Profile for Deborah Taylor > Reviews

Content by Deborah Taylor

Deborah Taylor (Norfolk, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Gingerbread Man: Ladybird Tales
The Gingerbread Man: Ladybird Tales
by Ladybird

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic fun, 23 May 2011
Lovely format and well told story. This book is ideal for children who are able to cope with paper pages. Like others in the series this book has one illustrated pages opposite each page of text, giving younger children plenty to look at while listening to the story being read.

I bought one of the Ladybird Tales books for my son who loves it and like to look at the pictures of the others in the series (24 shown in the back of each book) and have been using them as rewards for his sticker chart so we can gradually build up his collection. They'd make good gifts too for a child's birthday party.

Fuzzy-Felt Series 1 Pirates
Fuzzy-Felt Series 1 Pirates

4.0 out of 5 stars Blast from my past!, 23 May 2011
This review is from: Fuzzy-Felt Series 1 Pirates (Toy)
I have fond memories of playing with Fuzzy Felt as a young child in the '70s and was disappointed that I could never find it when my older children were younger. Searching for pirate themed toys on Amazon for my pirate mad three year old I came across this pirate themed Fuzzy Felt set and thought I'd see if he would enjoy playing with it.

On opening the box we found we had to tear the individual felt pieces from larger sheets of felt as they weren't fully cut, but this was done soon enough and pieces were soon laid out on the board to make bigger pictures. Some of the shapes are not to scale with each other but this doesn't seem to be a problem for young children.

My son enjoys playing with it but it's not his favourite activity, it's a fairly simple and sedate activity and he prefers rushing around but it's nice for those quieter moments when you have five or ten minutes spare as it doesn't take any effort in setting up or packing away.

It does seem a little old fashioned compared to many toys available now but has a charm and simplicity to it which isn't often found now so makes a nice change.

Zingzillas 10 in a Box Jigsaw
Zingzillas 10 in a Box Jigsaw
Offered by Asgard Retail Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Good re-play value, 23 May 2011
My three year old son doesn't much like Zingzillas on TV yet he loves the small soft toys and was delighted to receive these jigsaws as a birthday present. He enjoys putting together the puzzles and is able to complete the smaller outer puzzles on his own, there are a range of numbers to the puzzles so children can progress from easier to harder. My son likes to have help with the larger inner puzzles although actually he is quite capable of doing these himself too. He is getting faster and faster with putting them together but doesn't bore of them - I keep the box out of reach when he has finished to keep the pieces safe yet he asks for them at least once every day, sometimes three or four times so I am very pleased with the value. So far the pieces have stood up to the demands of play but as they are made from cardboard I expect some wear and tear, they haven't been bent or misshapen while being put together unlike some puzzles.
If you know a child who like puzzles and Zingzillas I would recommend this puzzle set.

The No-Cry Separation Anxiety Solution: Gentle Ways to Make Good-bye Easy from Six Months to Six Years
by Elizabeth Pantley

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical solutions from Pantley, 18 July 2010
Having read other parenting books by Elizabeth Pantley, starting with 'The No Cry Sleep Solution', I was keen to read 'The No Cry Separation Anxiety Solution' when by youngest (of four after an 11 year gap) began to show distress when separated from myself or my husband.
As always, Elizabeth takes a sympathetic approach, advocating a gentle method with the child's welfare and parent-child relationship always at the fore. The book contains many practical approaches to dealing with separation anxiety as well as explaining why it happens. I like that she allows for differences in your own family situation in that you can pick and choose which ideas to use and try different methods for a period of time to discover which works best for your own situation.
I find that her writing allows you to understand situations and emotions from your child's viewpoint - something which as busy parents we can often be to busy to notice - which when dealing with problems allows us to take a step back and see why our child might be behaving in such a way and then she offers us practical solutions.
If you have issues with separation anxiety I highly recommend this book; my son is just 2 years old but the advice in here ranges for children from 6 months to 6 years so I am sure I will find it invaluable over the next few years.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3