Profile for Mrs. L. Miller > Reviews

Content by Mrs. L. Miller

Mrs. L. Miller "wildmiller" (UK)

Color Mixing Recipes for Portraits: More Than 500 Color Combinations for Skin, Eyes, Lips & Hair (Color Mixing Recipes)
by William F. Powell
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, 11 Jan. 2014
As a professional artist I've found this book very useful for flesh tones. I'm an intuitive painter so don't used the plastic quantity guide in the back (why complicate the process?) Some of the oil colours aren't stocked by the 'big two' (Windsor&Newton and Rowney) in the UK as many have noted, but there are other manufacturers who do make them and who's paints are available through a number of online retailers. It's certainly made a difference to my work.

Epson Perfection V37 Photo 4800 dpi scanner with ReadyScan LED technology
Epson Perfection V37 Photo 4800 dpi scanner with ReadyScan LED technology

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Description, 3 Jan. 2014
Please be aware that the description above is for the Epson V370 NOT the Epson V37. I bought this item with the intention of scanning old slides only to find that it didn't do what it said on the tin! I haven't used it, just packed up and returned so I can't vouch for how it works for normal scanning.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2015 7:12 PM GMT

Black SD Folio Case Cover Pouch with Clip-On LED Reading Lamp for Amazon Kindle 4
Offered by G-Hub

4.0 out of 5 stars Case perfect but...., 1 Jan. 2014
...the light is absolutely useless. Great value for the case alone though so worth buying,especially as the 'official' Kindle cases are so expensive.

Destination Spanish with Paul Noble
Destination Spanish with Paul Noble
by Paul Noble
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for this over-40!, 10 Oct. 2013
Having bought both this and the Michael Thomas Start Spanish CD I must admit I find this one easier to learn from. It is very simple with only a few much repeated phrases on each CD but I have found that I remember them well and it gives me confidence to continue. PN says each phrase in English and a native Spanish woman repeats them twice in Spanish. For me this was far easier to understand than the other CD. I couldn't get past MT's sometimes thick European accent and found his students stumbling over the translations a distraction. yes this CD is simple and works on the principle of constant repetition but that's just what I need.

The Fast Diet: The Secret of Intermittent Fasting - Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer
by Dr Michael Mosley

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a diet but a way of life, 31 Dec. 2012
Book arrived this morning and I spent the next few hours reading it cover to cover. I've been following this way of eating since August and lost 20 lb so far and 6 inches off my waist. It has left me feeling both physically and and mentally healthier and so far, fingers crossed, my annual winter SAD has not materialised. There's so much information on the internet about this and similar diets (I know, I've looked!) so it's great to have it all distilled in one book and I look forward to Dr Mosley's soon-to-be-launched website dedicated to 5:2. If I had the money I would buy several copies and distribute them amongst my sceptical friends. The first half deals with the science behind fasting, the second the practicalities. There is also a chapter dedicated to the findings of people like me who have been following this 'diet' since the Horizon programme. All in all a very satisfying book. I highly recommend it, especially if, like me, you've tried diet after diet and very quickly slipped back into bad habits because you've found them unsustainable. 5 days of ordinary eating, 2 days of restricted calories. It's as simple as that.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2014 5:26 PM GMT

Colour and Light in Oils
Colour and Light in Oils
by Nicholas Verrall

4.0 out of 5 stars Sumptuous colour and light, 19 July 2006
Lovely book - so many 'How to paint' books are by so-so artists but Nicholas Verall's handling of light and colour is wonderful to see. Plenty of tips on paints, mediums, brushes and subjects and many insights into the artists' working methods. My only gripe is that the book could have done with a more detailed 'step-by-step' demonstration to illustrate the use of underpainting and complimentary colours that Verral does so well. Still a good read/insight into oil painting techniques.