Profile for LoneHermetic > Reviews

Content by LoneHermetic

LoneHermetic "moonjuice" (malkuth)

Amazon Autopilot: How to Start an Online Bookselling Business with Fulfillment by Amazon (Fba), and Let Them Do the Work
by Peter Valley

4.0 out of 5 stars I hope too many people don't read it :-), 31 Aug. 2015
Not so many people know about FBA in the UK. Far less how to use it properly. This book is the best overall summary of everything you need to get started and make things work. There are real pricing and inventory sourcing strategies that will work.

I see some of the Amazon.com reviews complain about how its not 'advanced'. I make no claims whatsoever to be an FBA expert but even I can work out that if you're at the level where youre looking to do ore advanced product sourcing or private labelling/ wholesale then you have no business reading a general guide. You should know that you need at the very least to read a specific book on wole sale importing. Most probably those won't even help as what really counts when you step things up is developing the right business relationships and having more capital and purchasing power. So i'm very suspicious of people read a book like this one and then claim its 'not advanced'. Of course its not : 'advanced general' books don't exist. The closest i've come to it Joe Waynick's book advanced bookselling strategies. And that's for a very specific product- books.

Next people claiming that you can find all this info 'for free' on forums etc. Well a lot of it i'd never been able to find before. At least to written down so clearly and understandably. I'd rather pay the money than spend hours upon hours searching these forums 'for free'.

Finally there are complaints that there's not enough on product sourcing. Again - going further than what is outlined in this book is an advanced topic. More to the point, the product sourcing opportunities in your state/country will differ. After you get experience with the methods he outlines you will be able to start developing your own ways to source products.

Why Materialism Is Baloney: How true skeptics know there is no death and fathom answers to life, the universe, and everything
by Bernardo Kastrup

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheeky Title, serious content, 6 Jan. 2015
This will likely need more than 1 read - or to be read slowly. Not because the language style is obscure. On the contrary it is clear and down to earth. Neither is it because the subject is, in itself 'complex'. As Kastrup strives to emphasize, the issue is really quite simple once you get down to it. The difficulty comes from the degree of mental conditioning in materialism we have all undergone. And, unless you have been living most of your life in a remote rainforest we have ALL undergone this conditioning - even people who profess to be religious.

It takes a book of this length to unpick the logical inconsistencies and circular reasoning we have been taught to accept. That's the real difficulty - unpicking this conditioning and also coming face to face with the fact that HAVE been conditioned.. Which is never easy. That said the book is not implying a 'conspiracy theory' of any kind. The conditioning is far more subtle than that.

And it is quite startling that these inconsistencies have have largely caught out even those people who pride themselves on a grasp of critical thinking. Which leads to to ask some questions about what is currently being billed as 'critical thinking' in the UK and USA

If you have largely accepted materialism by default as 'the way things seem to be' without attaching any great sense of enthusiasm of self worth to that position then this book is for you. It could genuinely give you a new perspective - one that is still anchored in rationality.

If you are a card carrying materialist who believes materialism and science are the same thing then this book is even more needed by you. Sadly its unlikely you will read it because you will be too busy listening to Sam Harris, Steven Novella and other acolytes of materialism. For me its helped me realise the degree to which many of the people currently calling themselves 'skeptics' are first and foremost 'true believers' in materialism.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2016 11:02 PM GMT

Becoming Magic: A Course in Manifesting an Exceptional Life (Book 1)
Becoming Magic: A Course in Manifesting an Exceptional Life (Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars You could do worse as a book to get you going. More effective starter methods around though-, 25 Aug. 2014
Not a bad introduction to the topic. If you really did what she advises - and really got into the right mindset you would likely see some serious changes in your life. The explanation of the problem with the way many people interpret 'thoughts become things' is worth noting. Its about systematically getting your entire mindset into the right place.

That said, I don't think the basic methods she outlines in this book are the MOST effective for a beginner. Although broadly along the same principles, the Abraham Grid method is a much more systematic way of powerfully transforming your entire feeling state quickly. If you are like me and find that the whole Abraham-Esther Hicks show boat leaves you with a slightly bad taste in your mouth then you could simply follow the free method below:

This method doesn't even require that you believe there is anything to the whole LOA stuff. Simply that you reserve judgement and experiment with the method for a while. I do wish the whole Abraham thing hadn't got sidelined with channelled entities and expensive cruises- and we had kept strictly to the methods pure and simple. Which is why I prefer the anonymous format of this book - I just don't think it has the MOST effective method to really get you going. Writing positive things in a journal and setting noble intentions to 'take responsibility for your life' is nice. However systematically rooting out what is bothering you and deliberately shifting those feeling states little by little is more potent and you are likely to find the process stops feeling 'fake' MUCH sooner.

But whatever gets you there. My experience with this stuff is its certainly not necessary to buy into some solipsist philosophy that the entire world is a projection of your mind state. In this book - having said that she doesn't do theory of how it works she ends up going dangerously close to this philosophy - as do many LOA people simply by not taking responsibility for the implications of what they suggest. Trying to 'brainwash' yourself into the belief that you are powerful and able to modify reality in order to make things work may not be very sensible ultimately. Just concentrate on shifting your feeling state and see what happens. I have no problem with someone stating out with 'its positive thinking causing you to start taking the right actions. If you do this stuff with any consistency you will find it stretches the credibility of that theory more than a bit though.

I've even done a few experiments that suggest it may well be possible to perform 'magic' mechanically - ie perform an operation whilst believing quite strongly that what you're doing WON'T work and still get a result. In other words there are methods that DON'T just rely on 'intention/feeling state'. So who knows?....don't get dogmatic

One thing that does appear to be true that another reviewer didn't like is that it takes time and isn't always easy. Speaking as a properly conditioned solipsist they complain 'if you think it will be difficult then it will.' Well believing that completing a physics degree will be easy will not make you finish it in a weekend - it will likely still take 4 years. Same it seems with shifting your overall 'vibrational state/set point/call it what you will'. In most people it takes some time and effort to de-condition themselves from existing resistant mental patterns. - but before long its harmonious, joyfull and aligned effort. a game...

And that's why I still recommend this book - because the message to keep it a game, and adventure.

To-Do List Makeover: A Simple Guide to Getting the Important Things Done (Productive Habits Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually pretty Helpful & realistic. Better than many of the 'big name' productivity people out there., 8 July 2014
I didn't start of with great expectations of this having read a few cheap kindle books on this subject which weren't that great and the intor on this didn't start out that inspiring. I Also read about the Getting things done GTD system and had found it to be over fussy and not realistic for my working style.

This, by contrast is a simple and practical task management approach. Even some of the tips on motivating yourself to actually get the stuff done helped give me another angle on it (whereas as before i've mostly seen self help platitudes and generalities in these kind of books). And i've actually begun to implement the weekly planning session - which is one of the major strengths of the book. This method of planning for the week is explained very well and is very effective.

He mentioned the book 'small habits' and w the idea of starting habits as small as possible and then building them up to avod motivation and willpower problems is first rate. personally i\ve found that book to be a little wordy and top heavy on theory. I'd definitely recommend anyone checking out BJ Fogg's free tiny habits program. Google it (i'm not getting a commission for mentioning it! :-)

I believe BJ Fogg is the guy who's developed the absolute best way for developing habits generally. Its blown anything else out of the water for me by 300%. However the methods in this book are very adaptable to the Tiny Habits method.

I Ching Coin, bronze (single coin)
I Ching Coin, bronze (single coin)
Offered by The Chinese Gift Shop

2.0 out of 5 stars different images on one of the coins, 13 April 2014
This review is from: I Ching Coin, bronze (single coin)
I brought 3 of them as is traditional. I found that one of them had a slightly different design on the yang side of the coin. As far as i'm aware this was not made clear. If I buy 3 of an item I would expect them to all be the same. It means I don't feel really feel comfortable using them with the I Ching.

The Early To Rise Experience: Learn To Rise Early in 30 Days (Early To Rise Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars will doubtless be right for some - I couldn't even finish the book it annoyed me so much, 4 Sept. 2013
I can see this book may well work very well for some people hence me giving it an average score. But I didn't get far into before I got too fed up with the constant self righteous Christian proclamations and the repeated assumptions about why I was wanting to get up early and who I was (I never realised I was an average American who lives in the suburbs, works too much at their job and has a familly)

I might be a Buddhist or a Wiccan or a black magician - Its has nothing to do with getting up early so I wouldn't keep shoving it down peoples' throats. Nothing against Christians I just found it very distracting, alienating and irrelevant to the purpose of the book. When the author wasn't going on about their Christianity they spend pages and pages labouring a point that could have been expressed in a sentence. This really pushed the self righteous tone beyond what I was willing to endure.

I also didn't like the idea of having to read emails as the first thing I did when getting up as part of the programme. Having this guys motivational gushing as the first thing I encountered in the morning was more likely to give me blood pressure. I know from experience that going straight to the computer in the morning is deadly - even if you intend to just look at one thing it can suck you in. not the kind of temptation you need when trying to build the first stages of a productive morning routine.

I'm sure this is much better aimed at the American market. For myself I am trying "Become an Early Riser - Learn How to Rise Early With Ease" by emily hart and feel I can tolerate the style of this enough to actually get to the method.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2013 5:32 PM BST

Rikomagic MK802IIIS Bluetooth Mini TV Box Player Dual Core Rockchip 3066 Android 4.1, Quad- Core 2D/3D1.1 GPU, 1GB DDR3, 8GB NAND Flash, Cortex-A9, Support Soft Turn Off **2013 Latest Version
Offered by DTV Europe

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings, 20 May 2013
This device was a little bit of an eye opener for me into the world of these 'micro PC's'. As I have now found out the problem with most of these devices is that the wifi connection seems to be pretty crap due to bad positioning of the wifi antenna. Go on the Rikomagic forums and you will find stories of people breaking the case open and attaching a piece of paper to it in order to get a decent wifi signal! A more stable option is to buy an ethernet to usb adaptor and use an ethernet cable to connect up the device. I've ordered one and will update if it works. The instruction manual is written in some of the worst pigeon English I have yet come across - again something which always causes me to have little faith in a company- as well as meaning the manual is of no help in troubleshooting.

Otherwise the device functions pretty well and does what I want it to do - which is run the netflix app and a few other apps. It just makes me wonder - if people on a forum can diagnose and solve the wifi problem why couldn't the company who manufactures this? It gives me very little confidence in the product- and whether I am going to come in one day and find the device setting fire to the living room.

summary - its a cheap device and that age old law that you get what you pay for applies here - but if you can get past this and are willing to spend some time fiddling around with the wifi - and are willing to accept that the device may well fail in the near future - then it may be a price worth paying. I'm not quite sure how I feel just now
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2013 7:22 PM BST

How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World: A Short History of Modern Delusions
How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World: A Short History of Modern Delusions
by Francis Wheen

4.0 out of 5 stars WHEEN THE TEASE, 25 Feb. 2005
And here comes Mr wheen again to taunt us all. As reviews here and elsewhere show he has suceeded admirably in his intention of offending nearly everyone. Its an interesting excercise to look at an indignant review and try to work out exactly which slaughtered 'sacred cow' has particularly got that writer's knickers in a twist.

It is fair criticism that there are plenty of holes in Wheen's argument: Indeed Wheen's world does seem to start and end with the enlightenment. Whilst his treatment of the postmdernism is quite interesting his coverage of slef-help & psychotherapy is particularly shallow. Overall there is a lack of sympathy and empathy for the reasons why people might cling to simplistic beliefs in the face of modern confusion and loneliness- and I find this a common characteristic of many skeptical Atheists.

Personally I do not follow Wheen in his belief in the ability of 'the enlightenment' to save us. The familiar call that the englightenment is under threat and primitive darknes is coming back reminds me of Fundamnetalist
Christians who claim that a satanic cult is taking over the world. The fact that their own ideology may simply be failing to address current problems or simply loosing its power is not accepted. My own take is that what Enlightenment proponents see as a growing irrationality is actually a reaction against western society being balanced too much in favour of hard logic above all else. The resulting effluence of 'new age' spirituality is the result of that imbalance. In time the equilibrium may settle down to a healthier state if we don't all kill ourselves before then.

Wheen's book does not aim to be comprehensive or complete. Note its subtitle 'a SHORT history of modern delusions'. In the tradition of Jonathan Swift and Charles Mackay its primary purpose is a concentrated burst of pamphleteering polemic to startle people out of their various complacencies. It is as partisan and prejudiced as any Michael Moore Book but infinitely better written and more illuminating.