the right/down key to get there. Setting Alarm takes a couple of seconds.

We got quickly used to the screen brightness, being Green it isn't over bright like Red or Blue.

All that said, we have decided to upgrade the unit today simply due to the FM Wire Aerial, we put our kitchen DAB next to the Bush, the only difference is that the kitchen radio has a telescopic rod aerial and it picked up another 20 stations. Even so the Bush DABCR2004 receives 50 plus stations.

Sound quality is excellent considering the price and that it is mono. I can't understand why manufacturers make DAB radios "crystal clear reception..." only to put it into a mono speaker?

Build quality is great. Still working after 10 years of daily use! For the money it's a winner.

No buzzing or humming experienced even when plugged into plasterboard wall socket.

The only reason really we are changing is because we want a stereo DAB and Internet radio access at the bedside. Oh and the buzzer is extra loud! Great for very heavy sleepers!

Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide
Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide
by David Hodgson

5.0 out of 5 stars Do You Love Fallout 4? Then You Are Bound To Love The Vault Dweller's Survival Guide. My Best Buy Of The Year So Far!, 28 Feb. 2016
I'm new to the gaming world, finally decided to take the plunge and buy myself a PlayStation 4. I've played on friends consoles but never got around to buying one of my own.

It was while I was insuring the PS4 that the agent recommended Fallout 4. The game is massive, bigger than GTA V yet takes less HDD space. I'm used to linear and semi open world gaming but Fallout 4 blew the roof off anything I've experienced before.

There is so much happening in the post nuclear world that it's easy to get lost, sidetracked and most definitely frustrated and confused. The Vault Dweller's Survival Guide (Collector's Edition) is indispensable... It tells you everything the game and tutorials don't! Explains the gameplay mechanics. I would go as far as to say this is the Fallout 4 Bible.

The quality and feel of the book is authentic even to the tiniest details such as the Toner blobs on the pages. The print quality is premium, the pages are semi glossy. The layout is excellent very easy to read, cross reference and have full colour screenshots and artwork.

Some reviews say the pages are thin and easy to rip. This doesn't seem to apply to the Hardcover Collector's Edition, in fact this edition is the polar opposite, thick quality paper. Very detailed excellent maps too e

The Collector's Edition comes with a very large poster sized double sided map that goes into great detail. A full set of S.P.E.C.I.A.L Lithographs that come complete in Vault-Tec sleeve.

Also included is free access to Prima Games Vault Dweller's Survival eGuide which means you can access the similar stuff that's in the book on your device. You do have to register for an account with them first though. But it is free and takes less than 2 minutes to do.

If you are new to Fallout 4 like me this will give you the all the information you need and then some. For those who are Fallout legends this will give you even more stuff from crafting to stats this guide has it all!

The two friends I know play this have just completed their 100 & 150 hours real time in game!

An epic book 544 pages to compliment an epic game!

Book Stand Reading Rest Holder
Book Stand Reading Rest Holder
Offered by Gifts for Book Lovers

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stand for Medium Thickness Books But Great For Devices!, 13 Feb. 2016
This stand looks great, nice quality to it too.

I bought this, as I've broken my ribs and I love to read but trying to get comfortable enough to read a book whilst trying to find the right position to be able to relax at the same time. The Directors Chair Book stand has been very helpful.

It's not perfect though, then again what is? I bought this primarily for reading in bed, it's built well and is stable but the design is hook and eye. When I hook it together and put the stand on the bed or desk the hook comes out of the eye and when trying to turn over the page it has collapsed a couple of times.

It could just be me, failing to grasp (no pun intended) the hook and securing it in place properly. But I've tried screwing the eye different ways and it has sorted it out to a point. There are no suggestions or instructions, but it is very simple to set up. It would be nice though if they gave you an idea as to how to keep the hook secure.

The other problem is, this stand won't hold very thick books, e.g. Dan Brown sized books. The page holders are adjustable to a degree with the aid of a small Phillips screwdriver. I would have given it 5 stars if the screws were longer and it mentioned needing a screwdriver to adjust.

It's a fantastic tablet and Kindle stand with space to charge the device whilst reading or watching.

I would recommend it, looks great and is practical other than the couple of things I found. Brilliant price too. Works as a copy holder as well.

Seagate Spinpoint M9t 2Tb 2.5" Internal Hard Drive ST2000LM003
Seagate Spinpoint M9t 2Tb 2.5" Internal Hard Drive ST2000LM003
Offered by The Tech Warehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for PlayStation 4 Upgrade, 3 Feb. 2016
I'm a relative newbie to the world of PlayStation, friends had been telling me for months to get with the programme and buy a PS4. So glad I did! After looking at the prices though, I decided to buy the 500Gb version. Very quickly discovered that 500Gb is really very small when you take in to account Sony's OS updates, apps and games.

For example, GTA V 50Gb install then a recent 90Gb update that's an obscene 140Gb gone even before you start playing! So after looking around & researching I took a risk and bought this.

It is exactly as described, fits like a glove too. The actual transplant took less than 5 minutes, the build quality is great.

As a result and allowing for all the bloat included your getting 1.77Tb free space, I've noticed faster read speeds but the rpm is same 5400 as original stock drive. Probably due to it being new.

So far so good, if it lasts then its worth the investment!

Blade Tech Knife and Tool Sharpener (Black)
Blade Tech Knife and Tool Sharpener (Black)
Offered by Tamarack

5.0 out of 5 stars It Really Does Work... Great Price For A Brilliant Effective Sharpener, 17 Feb. 2015
I bought this to sharpen my new Fishing and Camping Knife and it truly works!

When I first saw it, it looked tiny! Seemed to be as light as a feather too. I didn't think it would work very well if at all, how wrong was I! They say "Good things come in small packages" and it's true with this tool...

It sharpens and reshapes the blades I've tried with it, ranging from my Lawnmower, Garden Shears, Kitchen Scissors and of course the new knife! It's so easy to use and it comes with directions and there are YouTube How-to videos.

I've sharpened a really dull very blunt kitchen knife in less than a minute. It's now razor sharp no exaggeration.

It just does what it says it does and does it well!!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Knife At An Even Greater Price Tag! Honestly Don't Know How I Lived Without It..., 17 Feb. 2015
As the title says "A Great Knife At An Even Greater Price Tag." In my opinion.

I don't profess to be or have any "expert" knowledge of blades and knives, but, I have recently received one of these and it's great!

I work with wood and Cables, Fish and love the outdoors and I also smoke a tobacco pipe. This knife is ample for all my needs. The most demanding task is actually tobacco preparation.

This is a Full Tang, solid blade and comes with a Nylon sheath and belt loop. What's surprised me the most is the weight, it's lovely and heavy making cutting a breeze, nice clean slice. The other thing that makes this even better is that the blade arrives nice and sharp ready for use.

The handle is solid too, it's a light wood or wood effect colour and grain. I've sharpened it once before preparing some stubborn flake tobacco, it's easy to clean, easy to get razor sharp and holds it's edge for a long time (depending what you're using it for of course).

The only slight issue I have with it is, inside the handle there is a "Fire Steel" again nicely made like the knife but, try as I might I can't get any sparks from it! Any tips would be gratefully received!

Apart from that, this knife is well worth the price, I can see it lasting for years if it's maintained. It's quite large but not stupidly big, after a few minutes I forget I've got it in my belt. Looking for a good quality usable blade then this is one if not the knife to buy!!

Viceroybedding Goose Feather And Down Duvet / Quilt, 13.5 Tog Double Bed Size,Contains 40% Down, the higher the 'down' content, the more luxurious the duvet
Offered by Viceroy Bedding

5.0 out of 5 stars Also On First Impressions A Quality Quilt/Duvet So Far So Good. With a Bit of Love Think They'll Be Great, 17 Dec. 2014
I've just received the Duvet/Quilt this morning, I can honestly say that it looks and feels great now!

Some reviews mention how "Thin" "No Feathers" and so on...

When it arrived it was in its own zip case, looked good. I was initially really worried about the thickness too. But I frantically searched for any instruction and care info. It said on the label to "Shake" regularly, so I spent 5 to 10 minutes shaking and it plumped up nicely! The Duvet/Quilt has pocket stitching meaning the feathers and Down are evenly distributed. Having owned a naturally filled Quilt before I remembered the filling "settles" and it needs daily shake outs.

Reviews also say it's noisy, it is to a certain extent, but that's how Feather Duvets are in my experience, I think there's a bag like casing which protects you from being poked and stabbed by feathers!

Smell/Odour Yes! There is quite a pungent smell of feathers when you first unpack. But it disappears quickly once it airs about 2 or 3 hours.

All this said though, I haven't slept under it yet! I hope it's Cat and Girlfriend proof!

PAIR OF FINE WHITE GOOSE FEATHER & DOWN PILLOWS BY VICEROYBEDDING
PAIR OF FINE WHITE GOOSE FEATHER & DOWN PILLOWS BY VICEROYBEDDING
Offered by Viceroy Bedding

5.0 out of 5 stars On First Impressions, 17 Dec. 2014
I've just received the Pillows this morning, I can honestly say they look and feel great now!

When they arrived, the pillows where in their own case, looked good. I was initially really worried about the thickness too. But I frantically searched for any instruction and care info. It said on the label to "Shake" regularly, so I spent 5 to 10 minutes shaking and they plumped up nicely! The pillows were as flat as a pancake when they arrived! The filling "settles" and they need daily shake

Smell/Odour Yes! There is quite a pungent smell of feathers when you first unpack. But it disappears quickly once they air for about 2 or 3 hours.

All this said though, I haven't slept on them yet!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4