Profile for Kate Bradley > Reviews

Content by Kate Bradley

Kate Bradley

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Songmics Red Beech Office Computer Desk / Large PC Desktop / With Sliding Keyboard / Home Office Study Workstation / Computer table LCD851R

4.0 out of 5 stars it's an attractive and spacious desk with a nice finish. Worth the money, 14 Nov. 2015
This is quite a challenge to assemble because of all the parts and mechanisms, but once assembled, it's an attractive and spacious desk with a nice finish. Worth the money.

Floating shelf wall mounted 60cm wide long WALNUT wood finish. Book shelves
Floating shelf wall mounted 60cm wide long WALNUT wood finish. Book shelves
Offered by Save on Goods UK

1.0 out of 5 stars That's around £50 completely wasted and it's entirely and completely their fault for stocking ..., 14 Nov. 2015
If I could give this product 0 stars I would. Do not buy these shelves!

I ordered 2 and they both arrived completely broken - one's metal insert couldn't be removed from the shelf to put it up, and the other's was bent so it couldn't be affixed to the wall straight. I contacted Save On Goods UK to ask for a refund and they wanted me to print my own returns sticker off and pay for a return, even though the goods are - as I showed them in several photos - unusable anyway. When I said I had no access to a printer immediately, they did not try to help me in any way, and when I finally managed to return the goods just a few days late, they refused to refund the goods or make any amends, even though the shelves were unusable and I'd paid the returns money.

That's around £50 completely wasted and it's entirely and completely their fault for stocking a bad product and refusing to take responsibility for it. Do not buy these goods and preferably don't buy anything from Save On Goods UK.

Premier Housewares 4-Tier Over Door Hanging Organiser - Purple
Premier Housewares 4-Tier Over Door Hanging Organiser - Purple

3.0 out of 5 stars This item works fine, though its hanger is slightly to broad for ..., 30 Aug. 2015
This item works fine, though its hanger is slightly to broad for my doorframe, so I had to come up with a makeshift solution, and the holder bags do slump in the middle.

Home Discount Panama Bedside Chest 3 Drawer, Natural Oak
Home Discount Panama Bedside Chest 3 Drawer, Natural Oak

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, stylish and easy to assemble, 30 Aug. 2015
This item is stylish and easy to assemble. It also seems of a much better quality than other flat-pack furniture: the wood is quite thick and the runners for the shelf are sturdy. Mine sadly arrived slightly damaged, but a hassle-free exchange with the seller enabled me to get a discount which made up for the damage. Would definitely recommend this.

My Father's House: In Search of a Lost Past
My Father's House: In Search of a Lost Past

5.0 out of 5 stars My Father's House, Matthew Carr, 2 April 2014
My Father's House was an enjoyable and informative read from start to finish. It is partly a travel narrative, partly a biography of Matthew Carr's wayward father William Carr, and partly a discussion and portrait of the turbulent South American ex-colony Guyana. The narrative weaves together letters and artefacts from Bill Carr's scandalous life with vivid descriptions of Matthew Carr's trip to Guyana, on which he sought memories of his father, a complex and contradictory character. The author remembers his dad as a violent alcoholic, but faced with dramatically different representations, he is forced to reconsider the man he thought he knew, reflecting on the nature of memory and subjectivity along the way.

I knew very little about Guyana before opening this book; I probably couldn't have placed it on a world map. Now, I feel I've been on an enjoyable crash-course in Guyanese history and politics. Guyana is in a unique predicament; all of its main parties claim to be Marxist-Leninist, yet progress is hampered by corruption and poverty. As former colonisers of Guyana, whose older generations benefited from its colonisation, we in the UK really should familiarise ourselves with Guyana and the effect Europe had on its development. My Father's House is a great place to start.

My Father's House is perfectly paced, well-written and insightful, and it covers so many bases that there really aren't many people who wouldn't enjoy it.

Writing and Society: An Introduction (Key Topics in Sociolinguistics)
Writing and Society: An Introduction (Key Topics in Sociolinguistics)
by Florian Coulmas

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent linguistics guide, 17 May 2013
The sheer number of comparable textbooks and guides on sociolinguistics makes it hard to choose which to read. I'm studying an English course on which I've had to skim through many of these books, and this was one of the best. Coulmas finds a way to explain developments in language and society in a lucid and accessible way without dumbing down the content as a result. This book is particularly useful for a glimpse into how the internet has altered language (though it does not go into great depth, it does touch upon elements which other guides ignore, such as Wikileaks, the Arab Spring, the power dynamics of internet language and some pertinent comments on why people may misuse or misunderstand the internet's dangers). The chapter on the 'tyranny of writing' was also interesting, and offered a perspective on Linguistics as a discipline that I had not heard before. It may be out of date in a few years' time, but now (as it was printed in 2013), this is one of the best sociolinguistic guides I've encountered.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, 3 May 2013
I use this as my main speaker when I'm at university, and it has great sound at very loud and normal volumes. I've also used it for house parties, where it did a great job. It has to be near a plug socket but the cables are very long, so it isn't too much of a problem, and it works perfectly with my iPod and laptop. I also use it as my main clock, as it's easy to set the time and the display is clear and uncluttered. No complaints whatsoever.

House of Marley Headphones with 3 Button Mic - Exodus Harvest
House of Marley Headphones with 3 Button Mic - Exodus Harvest

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, not always comfortable, 2 Jan. 2013
I got these headphones for Christmas and they're great - they're perfect for blocking out the world and they're effortlessly stylish, woody and suedey and a nice rich brown. The sound is really good - a million miles better than any in-ear earphones I've ever had. The one disadvantage is that these are a little bit uncomfortable. They're not designed to adapt to the listener very well and the phones sit on the ears rather than over them, which means they start to feel tight and heavy after about half an hour. These are only really small things though - I'd never take them off because of the discomfort. I recommend these to anyone who wants good headphones on a budget. And apparently, they're ethically produced. I'd take that with a pinch of salt, but it adds to the attraction.

Beginning theory (third edition): An introduction to literary and cultural theory (Beginnings)
by Peter Barry

5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive and enjoyable guide, 29 Dec. 2012
This book is great - Barry's writing style is a lot more palatable than Terry Eagleton's, in my opinion, and he covers the bases of literary theory thoroughly in this guide. In the main, Barry attempts to describe each theory without bias, before providing a little evaluation of each. He covers some up-and-coming theories like Isobel Armstrong's 'new aestheticism' and eco-criticism, neither of which are covered in most other guides. I read it cover to cover and made notes - definitely valuable for English or philosophy-based courses, and at times, genuinely inspiring.

Single Key finder / Locator v3 - never lose your keys again
Single Key finder / Locator v3 - never lose your keys again
Offered by Home & Travel

2.0 out of 5 stars Not practical, 17 Oct. 2012
I thought this would be a good idea because I frequently lose my keys, but it was a waste of money for me. You have to be standing near to the keys to activate the sound, and if you've lost them, this is impractical - you may as well search manually. Also, I found that the alarm randomly activated sometimes if you pressed too hard on it, leading to irritating bursts of beeping when I reached into my pocket. Perhaps mine was faulty, but that is something to take into account if you're considering buying this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3