Profile for David > Reviews

David

The Bears For Lunch
The Bears For Lunch

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the year?, 31 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Bears For Lunch (Audio CD)
I got the last 2 GBV albums, the Best of Boston Spaceships, and the Pollard solo album "Jack Sells the Cow" yesterday. Putting the solo album to one side (I have listened to it yet) and comparing it also against "Lets Go Eat the Factory" I have to say that I think "Bwars" is the best and fully deserving of 5 stars. I think "Class Clown" is the worst and only(!) gets 4 stars, with the others inbetween. There is something (I don't know what) about the guitar sound on the Boston Spaceships album that isn't quite right to me, and although it seems almost heretical to say, the tracks on "Class Clown" are too short, and often seem to be nothing more than a chorus repeated for a minute. "Lets Go" is good but doesn't actually seem so much different from the "non-classic" line-up. But "Bears" has the best mixture of heavy riffs and more melodic tunes, of which, interestingly, Sprout's seems to be the stand-out tracks. This undoubtedly helps this album to be THE classic album of the classic line-up since it was reformed.

Propellor
Propellor

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best GBV album in the world, 31 July 2012
This review is from: Propellor (Audio CD)
Like most people I first got into GBV through Bee Thousand that I saw listed among the 20 best albums of the year on Channel 4s teletext service (anyone out there still use teletext?). What's this, I thought? 20 tracks in less than 40 minutes? The low production values took a bit of getting used to but the quality of the songwriting rapidly had me hooked. Then Alien Lanes -- 28 tracks in around 40 minutes. Not quite as good as Bee Thousand, I thought, but still extremely good. Then I got an album that had Vampire on Titus followed by Propellor. Vampire on Titus was a little too quirky for its own good, but as soon as the "GBV! GBV!" chant started and the guitars started growling I knew this was the real thing. Being a fan of heavier rock this to me was probably even better than Bee Thousand. Maybe it lacks a little of that album's subtlety but makes up for it with a pure adrenaline rush. If I could only have one album this would be pushing Patti Smith's "Horses" pretty hard.

Après
Après
Offered by skyvo-direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Iggy taking himself too seriouslty, 31 July 2012
This review is from: Après (Audio CD)
I know how this is going to come across, like an Iggy fan disgruntled at not being given more of the same. Yes, I sort of admire Iggy for doing something different but I had a premonition that I was going to find this pretentious and I'm afraid that was how it turned out. Iggy has shown signs of taking himself too seriously as far back as American Caesar, and I hoped that when the way-too-serious Avenue B (3 spoken words tracks? Tell me it ain't so) flopped that would be the end of it. But no. He releases a covers album many of which are in French. Even the packaging is pretentiously weird, completely the wrong size to fit alongside my other CDs, and the fact that he has written a kind of explanation of why he is doing an album of these songs made me fear the worst.

Iggy is a good rock singer, but I don't think he is much of a crooner, and he seems to be singing in too low a key for most of the songs, most notably Everybody's Talking At Me which doesn't work at all. The only track I kind of like is "La Vie en Rose" which does seem to work in a weird sort of way with the almost drunken-sounding rhythm section.

If this is what Preliminaires is like I'm glad I never bought it.