Profile for D. Phillips > Reviews

Content by D. Phillips

D. Phillips (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
True Love and Other Disasters (Chinooks Hockey Team Book 4)
True Love and Other Disasters (Chinooks Hockey Team Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love!, 17 May 2012
This is one of my favourite Rachel Gibson books who has me hooked on all her books but particularly the Chinook hockey series. This one is definitely a keeper, Mrs Duffy has sass, spice and guts and Ty Savage... oh my gosh, swoon! If only men like that really existed... The book has plenty of humour, teasing and steamy scenes, I could not put it down, there were moments I laughed out load and at points my husband asked me why I was grinning at the book.
I liked that the heroine had a insecure and feminine side and Ty Savage a soft spot that was reserved especially for her. With Rachael Gibson's books you know exactly who ends up with whom but the journey she takes you on to get there is hilarious, fun, sexy and pure guilty chick lit pleasure. Enjoy!

At Your Pleasure
At Your Pleasure

4.0 out of 5 stars Still loving Meredith Duran, 17 May 2012
This review is from: At Your Pleasure (Kindle Edition)
This author can't really go wrong... well 5 books and counting and none of them have particularly disappointed me. This book was great but not necessarily my favourite. The book is serious and set during a dark period of English history which itself was portrayed in a realistic way. MD has a way of transporting you into the books setting and allows you to live and breath that time. She's almost like Georgette Heyer in her realistic portrayal and convincing language/behaviours. I didn't particularly like the heroine but the hero was great - it's a serious novel with plenty of emotional torment. Even though not my favourite I still read it in one sitting because Meredith Duran takes me to another world.

Brave the Wild Wind (Wyoming)
Brave the Wild Wind (Wyoming)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite Johanna Lindsey book, 17 May 2012
I have quite of Johanna Lindsey books and some are real keepers that I'll re-read over and over again (Say You Love being my absolute favourite) but I really struggled to get through this book. The heroine was really immature and just plain stubborn to the point of stupidity so I couldn't warm to her. The hero was a bit lacklustre with a background in gambling and a wooly life story at best. I think I could get over that but then the story lacked cohesion with a lot of different themes, first there is the western theme, then the Indian theme and finally a Spanish theme, I just could get "into" any of them as a result. I'll try to sequel to this book and see if it's any better but this was a bit lacklustre.

Snatched (The Will Trent Series)
Snatched (The Will Trent Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for July, 14 May 2012
Karin Slaughters story telling is second to none, so even a short one takes you through the motions: fast-paced action, emotional turmoil, great dialogue. The story is written so that you can read this without having previously read any other stories involving Special Agent Trent (albeit a stripped down version of the character, no mentions of his past or present issues and short comings which make him so interesting). Best bit - I thought I had guessed the solution part way through but no, I hadn't and that's what I love about the author's stories, they keep you guessing until the very last pages.
Plus there is the bonus chapter of Karin Slaughters' upcoming novel this July.
This was much better than the last short story prior to Fallen which I found a little ... dark.
For couple of quid it'll whet the appetite of current fans and for those who don't know Karin Slaughters book, for that price give it a go, before you know it you're likely to be hooked on one of the best suspense and thriller writers out there.

Deadlocked: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse 12)
Deadlocked: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse 12)
by Charlaine Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars A fill in book, 2 May 2012
I have to agree with some of these reviews written here. I too read this book over two days and at the end it just left me feeling a bit disappointed. There was a lot of Sookie's foundering around on her own, a lot of pointless conversations and a really predictable plot line. This book just felt like a filler before the Grand Finale.

There was no depth around Sookie's relationships (and not that there is a whole lot of it in the whole series but even so...) and there were a lot of very predictable situations... at some points I guessed what was going to happen before the 2 page description of Sookie mentally coming to the same conclusion. The whole element of surprise and mystery was sadly lacking in this book. There was also A LOT of characters (along with a paragraph of history back filling, which means nothing to you if you haven't read the book previously and too much if you have) and I was struggling to stay connected to all of them.

Nevertheless I always enjoy the plots in these books and the the mystery story telling is great to follow. The best bit was the last 10% (Kindle terms) where there was a bit of action and finally something happened which meant I didn't feel completely disappointed. I will buy the next book - just for completeness and pray that Ms Harris really finishes it off with a "bang" and explains all the unexplained.

True Blood Omnibus II: Dead to the World, Dead as a Doornail, Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse Omnibus Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting better and better, 17 Jan. 2012
I bought the omnibous with novels 1-3 as I thought it was a good deal and before I knew I was hooked. These books get better and better. I think the authors writing is becoming a lot better than in the first 3 books. She writes convincingly, the plots are great. The only frustrating thing was book number 6 which I believe had a back story in one of the short novels. I was reading it and thinking... hang on, have a missed a novel? That was annoying and maybe the short novels should be included in the Omnibuses or at least something to indicated there is a story inbetween?

I haven't noticed any major spelling mistakes as reported in the reviews below so maybe they has been some tidying or maybe when you're enjoying something so much your brain fills it in for you?

Great price from Amazon though and for such hefty novels having them on the kindle is a dream.

Written on Your Skin
Written on Your Skin
by Meredith Duran
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Meredith Duran's best, 6 Jan. 2012
So by this stage I have read all of Meredith Duran's books which are generally great. She writes well, has great dialogue, convincing plot and story telling, not to mention a solid dose of romance and intimate scenes. With this book however I just didn't like the heroine Mina, and when I don't like a heroine I really struggle to enjoy the book even if the rest of it is good. Phin isn't nearly as exciting as he was portrayed in Bound by Your Touch. I agree with another reviewer here, both characters were just that bit too self-absorbed and their angst a little contrived. Nevertheless I'll still keep buying MD's book because she is truely becoming one of my favourite historical romance writers. I have noticed that she tries to create different characters in each book, which is generally a good idea and I'm sure difficult to do, no one heroine/hero is the same in all of her books up to now.
I just hope that when Meredith Duran writes about Lockwood from Duke of Shadows she doesn't ruin it for us for the sake of creating a different character... sometimes repetition is good (e.g. Judith McNaught books can be formulaic but still fabulous reads).

Bound by Your Touch
Bound by Your Touch

5.0 out of 5 stars Won me over, 6 Jan. 2012
I wasn't sure about this ebook when I got it. I had read a couple of MD books by this stage but nothing really compared to the Duke of Shadows (maybe it was the long separation that had everyone hanging on the edge of their seats...) Anyway I read the brief description and thought the worst so I was pleasantly surprised that I liked the heroine and the hero. As usual MD books are well written, a good plot, great dialogue (with good humour) and some steamy intimate scenes but the heroine was endearing and the rascal hero won over, just like I was won over by this book. Give it a go, it was defintely worth it. If I could I'd give this 4.5 stars really.

The Duke of Shadows
The Duke of Shadows
by Meredith Duran
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A keeper, 4 Jan. 2012
Great read, I agree with all the reviewers here. Brilliant characters, some epic story telling in India and then in England, a bit of mystery, steamy sex scenes, what more could you want? I loved this book and ended it re-reading it! Definitely a keeper. Can't wait for more!

A Lady's Lesson in Scandal (No)
A Lady's Lesson in Scandal (No)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Mederith Duran, 4 Jan. 2012
I have to say that I'm hooked on Meredith Duran books. Some of them are better than others. I enjoyed this book but it wasn't my favourite. Nell's character was a little bit irratating at times and the hero lack-lustre. That might be just me, I do like an alfa male! Nevertheless the story is well told, the plot convincing and the characters had depth, the intimate scenes as always great. If you are new to Meredith Duran, read Duke of Shadows first but you'll enjoy all her novels and hopefully she'll keep them coming!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8