Profile for Eirik > Reviews

Foyle's War - Series 7 [DVD]
Foyle's War - Series 7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Kitchen

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy follow-up, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Foyle's War - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
I have awaited Foyle's return on screen for quite some time, and the wait was definitely worth it. The episodes are well written, interesting and suspenseful. Foyle comes back from America and is immediately approached by MI5: Finally they want him to work for them.

The episodes are really exciting and dramatic. The war is over, and Foyle finds himself in the world of espionage, with the new threat of the Sovjet Union and its spies and schemes lurking around every corner. Foyle manages to use his forensic skills creatively in this new setting. I really like the way the series treats Foyle's balance between doing his job and his moral integrity. The dilemma between the dark and possibly immoral ways of MI5 and the notion of the "greater good" is a returning theme that the series deals with.

Michael Kitchen is as excellent as ever. There is such a great depth behind his subtle way of acting; a lot is being said behind his non-verbal demeanour. His "silent" style is what makes Foyle Foyle. Superb acting, in other words. Honeysuckle Weeks is also back; this time playing a more sombre and tired Sam, reflecting the hardship of the times, without omitting the occasional hilarious moments when she really brings joy and laughter to the episodes. Foyle's war is of course unthinkable without her.

I encountered some disappointments. First of all, I was a little unsatisfied that we did not get to see Foyle's hunt for senator Howard Paige in America, since I have looked forward to this ever since the episode where he got away (50 ships I belive it was), and since the last thing Foyle did in the last series was to go to America. I hope we might get to know more of this later, if they continue the series.

It might have been preferable to have the same actor to play Sam's husband, but this is a minor detail of course. This option was probably not available for the creators at the time, for some reason. That is very understandable and constitutes one of the difficulties of making a prolonged series.

There is also a literal change of colour in the series, especially in the first episode, "The Eternity Ring". A tone of grey dominates the canvas, conveying the dismal and gloomy feeling of post-war Britain, with bombed out buildings and food rationing. This grey appearance loses some of the feel of the earlier Foyle episodes, but does also add to the drama, the difficulties of the time and the moral "grey zone" of the world of espionage and Foyle's new employer, MI5.

I am sorry about the small nit-picks. Maybe I am being somewhat harsh in giving it four out of five stars, because it is a very good comeback for Foyle with dazzling acting performances and interesting plots. I highly recommend it.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2016 2:15 AM BST

Music For The Motion Picture Into The Wild
Music For The Motion Picture Into The Wild

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 21 Jun. 2012
Despite its relative modest time span, this CD is a shining diamond. The songs are short, but close to perfection. For lovers of Pearl Jam, this CD is evidently a must and they have probably already bought it a long time ago, however it will also captivate others who enjoy well crafted, first-rate acoustic pieces reminiscent of the legendary "Just Breathe". I haven't listened to much music lately except this great soundtrack; there are pearl upon pearl in this album; the two major songs are of course "Society" and "Hard Sun", two superbly enthralling pieces of magic, but not the only ones. In my opinion, songs like "Guaranteed", "Long Nights" and the short and simple "Rise" are also contestants for the top spots, while my personal favourite is "No Ceiling", a spellbinding tune I probably already have heard a hundred times.

There is not much reason not to buy this album. It is great and easily one of the best I've heard in a very long time. The music is strikingly beautiful and Eddie Vedder's voice is superb and exceptional as always. The quality of each minute of music is stunning, so you definitely get your money's worth on this one!

Sherlock - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Sherlock - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch
Offered by Adam Griffiths Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 15 April 2012
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
As an avid Sherlock Holmes fan, I usually don't expect much from new adaptations as there is enough rubbish for quite a sizeable scrap heap ((hint: the last two films starring Robert Downey jr. and Jude Law being the top of the heap). But after having read some great reviews praising this series, I had to give it a go. I must admit that I also was skeptic of the idea of placing Sherlock Holmes in the 21st century (yeah, I am quite a traditionalist), but upon seeing the first episode, I was stunned. What a great performance! Benedict Cumberbatch is absolutely brilliant in the role of Sherlock Holmes, the film makers could not have asked for a better man to do the job. Case in point, the introduction scene where Watson meets Sherlock for the first time is outstanding and captures strikingly the acuteness of Holmes' abilities in a mind-blowing way. Watson, played by Martin Freeman, is also a great choice by the film makers. I feel he embodies the personality of Watson as I personally have imagined him, but with adding his own flavour to the character as well, which is good. Andrew Scott also makes a dazzling performance, blending a perfect mix of cunning, intelligence and pure insanity for the role of Moriarty.

The episodes are well-directed and thrilling. They are not predictable, as the film makers have based the episodes on the real Holmes stories but changed them with new twists, which I like very much. The Sherlock Holmes universe shouldn't be static, even I realise that. There are six episodes on this DVD, each and every one are well-made though I for some reason particularly liked the first and the last episodes the most. That is a matter of taste. If you like Sherlock Holmes, you will like this series. I strongly recommend you to get it! As for myself, I cannot wait to get my hands on the third season!

Titanic (ITV) [DVD]
Titanic (ITV) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Toby Jones
Offered by A2Z Entertains

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth a dime..., 15 April 2012
This review is from: Titanic (ITV) [DVD] (DVD)
I was looking forward to watching this one. 1912, The Titanic and elegant sets...what more can you ask for? Well, to be honest, I was expecting a lot more. This was the worst nonsense I've seen ever since that zombie-faced heir returned to Downton Abbey (from the Titanic, ironically) in season two of that series. This smells too much Julian Fellowes. The first season of Downton Abbey was actually very good, but the second one reminded me more a cheap soap than a quality period drama. Unfortunately, this miniseries resembles more the second season of DA than the first one. Trivial, dull dialogue, cheap characters, ludicrous stereotypes and not particularly impressing sets or effects. I recommend you not to waste your money on this product. Sleeping pills come cheaper.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2012 2:00 AM BST