Profile for Gaynor Thomas > Reviews

Content by Gaynor Thomas

Gaynor Thomas "Bosslady" (Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Virgin's Daughter: A Tudor Legacy Novel
The Virgin's Daughter: A Tudor Legacy Novel
by Laura Andersen

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 19 Oct. 2015
This is the first in a new series of books from the author of the brilliant Boleyn King trilogy. Following on from "what if Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn had a boy child that lived and became Henry IX" we get "what if Elizabeth I had got married and had a daughter". In this book Lucette, who is the daughter of two of the main characters from The Boleyn King, is sent to France to spy for Elizabeth and try to uncover the origins of the Nightingale Plot, designed to free Mary Queen of Scots. During her investigations she finds love and danger in equal measure. I love these books, the storytelling is compelling and the characters are interesting and well-developed. I am so glad there are another two books to come for me to enjoy!

The Scam: (Fox & O'Hare)
The Scam: (Fox & O'Hare)
by Janet Evanovich

4.0 out of 5 stars A cut above, 13 Oct. 2015
This is the fourth in the Fox and O'Hare series of books by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg. Kate O'Hare is an FBI agent who has been teamed up with master fraudster Nic Fox to bring down criminals by stepping outside the law, for the greater good. As you would expect from Janet Evanovich, there are plenty of thrills and spills, a cast of comic characters, and lots of unresolved sexual tension between the two leads. The whole series is enjoyable, but this latest offering has more of a menacing feel to it, which I think raises it above the first three. Nick and Kate's relationship is a key component of the stories and it is nice to see their characters developing. I also love Kate's dad, Jake - he's everything a father should be, loving, kind, patient, and always has a rocket launcher to hand, "just-in-case". An excellent addition to the series, with an ending which definitely leaves you wanting more!

Blackout
Blackout

4.0 out of 5 stars What happens when a good person does a bad thing, 16 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Blackout (Kindle Edition)
What happens when a good person does a bad thing? A split second is all it takes to change a life, a decision made in a moment that sets in motion a chain of events leading to darkness beyond imagination. Gregory Samsa has a daughter he adores, a career he loves and is good at, and believes himself to be a good man. But everything he thinks he knows changes in one night, and nothing can ever be the same again...
Campbell Armstrong is the author of Jig, which I consider amongst my favourite books, so I was keen to read this new book when I saw it on NetGalley. I wasn't disappointed. Although it begins slowly, the story builds to an exciting climax and I didn't know what the outcome would be until the very last page, by which time I was on the edge of my seat and turning the pages as fast as I could!

The Tournament
The Tournament

4.0 out of 5 stars Matthew Reilly is an excellent writer of high-octane, 21 July 2015
This review is from: The Tournament (Kindle Edition)
Matthew Reilly is an excellent writer of high-octane, roller-coaster, every-other-page-a-cliffhanger, thrillers. Enjoyable books, written in a deceptively simple style. He himself has said how difficult it is to write something which is so easy to read. This book is very different to his usual style, much less frantic and more thoughtful, and shows what a good writer he really is. Elizabeth 1st, her teacher Roger Ascham, and their companions, travel to Constantinople to attend an international chess tournament at the invitation of Sultan Suleiman. But when they arrive they become involved in the intrigues of the Ottoman court, and when Roger Ascham is called upon by the Sultan to help solve a particularly gruesome murder, things become very dangerous for him, his queen, and their entire party. There is still plenty of action in this book, but with the added interest of historical details, a bit of philosophy, and some well-rounded characters. I fell a little bit in love with Mr Ascham, and I really hope that there will be more books in this series.
I received a proof copy of this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

The Truth According to Us
The Truth According to Us

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed reading this so much, 6 July 2015
I enjoyed reading this so much! I loved everything about it and it was one of those rare books which I found myself reading slowly, so that I could really savour it. It reminded me very much of To Kill a Mockingbird - the characters and the relationships between them were so well drawn and timeless. Annie Barrows is definitely one of my favourite authors! I received an advanced reading copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Wicked Charms: A Lizzy and Diesel Novel (Diesel 3)
Wicked Charms: A Lizzy and Diesel Novel (Diesel 3)
by Janet Evanovich

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Evanovich, 6 July 2015
This is classic Janet Evanovich. There is nothing new here, all the usual characters are present and correct (albeit with different names, Lizzie = Stephanie, Diesel = Ranger etc). But it is none the worse for this. The characters are why I love the books so much! The plot is flimsy at best, unbelievable at worst, but that doesn't really matter. Somehow it still works. This is a fast, fun, read and a very pleasant way to pass a few hours. I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in return for an honest review.

Bryant & May - The Burning Man: (Bryant & May 12)
Bryant & May - The Burning Man: (Bryant & May 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 3 Jun. 2015
This is the twelfth in a series of books about two elderly detectives called Bryant and May. The setting is modern but the methods of the two protagonists, particularly Bryant, are firmly rooted in the past. This dichotomy makes for a very amusing read. I loved this book. It made me laugh and it made me sad, and I grew very fond of Bryant and May. The writing is quirky and in some places quite esoteric, but this all adds to the atmosphere of the whole. I was laughing aloud in the first few pages, which is always a good sign. Highly recommended, and I am going to seek out the others so that I can restart the story from the beginning!
I received a proof copy of this book from the publishers via NetGalley, in return for an honest review.

Three Twisted Stories
Three Twisted Stories

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, 16 April 2015
This is a bit of a strange book. Being a fan of Karin Slaughter I was keen to read it, but it was not what I expected at all. That's not to say it wasn't good, it was, but it was very different to her usual books. The first story takes up over half the book and at the beginning I was a little shocked at the crudeness, but by the end I could understand the need for it as part of the story. Although I was unsure of it at the beginning by the end I had really enjoyed it. The second story is very short but works well as an example of the short-story format. The final story was really rather odd and I have to admit that I didn't quite get it. Overall I enjoyed the book, and it was nice to read different types of stories from an author who I know writes well.
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Dead Time: A DC Max Wolfe Short Story
Dead Time: A DC Max Wolfe Short Story

4.0 out of 5 stars Good short story, 14 April 2015
This is a novella about the character of Max Wolfe, who is the detective in other Tony Parsons stories. As a short story it works very well. There is a good story arc and the characters are well drawn. At just over 70 pages there is not much more I can say about it, but it does make you want to read more about the characters, which I guess is the point really. I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

The Great Zoo Of China
The Great Zoo Of China
by Matthew Reilly

4.0 out of 5 stars Jurassic Park on steroids!, 13 April 2015
This review is from: The Great Zoo Of China (Hardcover)
Jurassic Park on steroids! This book is typical Matthew Reilly, a complete page turner that can only be read at 100 miles an hour. An easy read, it will never win any literary prizes but it is a very good example of its type. As the author himself says, it is actually quite hard to write a book that reads this easily, and he is happy if people just enjoy his books. In which case, this is definitely a winner! One for fans of Michael Crichton or Clive Cussler. I received an advance copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3