Profile for E. Jackson > Reviews

Content by E. Jackson

E. Jackson "Climb by bike fan" (Edinburgh)

Alpe d'Huez: The Story of Pro Cycling's Greatest Climb
Alpe d'Huez: The Story of Pro Cycling's Greatest Climb
by Peter Cossins

3.0 out of 5 stars A heck of a climb, 25 Nov. 2015
I must admit to being a cycling fanatic and love all the detail in this book. I was drawn to it because of the epic battles that have taken place on this climb and I've climbed it myself although not at the same speed!

The content of the book is good, but I found the style hard to deal with. The writing does not flow as much as I'd like and the way that the epic 1976 duel is split over many chapters is a little annoying, to me anyway.

So, I'd say it's a matter of opinion for the reader whether you'd be able to enjoy the style or not. It wasn't good for me.

Domestique: The Real-life Ups and Downs of a Tour Pro
Domestique: The Real-life Ups and Downs of a Tour Pro
by Charly Wegelius

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting concept but a little dull, 18 Dec. 2013
Well I am a bit of a cycle racing fanatic and have read many of the books around on the subject. This one is from the perspective of one of the strong men of the peloton and I thought would give an insight into the inner workings of the engine of the team - the domestique.
I think Charly painted a good picture of what life is like as a professional bike rider with all its ups and downs. He wrote about how hard life is during training, living away from home and travelling to races. It was interesting to hear about this stuff but he provided very little insight into the effort spent during the races themselves. He described his life as a young man away from home living in squalid flats trying to compete and make a living at one of the hardest sports in the world. He always seemed to feel sorry for himself and showed very little joy in his chosen occupation. The stories he told were interesting but there are no new revelations in here. I realise that he spent most of his time on the bike either training or racing so had little time to have a life off the bike. It's not easy to describe the 'feeling' of riding/racing, the fatigue or the joys of the sport but if anyone could then someone of his talent and experience should have the raw material to hand to at least try.

If you are new to the sport then this book is not for you. If, like me, you love all things cycling related then it's worth a read but don't expect any new insights: Di Luca was a spoilt brat, the peloton took drugs, some italians act like Prima Donnas etc...

Tour Climbs: The complete guide to every mountain stage on the Tour de France
Tour Climbs: The complete guide to every mountain stage on the Tour de France
by Chris Sidwells

1.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, 29 July 2008
Being a cycle racing fan, I was really looking forward to a 'complete guide' to all of the climbs used in the tdf. Sadly this book does not deliver on this claim. The previous reviews have mentioned the many pitfalls of the book - poor grammar and spelling (spelling Millar with an e is unforgiveable), useless maps, uninspiring photos and limited information.
Perhaps the author bit off more than he could chew with this one. I was hoping for more information: climb profiles, fastest ascent by a tour rider, lists of tour riders gaining points on the climbs in each tour (for the anorak in me) to name but a few.
Oh, and there's no mention of climbing the Col d'Aubisque from Laruns (note spelling - it's not Larruns).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2008 1:22 PM BST