Profile for David I. Howells > Reviews

Content by David I. Howells

David I. Howells "outlawcatcher" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
LifeProof Waterproof Anti-Shock Case/Cover for Apple iPhone 7 - Black
LifeProof Waterproof Anti-Shock Case/Cover for Apple iPhone 7 - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great case!, 19 Feb. 2017
I love Lifeproof products. This is my 3rd iPhone case. I buy them because I work in the outdoor industry and I need something really robust and waterproof to use up mountains and in/on/under water. Lifeproof cases are the only case manufacturer to fit all of my needs...or nearly! I will say from the onset that each case I have had, including this one, has never let me down with toughness or waterproof wise. I have also been satisfied with how they work in the case touch screen wise. I have had full functionality with all three cases.
Now I literally take these phone cases up the mountains and keep it in my pocket so it is at hand at all times and it gets exposed to all the elements. Worse when I am in the water I have it available in my buoyancy aid and keep it there whilst I am coast steering, gorge walking, kayaking and canoeing. I mean I get totally immersed in waster and often it is pressured water from rapids or waterfalls. Not one of the cases has let water in (I do do the water test on buying). This is a fantastic tribute to the waterproofness of this and my previous cases!
The down side - well the mute button tends to go on them, not on this one but it did on my i4 and i6 case. I am being ultra careful with the mute button on this one and I will update my review if it breaks.
Secondly is the ability to secure it to something. As you have heard above the cases are fantastically tough. In this environment however if you drop the damn thing then you have lost your precious phone. The iPhone 4 case had a solid but really small eyelet at the bottom that I could squeeze through 2mm cord, knot it and I could then clip it to a receiving line on my buoyancy aid...brilliant. I got to the stage I could use my phone on the water at all times (you just have to with clients/shuttles etc) and I was even confident enough with it to just let it hang from my BA. The eyelets were that solid.
Now...the Lifeproof 6 case did not have this function. A major drawback not just for me but for anybody who wanted to use this case in the outdoor environment as there was not way to secure it. When I had the i6 case my phone was resigned to my bag...which I disliked intensely. Now we have the life proof 7 case and guess what it is back 'but' it is not as robust as the i4 case. The eyelet is only secured when you close the case completely. One half makes a seal on the other half so to speak but I am only half convinced with it...and losing a £500+ phone is not an option for me (again!).
For me the outdoor industry and outdoor environment as a whole is a great place to take your phone as your device is now the main source of photos now and for us professionals it is our emergency lifeline and an indispensable tool for contacting work basis and checkpoints. This case fits the bill, it is great 'but' I don't trust that eyelet....it looks to flimsy. My phone is back out on the water with me 'but' I am being really careful with it!

Religion - 50 Ideas You Really Need to Know (50 Ideas You Really Need to Know series)

4.0 out of 5 stars God is dead...maybe!, 18 Dec. 2016
I have read quite a lot on the history of philosophy but lacked an adequate perception of the differences between the world's religion, sects and cults. What I liked about this book was that it covered all of the world's religions in a succinct and mainly objective way. It gave enough information to provide an introduction or insight to each but not enough to sate one's thirst for more knowledge on the topic. I found it quite enlightening that atheism was included in a book on religion when it is clearly a construct delving into the absence of belief in such. Just like all of the 50 idea series, I found the book was well written, thoroughly readable and provided a great introduction to the topic. It does exactly what it sets out to do and is an excellent primer to those that set out to search for a deeper understanding of the world's various faiths.

How to Talk to Your Aspie (Crazy Girl in an Aspie World Book 2)
How to Talk to Your Aspie (Crazy Girl in an Aspie World Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Mirrors your Aspie, 28 Jan. 2016
I am in a very difficult overseas relationship with an aspergers lady. Fascinating but extremely taxing. With that in mind I bought this book to find out more about the condition. Whilst other books have more depth and provide a deeper account of the ins and outs of Aspergers this book was simply humorous and full of the behavioural traits that I can see in my lady. So so many things in there are true and mirror life with an aspire that I could relate to most of the content in some form or other. Don't expect explanations as to 'why' but do expect to laugh a bit. Would have given it 5* but I read it in an hour so I thought it was an expensive read. I liked it though...

LAYEN i-DOCK Bluetooth 4.1 Audio Adaptor / Receiver + Multi-Pair (Pair Two Devices!) + aptX (Superior Sound!) Stream Music Wirelessly From Your Bluetooth Device; iPod, iPhone, iPad, Smartphone, Tablet, MP3 Player, PC, Laptop to Docking Station/Stereo (Not Suitable for Cars - See Below)
Offered by LAYEN

5.0 out of 5 stars Best £25 I ever spent!, 6 May 2015
I ordered this to use with my 2nd generation Bose Wave system. My system has an iPod dock (powered) and Bose, as good as they are, were charging an astronomical £178 for a bluetooth add on unit. 'This' does exactly the same job for £25...it arrived today, I simply plugged it into the iPod dock, went into bluetooth on my iPad, found the device (only one there) and connected...it is that simple. I can now walk about the house and play whatever I want using my mini iPad or phone as a control unit. At this stage I simply cannot fault the device, the associated sound quality or the product. So much so I have bought another one to use with my docking station upstairs and might even get one for my camper van. Fantastic bit of kit Layen..well done. Best £25 I have ever spent.

Mini 300 Lumen Cree Q5 Zoomable And Focus Adjustable Led Flashlight Torch Wit
Mini 300 Lumen Cree Q5 Zoomable And Focus Adjustable Led Flashlight Torch Wit
Offered by Lily‘s eshop

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't risk a purchase both of my torches did not work!, 16 Mar. 2015
I bought two of these torches and they simply do not work. I have tried several AA batteries in each one and not a blink of light has been emitted from the both of them. They are also advertised as AA compatable torches and they don't work with any of the standard makes. I have emailed the seller and asked them to remedy the matter so will update my review with their response. However, cheap as they are they should work and if I could give no stars then I would as the basic outcome of a purchased product is that it should work and these torches do not.

Sinking The Samurai: Memories of Admiral Yi
Sinking The Samurai: Memories of Admiral Yi

5.0 out of 5 stars Nelson of the East with attitude!, 21 Jan. 2015
This book is set in Korea during the Imjin war from 1592 to 1598 between Korea and its ally China against the invading Japanese. The theme of the story revolves around the brilliant admiral Sin Yi Sun-Sin who despite being vastly outnumbered continues to tan the backsides off his Japanese foes. Despite all of the Japanese successes on land this famed and brilliant admiral just refuses to admit defeat and keeps on beating the Japanese at sea again and again, thereby restricting their re supply of men and material. The story is so remarkable...and unheard of...it is hard to believe it is true but true it is.

Admiral Yi is Korea's answer to Nelson and quite often had to fight against even greater odds and influences. Yi also had deficiencies in equipment that required him to invent one of the most remarkable inventions of the time the Kobukson or armour plated 'Turtle' ship. In fact Yi's similarities to Nelson are uncanny. Always in the thick of the action, Yi fights many battles always ending up on the winning side in brilliant fashion, he gets seriously wounded in one action early on and then dramatically looses his life in the last battle of the war leaving the whole nation grief stricken.

The story is brilliantly written with humour, humility and style but even the making of the story has a fantastic twist in it. The book is written from the transcripts of a humble Buddhist priest, priest Wonho, transcripts that had laid hidden in a temple for over four hundred years until being found by a young boy. Priest Wonho becomes a leading player in this story and the remarkable reasons why and his fantastic personal journey are amply explained in the book. The story of priest Wonho is worthy of a book in itself but what he wrote in manuscript form is now a Korean national treasure and justifiably so. If anything this is Wonho's book if anybody's but Mark Sawer has done an impeccable job in piecing together and translating this information into a vivid account of Korean history.

The book is full of history, action, battles and culture from cover to cover and it is fascinating that this is a true story from primary source material, material that has been verified as authentic. Koreans are justifiably proud of their admiral Yi and this book hardly does justice to his accomplishments and influence. I loved the book and want more on Yi's life and times and on Korean history but sadly there is very limited available in English. Go and buy the book, it's like reading about Nelson...with attitude!

*There is also a Korean film called The Admiral: Roaring Current that revolves around one of the central naval battles of the Imjin war. It's very dramatised but a good film to watch.

The legendary Admiral, Sunshin Yi (Volume 2): 만화로 다시보는 이순신 2
The legendary Admiral, Sunshin Yi (Volume 2): 만화로 다시보는 이순신 2

1.0 out of 5 stars Not in English as advertised...., 19 Jan. 2015
I haven't bought the book but the sample edition is in Korean....Not in English as advertised so don't buy if your expecting an English version?

The legendary Admiral, Sunshin Yi (Volume 1): 만화로 다시보는 이순신
The legendary Admiral, Sunshin Yi (Volume 1): 만화로 다시보는 이순신

1.0 out of 5 stars Not in English as advertised?...., 19 Jan. 2015
I haven't bought this book but really want a good book on Admiral Yi. I have viewed the Amazon sample of this book on here and my kindle....it's all in Korean. The product section states it's in English...so if your expecting an English book don't buy!

The Pacific (The Official HBO/Sky TV Tie-In)
The Pacific (The Official HBO/Sky TV Tie-In)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good balanced overview of the war in the Pacific., 25 Dec. 2014
I have read all of Stephen Ambrose’s books and this is the first book I have read from the Hugh Ambrose library. Whilst numerous reviewers here are critical of the bullet point style of writing I quite liked it and can see why it was adapted for this book. I think it was the only way to follow four or five different personalities through a variety of different locations in different branches of the US services through the war in the Pacific. That being said I found that Ambrose junior’s style of writing did not match up to Ambrose senior. It’s not that I think that the book was poorly written, far from it, it is just that Ambrose senior is a hard act to follow.

The book itself, well it was the inspiration behind the HBO series THE PACIFIC and as such highlights the brutality and horror that was characteristic of the whole campaign. The book illuminates the war service of legendary marines such as EB Sledge and John Basilone, the inhumanity of being a POW of the IJA and the air war over the Pacific. In the main however the book covers the island campaigns of the marines as they traverse the Pacific covering the intense fighting on Guadalcanal, Peleliu, Iwo Jima and Okinawa. The witness accounts of the dehumanising brutality displayed by both sides and the animal hatred that the marines had for their enemy reverberates throughout the whole book. In between the temporary lapses in the fighting the book describes what it is like to live under constant fear, fatigue and filth. The struggle of simply living in any of the combat zones sounds utterly debilitating.

The book in reality is a series of true life accounts involving the unimaginable horror that these brave US marines faced in their amphibious campaigns from one end of the Pacific to the other and how they raised to the occasion. These battles are what transformed the marines into a world class fighting unit…and justifiably so. The book loses a star as I feel it is simply not as well written as others on the subject but it still is an enthralling multi personality portrayal about courageous American servicemen struggling to stay alive in the horrific island battles of WW2.

America's Deadliest Export: Democracy - The Truth about US Foreign Policy and Everything Else

4.0 out of 5 stars Wars & subversion..., 30 Oct. 2014
A radical but very biased account of what American foreign policy has achieved since the end of WW2. An account of how America has shamefully invaded, bombed or overthrown literally any country that has dared to display an alternative or not pay homage to its capitalist form of democracy. At the same it has built up the biggest network of world wide military basis in history, contravened conventions on torture and been involved in more indiscriminate or subversive killings than you can shake a stick at. It provokes the question 'are we really the good guys?' Shamefully I fear the UK is as culpable as the U.S.!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11