Profile for matt1984 > Reviews

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
by Susan Cain

5.0 out of 5 stars Quietly Impressed, 15 Aug. 2013
If you're an introvert but not really comfortable with the label, this book could be for you. Quiet shows you why introverts matter in a world that's often dominated by our extrovert friends.

It's the first book I've read on introversion, and I plan to read more if they exist. It made me feel much better about who I am and realise that it's OK to stay at home several nights a week or turn down the occasional party.

I especially enjoyed the chapter on work, and now I see why I'm constantly trying to escape our open-plan office and work out of coffee shops or from home.

My only criticism is that it feels like Quiet loses its way a bit towards the end. I was enjoying its well-researched arguments for why introverts matter in our society. But then it suddenly became a bit "self-helpy" with relationship advice and tips on how to bring up your kids.

Nothing wrong with that, but I was kind of hoping that the arguments would continue to pile up on top of each other until they reached some massive conclusion. Maybe that's an extrovert ideal?

Anyway, this book is highly recommended. It will be a confidence boost to anyone whose self-esteem has taken a knock over the years for being quiet. It might even change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great board in a nice colour, 5 May 2012
Brighton Skateboards - Retro Plastic Cruiser Blue / White Wheels

I ordered this board in blue and white from Brighton Skateboards after comparing some similar products online. It didn't disappoint. The quality is excellent, it's really nice to ride and looks great in this colourway. Recommended!

Murray Street
Murray Street

5.0 out of 5 stars Murray Street rocks, 5 July 2002
This review is from: Murray Street (Audio CD)
Sonic Youth have managed to re-define themselves with Murray Street. The songs are peaceful and hypnotic, and I've found myself listening to this record a lot before going to sleep. In fact, I think it's one of my favourite records by them, right up there with the swirly, punky guitars of Daydream Nation.
Standout tracks for me are Lee's excellent 'Karen Revisited', which touches on psychedelia and has an excellent breakdown at the end, managing to sound both disturbing and beautiful at the same time. Also a standout is the Kim-song, 'Sympathy For The Strawberry', which shows us a different style of her music (harking back to maybe Evol's 'Shadow of a Doubt'). This contrasts nicely with her more punky 'Plastic Sun' earlier on the album. 'Radical Adults Lick Godhead Style' penned by Thurston is also excellent, along with the all of the tracks really.
All in all I think this is one of their most coherent albums and one I would recommend to both Youth and non-Youth fans alike.