Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Cloud Drive Photos DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Hayley > Reviews

Content by Hayley

Hayley (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Wii Fit Plus - Game Only (Wii)
Wii Fit Plus - Game Only (Wii)
Offered by Hauseinkauf

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 4 Jan. 2015
Love this game! It has everything the old wii fit has plus a few extras to stop things from getting boring. The obstacle course is a big hit in our house.

Retro Sweets Mega Gift Box: Jam Packed With Over 60 of the Best Retro Sweets. Perfect Birthday Gift, Get Well Soon, Congratulations or Anniversary Present Ideas For Him and Her: Boys & Girls, Mums & Dads, Men & Women Of All Ages.
Offered by AQO

4.0 out of 5 stars Good box of sweets, 4 Jan. 2015
Sent as a gift and was as described. It was packed well and no loose sweets (as was described in another review). My only problem was that there was a sticker on the box basically saying what the present was and seeing as this was meant to be a gift it would have been nice if the box was just plain.

3 Tier Beech Finish Wooden Bookcase Three Shelf Storage Unit 79.5 x 30 x 23.5cm
3 Tier Beech Finish Wooden Bookcase Three Shelf Storage Unit 79.5 x 30 x 23.5cm
Offered by worldofbargain888

5.0 out of 5 stars the shelves don't feel too sturdy but it hasn't broken and we're using it to ..., 24 Nov. 2014
Does what it says on the tin, the shelves don't feel too sturdy but it hasn't broken and we're using it to hold heavy textbooks

Chilton Fleece Round Crown Hat & Glove Set Grey (b914gry)
Chilton Fleece Round Crown Hat & Glove Set Grey (b914gry)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Nov. 2014
Arrived quickly and they're lovely and soft

Blood, Sweat and Tea: Real Life Adventures in an Inner-city Ambulance
Blood, Sweat and Tea: Real Life Adventures in an Inner-city Ambulance

5.0 out of 5 stars Never going to work in an ambulance... ever, 11 Oct. 2013
I should start off by pointing out that this book is basically a collection of blog posts from the blog 'Random Acts of Reality' which is no longer updated as the author no longer works for the ambulance service full time and has moved onto other things.

As you can probably tell from the rating, this is one of those books I truly enjoyed. Ok, I read it over a couple of weeks during the breaks between lectures when I had nothing better to do but just because I didn't get so sucked in I couldn't put the book down it doesn't mean this book wasn't gripping. The blog post type format made it easy to find a place to stop as the stories weren't really related so you're not compelled to turn the page to find out about what happened to the person you were just reading about.

This one can get a bit depressing at times, nobody thinks reading about sick children and dying patients is fun and games but there's enough humour (sometimes quite dark humour) to offset this. Oh, and reading about some of the reasons people call out the emergency services can make you lose a little bit of faith in humanity (I don't seem to be conveying how much I enjoyed the book very well here) but all those moments are worth it just to read the descriptions of traffic dodging and the weird panicky things people seem to do when they hear a siren.

I'm Nobody: The Lost Pages
I'm Nobody: The Lost Pages

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to lose yourself in, 11 Oct. 2013
I know this wouldn't typically be classed as a book for adults but it's well worth a read. Ok, it's a bit odd, a long dead poet apparently sending a young boy letters but I think most people can relate to the book in a way. It shows us how a single person can touch so many lives and that with the help of others we can overcome obstacles and even our greatest fears can end up not being that great after all.

In this book we face the effects of grief and how it can damage a family and a person's mental health, we also see how friendship can blossom from the strangest of beginnings. I really can't say much more without giving away spoilers as `I'm Nobody' is a short book (I have no idea how the author manage to pack so much into it).

This is another of those books I'd recommend to pretty much anybody, young or old, I particularly recommend it to those who feel alone in the world as her we're offered a wonderful perspective on those the world view as strange and alone.

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat: Picador Classic
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat: Picador Classic

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 11 Oct. 2013
This is an interesting collection of one man's experiences with patients with various neurological disorders. Some of them happen to be quite humorous while others are simply stories of interest to those who are interested in human behaviour. I would love to give it a higher star writing but I felt that some of the editing was below par with a few of the sentences not making complete sense (yes I know I have that problem too but I don't have an editor!). Also sometimes Sacks uses terms which somebody with no previous experience of psychology may struggle to understand without a quick google though I do admit most of the time you can just skim over the term without understanding it as the detail would only be of interest to somebody with an interest in psychology, if you're just reading the collection for some unusual real life stories then you won't really lose anything by just skipping over it, I'd recommend doing the same for some of the explanations of the disorders as again they can be a bit confusing for somebody who hasn't really looked into psychology before though some of Sacks' explanations and theories are really quite interesting.

Second Chance
Second Chance

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 11 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Second Chance (Kindle Edition)
The novel starts off quite well, it seems like the standard mystery that I expected from reading the blurb, mysterious patient deaths, a suicide and possible someone behind it all. Later things started getting a bit more unusual, more like sci-fi than mystery which I can live with, plenty of authors manage to blend the two dramas together nicely but it didn't feel quite right here. I struggled to do the whole suspension of disbelief thing as the universe didn't seem to follow it's own rules. I mean a character can be shot, be in serious pain and a few chapters later (and the whole book only seems to span a week or so) the same character can be in a fight with the pain from the injury and even the injury itself not even being mentioned. The story itself had a lot of promise and the characters themselves appeared to be consistent it's just the little niggles where the author doesn't follow the rules of the universe the characters live in made it a bit difficult for me to enjoy the book.

Zephyr I
Zephyr I

4.0 out of 5 stars A superhero book for grown ups, 28 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Zephyr I (Kindle Edition)
Finally a superhero story for grown ups! There's the super powers, the villains, the slightly ambiguous in betweens (I'm having to really try to avoid spoilers in this review). We get to see our hero Zephyr deal with the press and trying to keep his normal identity secret which isn't something comics really touch on too much. Warren Hately also manages to include all the battles and plots that comic readers tend to love, there seems to be something going on around every corner, I really feel for the poor normal people living in that world who have to deal with all the supercharged criminals without any powers of their own.

There's a fair bit of adult content in this, well I'm not sure how to describe it, novel? comic? so even though it's great and at certain points quite witty writing I would avoid letting children or anyone a bit on the prudish side read it.

The idea that Zephyr is a veteran in the superhero world at just 35 is quite an interesting point, especially in the youth obsessed world we live in ourselves where older celebrities tend to get less press. Though really it's more likely that he's a veteran because of how dangerous the superhero world is, I mean how many of us would survive in a world where people can control pretty much any element I could easily see myself accidentally injuring myself with my own powers if they were decent ones.

Anyway to cut away from the weird rambling in the last paragraph I'm seriously recommending this book to someone who likes the whole superhero thing, you don't even have to be the greatest fan. I've never read a `proper comic' and most of my superhero experience comes from films like The incredibles or Batman and I really enjoyed this book.

The Caregiver (Book 1 of The Caregiver Series)
The Caregiver (Book 1 of The Caregiver Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars I want to read the next one!, 25 Sept. 2013
This book deals with more violence than the average crime novel with a female protagonist Scarlett isn't an investigator really she's more of a hit-man (hit-woman?) which made a nice change. There's not really an overly complicated plot or loads of detail for the reader to get bogged down in which makes it a nice light read, easily readable in an hour or two.

I did have a couple of issues believing that the book was set in London though, it felt a lot more like some of the American cities I've read about. I'm not sure if it's because I'm more familiar with London than cities in the U.S. so it's harder for me to just go with the flow of the plot or something along those lines. I felt that maybe there was a bit too much gun crime going on, normally you read of more stabbings than gun crime in the papers so that didn't really feel right with me. There also weren't many landmarks mentioned so you could easily have been in any generic city.

Anyway despite that little niggle I still found the book enjoyable, it was good for a quick read. I might even end up reading the sequel to learn more about Scarlett's past as I don't think we learnt enough about it in this book, I love to know what motivates a character when I'm reading but I appreciate that because this book is a rather short one an in-depth run down of Scarlett's history would have felt out of place and slowed down plot development massively.

I would quite happily recommend this book to anybody who wants a short, fast paced thriller or somebody who fancies a break from traditional romance novels.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5