Profile for Jon B > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Anus [Explicit]
Anus [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite. Album. Queen. Person., 4 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Anus [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Best album I've bought all year. Absolutely fabulous. Funny, intelligent and seductive. Just like Alaska. Not just a novelty drag act album, this is sheer brilliance and deserves a wider audience. The videos for several of the songs are online and best viewed in HD.
Should easily have won RuPaul.... rooting for her to take the All Star II Crown that is so rightfully hers.

Beauty Marked
Beauty Marked

5.0 out of 5 stars Polished, addictive, CLASS., 4 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Beauty Marked (MP3 Download)
Like several other alumni of RuPaul's Drag Race, Miss Fame (aka Kurtis Dam-Mikkelsen) has turned out a full album. Sadly no physical CD exists, as I actually like to have a physical copy. This album is a perfect companion to Alaska Thunderfuck's "Anus", which, like this, gets 5 stars in my book.
Not just novelty records or a bit of froth, these are superb albums that are charming, fun, and perfectly constructed. The song writing is wonderful, the production and performance faultless. There is nothing "filler" on here - every track is catchy, classy and as perfect as Miss Fame herself. Kurtis is a very talented make-up artist, drag queen and all-round lovely man. This showcase's another classy string to his bow. Hopefully not the last time we will hear from Miss Fame in her musical career.

Frank Zappa - Freak Jazz, Movie Madness & Another Mothers [DVD] [NTSC]
Frank Zappa - Freak Jazz, Movie Madness & Another Mothers [DVD] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Frank Zappa

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations. Loved it., 19 Jan. 2015
Was totally engrossed by this. The first ten minutes I was a bit wary, thinking "oh no.. it's one of those unauthorised biopics with no original material"... but it isn't. Sure, there isn't a LOT of Zappa, but there are musical excerpts from all the works mentioned (irritatingly visualised with borrowed nonsense from other sources, which I could have done without). There are good interview snippets from most of the main players from the period. And there is a very thorough historical retelling of events from the period that was neither rushed nor overly long. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable documentary about this particular episode in Frank's creative life that made me want to go back and listen to all those albums again. Even if the puerile antics of Flo & Eddie were not your thing, this makes for a darned good documentary. And I miss FZ so much. :(

This is My Hand
This is My Hand

5.0 out of 5 stars A total Diamond., 15 Sept. 2014
This review is from: This is My Hand (Audio CD)
Shara Worden is indeed a Diamond. Rare and powerfully beautiful. Each of her projects has a colour and flavour of its own. And each is incredibly wonderful. 2014 sees her totally on top of her game - in fact she's mining that rare seam, that purple patch of a talent in full flow.
She nails it on this album. From the song-writing, to the performance, to the production. It is a total treat. Such a shame that most people won't ever get to know this even exists. But for those that do, you are the lucky few.

The "None More Than You" EP from earlier in the summer was my favourite work of hers up to this point, even eclipsing the amazing Tear It Down remix album. But this tour de force takes everything up a gear. I do hope more people get to hear this extraordinary thing of exquisite beauty, but if not... then I am so glad I came across her work eight years ago.

Pokémon X (Nintendo 3DS)
Pokémon X (Nintendo 3DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW...., 14 Oct. 2013
I'm writing a review as an excuse to tear myself away from this thing. It's frighteningly addictive. I've played it for 38 hours since I got it just 2 and a half days ago.
I've been totally addicted to Pokemon since 1st generation (I collect all manner of poke-junk, especially Zukan figures, and have thrown thousands at the cards down the years). I was ALMOST of a mind not to get this generation, because it meant buying yet another DS (this time a 3DS XL) just to play it on.... but thankfully I did.
I am seriously impressed with most of this. The main plus is the look of it. It looks just stunning, especially in 3D on an XL. Old pokemon literally come alive (Mr Mime is amazing!). The new pokemon are a mixed bag. Some great (the water starter 2nd evo), some truly awful (Binacle and that bunny with the fists on its ears). The game play is basically... erm.... "familiar". Same old story, just tweaked for the new generation. They always stick to it, every generation. But that's ok. Because it works. There are SO MANY pokemon available in this... I'm only on my 6th badge and I've already caught about 220 species?
There are a few negatives, I have to admit. The game mechanics have been dumbed down, and the worst thing is the new GTS (global trade station) where you can seek or ask for ANYTHING (you don't have to have seen it.) In theory you could camp out once you find the day-care, breed starters and GTS trade your way to a complete pokedex. The game wasn't challenging enough... this makes it less so.
I also don't like the endless "other" parts... the dressing up, dancing, mini-games, baking cup-cake, poodle-clipping silly nonsense that has become so vast and confusing... I steer clear of most of it.
Ok, I need to grab a couple of hours before I'm up again to water my berry bushes...

SORA Acrylic CD Rack with transparent back-panel
SORA Acrylic CD Rack with transparent back-panel
Offered by Sora Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as I hoped, despite my concerns, 2 Oct. 2013
Had read all the reviews about arriving broken and fiddly to assemble, so ordered two of these with a little trepidation. They arrived very swiftly, well packaged. Nothing remotely broken, all pieces present.
I like a puzzle, so putting them together was a fun challenge. Yes, it took me about 90 minutes to do the first one, mainly because I got the nuts and bolts the wrong way round and had to take it all apart again. But once I'd done one, the second one was little more than 30 minutes.
And they're beautiful. As I had hoped. Very pleased. Would recommend them, but be patient with putting them together and think logically and calmly. It's actually quite simple.

Loud Like Love
Loud Like Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally exceeded my expectations, 17 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Loud Like Love (Audio CD)
Let's face it: you either love Placebo or you don't. Brian's voice is a bit of a "marmite" voice. So if you're in the "don't" camp, you're not going to like this, and actually you won't be reading this. So this is to those with taste.
I have to say I was a little worried about this album. The lead single had that very dodgy line "on the Champs-Élysées" that just jarred with me as naive and forced. That said, I totally fell in love with the song, and then the title track, which is even better.
But what of the album? Well it's fantastic. Music critics have trashed it in the press, but so what. They know nothing. Placebo have made consistently great albums, with their signature style and sound all over them. They can't sound "different" - this IS what they sound like. And for those of us who love that, this album is a gem.
I won't critique all the songs individually, but my favourites are Rob The Bank, Loud Like Love... and Bosco, which is the best song of the year for me, and probably my favourite Placebo song of all-time. It is pure perfection. In writing. In execution. They should be so proud of it.
This is a five star album to my ears. And my second favourite album of the year after John Grant's Pale Green Ghosts. I never tire of Placebo. They are my comfort music.

Futurism, Pt. 1
Futurism, Pt. 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh how I LOVE this!, 14 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Futurism, Pt. 1 (MP3 Download)
A big fan of Abakus, and have loved all he has done up to this point. But this is possibly my favourite so far. I've listened to this dozens of times on my iPod and never tire of it. Hoping for Pt.2 to come soon.....

Yoga-Mad Fitness Mad Neo Dumbbell Pair 2 x 3Kg , Orange
Yoga-Mad Fitness Mad Neo Dumbbell Pair 2 x 3Kg , Orange

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., 14 Aug. 2012
I use these every day and find them just the right weight for me to do exercise with. Nice feel, well finished and with free delivery from Amazon, a total bargain. Thinking of investing in the 4kg ones or even the 5kg ones soon. Certainly wouldn't go lighter than this.
I'm a 46yr old male, 6', 188lbs, 32" waist in moderately good shape. Only saying that for comparison!

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Mis-sized., 26 July 2012
As with others, NOT happy. I have several old Bike Jocks, but thought a blue one would be nice. I have a 32" waist. So I got the size I always do MEDIUM (says on the packet for a 32-34" waist). It is STUPIDLY small and painfully tight. More suitable for a 28" waist! This is just ridiculous. Not sending it back, so a waste of money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5