Profile for Nidge > Reviews

Nidge (Leicester)

Adonit Jot Dash Fine Point Precision Stylus for iPad - Gold
Adonit Jot Dash Fine Point Precision Stylus for iPad - Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to a rubber tipped job., 25 May 2017
I have an Jot Script, but it eats batteries. So I decided to buy this as an alternative.

I do NOT use this item much for writing or drawing with though. Merely as an alternative to using a finger as a navigational device on my Ipad Air. It works well for that. No more greasy screens. Battery life is good, but charges up in no time. So battery is no longer an issue for me either.

It is turned on and off with a single press, much like using a typical ball point pen mechanism. Which allows me to click it off when I put my Ipad down. The added bonus of not being bluetooth, is that the Ipad battery lasts longer too, as Bluetooth is now disabled on it.

Might not be for the person who wants to draw or write, but, makes a dam good alternative to those fat rubber tipped non battery things you can buy. I have had loads of them, leave marks all over my screen too, just like my fingers. Unlike this little beast.

But you do have to put up with a tap tap tap on glass sound. Which I actually quite like to be honest.

MENS LADIES BOYS GIRLS BLACK CANVAS VELRO SPORTS TRIFOLD NOTES WALLET PURSE
MENS LADIES BOYS GIRLS BLACK CANVAS VELRO SPORTS TRIFOLD NOTES WALLET PURSE
Offered by B2 SHOP

5.0 out of 5 stars Just works, 25 May 2017
I purchased one of these for about a tenner, merely as a "stop gap" wallet. I have used it daily ever since, well until a couple of weeks ago. When after around 10-12 years of service, the zip on the back pocket finally gave up the ghost and broke.

After a bit of searching, I found an exact replacement. This is it. Design looked the same online, but upon arrival the label confirmed it is indeed made by the same company etc. Same in every way as my old one :-)

Delighted that that it is less than half the price of my original too. Be even more delighted if it goes the same distance as the last one managed.

This is just one of those cheap as chips items, that just works and keeps on working :-)

Anker 24W PowerDrive 2, Dual USB Car Charger with MultiProtect Safety System for Apple iPhone 6s / 6s Plus, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro, iPad mini; Samsung Galaxy Note Series, S Series & edge Models; LG G4 / G5; Google Nexus; and Other iOS and Android Devices
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Products Always., 22 July 2016
I am an Anker fan without doubt :)

Over the years I have owned quite a few Anker products, none of which have ever let me down or been a disappointment. All of which are still working today as good as they day I bought em.

Put simply, Anker make quality products, which feel quality and perform quality, forever.

This item is no exception. I actually bought three of these (one for me, the wife and the teenage son). As expected, top quality dogs parts Anker quality, but then, wouldn't have expected anything less.

Buy Anker products with confidence.

Anker Classic Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker, Powerful Sound with 20 Hour Battery Life and Built-in Microphone, works with iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Nexus, HTC, Nokia, Laptops, PC and More - Black
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Usual Anker Excellence, 20 Feb. 2016
I have owned several Anker products over the years and not one of them has been a disappointment. This speaker is no exception.

For starters it is built well (as expected) and has the feel of a good quality product. Secondly it sounds good and is plenty loud enough. Battery life is brilliant, I use it for music and podcasts for a couple of hours a day typically and charge it once a week. Not that the battery is usually flat, more just a force of habit :)

Beyond music/podcasts etc, it is also good for telephone calls too. My phone is often paired with it, even when not playing music or the likes. Simply because it amplifies text message alerts and phone ringer etc to a pretty dam loud level. Whilst it is a Bluetooth device, it is also possible to plug it into a device too. So will work find with your non Bluetooth gadgets. Anker supply a lead with the speaker for that, as well as a usb lead for charging

It may also be worth pointing out that Anker have a lot of pride in their own products, so much so, that all their products come with a 18 month guarantee as default. That kind of suggests that your buying quality if your still unsure about Anker as a company.

Buy with confidence.

Anker PowerPort 5 (40W 5-Port USB Charging Hub) + 5 Micro USB Cables Multi-Port USB Charger for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 / mini 3, Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge and More

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Anker products :), 31 Jan. 2016
I have owned quite a few Anker products over the years and it has become a brand name on my first choice list as a result.

This little charger is just what I expected from Anker, well built and great value for money. Even the packaging is beyond your usual plastic el cheapo company and more akin to that you would expect from Apple or the likes.

The five included leads are of various lengths, but of course you can use your existing USB leads with this product.

Not a lot more to say than it just works and works well. Happily charges two iPads, a kindle hd and two iPhones all at the same time. All via a nice tidy cable setup (ocd kind of thing my end, lol) and just one 13amp mains sockets required. Bliss.

Buy with confidence.

The Guardian and the Observer
The Guardian and the Observer

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken with new paperwhite, 11 Nov. 2013
As previous reviews have mentioned. The Guardian/Observer does not work with the new paperwhite.

Annoyingly for me, I have just switched back to Kindle from Kobo for pretty much one reason. Kobo's lack of news stand in the uk. Now I find I can't actually use News subscriptions on the new paperwhite that I have just purchased (they still work fine on my old Kindle keyboard of course).

It isn't the only news subscription I have tried which doesn't work either. But you really would think that News publishers would have more than enough warning from Amazon about any format changes or the likes which may need to be implemented. Then again you would think that Amazon wouldn't be brain dead enough to introduce a new gadget which would break things in the first place (do they not test things first, alpha, beta etc).

But at the very least, if things really needed to change it would have been nice to clearly warn purchasers of the new paperwhite that the device isn't currently compatible. It would (at the moment) at least allow folks to consider buying the old paperwhite instead.

/rant ;-D

Samsung BD-F6500 Smart 3D Blu-ray/DVD Player
Samsung BD-F6500 Smart 3D Blu-ray/DVD Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovefilm Freebie, 2 Nov. 2013
Lovefilm recently announced they were withdrawing their app from Samsung TV's made in 2010 (like mine) or before. Initially that was a bit of a bummer because it is a service we use quite a lot. However, soon afterwards an email came from Lovefilm containing a URL Link to this Amazon page. With the suggestion for this blueray device as a replacement.

Now when I seen the price, I had to go back and read the email from Lovefilm again. As this device was being offered for free, by just entering the included Amazon code. Now who wouldn't accept that offer. Well done to Lovefilm.

The device itself has given our aging 2010 (ROTFL) television a new lease of life. It gives an excellent quality picture via HD lead when using most of the inbuilt apps. Which are plentiful. Our old Samsung TV only provided BBC Iplayer for example, when it came to the main UK tv catch up apps. Whereas this device also has ITV player, 4OD and Demand 5 apps too. Talking of which, I seen a comment on one of the reviews that the Channel 5 app (Demand 5) isn't available. Yes it is. By default it is not shown on the "Recommended" list on the apps home page. You have to go into the app store and add/download it first.

Beyond the TV catch up channels, we use it regularly with both Lovefilm and Netflix. Both of which perform outstandingly well. The apps being much better than those which are/were available on our TV. We have also used Blinkbox with no issues. Wuaki TV, Crackle, Muzu etc are all available too. The actual OS used is much the same as that found on later (post 2010) Samsung TVs.

Network Connection: With our TV, we had to use a "dongle" to use WIFI as a method of connection. Not so with the Blueray. It has inbuilt wifi. We use that to our router, which is 20ft away with one brick cavity wall in between. It works great, despite having other wireless gadgets around. One of which is a cordless Dect phone (also on 2.4ghz), located right next to the router (lol). Should wireless be a problem, you can however use a hard wired (RJ45) connection instead.

We haven't tried the player with any Blueray dics, as we don't own any. With DVDs its just fine. In fact the list of compatible formats is quite impressive (as someone else has already pointed out). Although I think beyond Region 2 (uk) others will not work. That isn't a concern to us, as all our discs are UK purchased region 2.

Although Lovefilm deserve top marks for giving these away free to affected customers (hows that for service), I think I would have been pretty dam happy with it, had I had purchased it myself. It doesn't just perform well, it is also a pretty sleek looking unit that fits in well.

Amazon even managed to deliver it the next day (well done).

So no complaints at all.

Update: December 2014...

This unit worked flawlessly for some time. However, following some software/firmware upgrades (forced). It isn't as good as is used to be. It is still a good unit. But some apps have become quite flaky in recent times. Lovefilm (now Amazon Prime) is terrible for example. It has become almost normal to have to power down/cycle the unit (sometimes a couple of times) to get Prime to load up for example. Yet other apps like Iplayer and Netflix have no issues what so ever.

The crazy thing is, I got this unit courtesy of Lovefilm/Amazon (see above). Yet the very same unit is now most likely going to be the reason why I will not renew my prime subs when they are due. Just fed up with the poor service from their app. It is painful.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2013 3:09 PM GMT

Max Value 3.5 inch USB Hard Drive Enclosure for an IDE or SATA Hard Drive with Frustration Free Packaging

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 4 Dec. 2012
I purchased several of these to turn some old (redundant) internal IDE drives into external USB ones.

Construction of the units is good and very easy to fit the drive into? They are also come supplied with screws needed to hold your supplied drive into place. And a stand to hold the unit vertically if you prefer that to having them horizontal. One nice touch is that they have four feet on the bottom and four little dimples on the top casing to match the feet? This means if you have multiple units, they can be stacked on top of each really nicely. E.g. the feet on the bottom of one unit sit in the dimples on the top the one below etc.

There doesn't seam to be any issues with speed when reading the drives either. And mine have been quite heavily encrypted (don't think that would make much difference to the USB side). The drives just work as well as they used to when they were internally fitted.

For the price they are a nice way to utilize any old drives you might have lying around.

Garmin Speed/Cadence Sensor for Garmin Forerunner/Edge/Virb Elite/Montana/Oregon

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says?, 4 Dec. 2012
I purchased this to go with a Garmin Edge unit. And it does precisely what it is supposed to do and quite well.

However, I did have an issue with the crank magnet being to far away from the sensor. Which to resolve would then mean the sensor would be to far away from the wheel magnet. It was a simple fix though, I just used a couple of rubber washers super glued to the back of the crank magnet to "pack it out" a few extra millimeters and close the gap up. To be fair it is perhaps more down to the design of my cycle which was problematic, although it would have been nice to see Garmin include some "spacers" in the box for just such scenarios.

My only real gripe is that the main unit is held in place with cable ties (like most cycle add ons these days, sigh). You can never really get them tight enough in my opinion, no matter how much you tug and pull on the dam things? And I have already had a couple of occasions where the side of my foot has brushed the unit and moved it ever so slightly? Not enough to see or cause damage etc, but just enough to increase the gap and stop either the wheel or crank sensor working (depending which way it moves). Being a bit old school, I'd have preferred to see a nut and bolt clamp type setup instead of cable ties, as that would remove any such issues of slight movement.

One of the additional benefits is of course that it still works when my cycle is mounted in its Turbo Trainer (GPS disabled on the edge)? That is quite cool and makes indoor cycling/training experiences a bit more fun and a lot less tedious.

Overall I am more than happy with the purchase though, which was much much cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else I looked. 5 stars for value, but only 4 for the product, purely because of my pet hate for cable tie mountings.

Anker® 1600mAh Li-ion Battery For HTC Vision; HTC Desire Z, Desire S; HTC Incredible 2, Incredible S

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Battery, 4 Dec. 2012
Purchased this battery a few weeks ago now and it has proved to be an excellent performer. A great improvement over the original HTC battery which was being used (which to be fair was just starting to go downhill a bit).

Really pleased with the purchase. It is just a great product which defies the low price tag. Performance alone is worthy of 5 stars, but overall I couldn't give it anything less than 5 stars anyway, for the sheer "value for money" factor.