Profile for Jones the Cat. > Reviews

Content by Jones the Cat.

Jones the Cat. (North Wales)

Seveneves
Seveneves
by Neal Stephenson

5.0 out of 5 stars Layered, 7 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Seveneves (Hardcover)
I thought it was a cracking read. Took a while for it to grab me but once I got into the meat of it I found it compelling. Not sure if anyone else picked up on the idea that the Seveneves themselves were a play on the the Seven Sages or Seven Rishis .. the mythological bringers of culture, architecture and science to the neolithic world following the supposed catastrophes of the last ice age. I've just also finished Graham Hancocks new one so these thoughts were fresh in my mind when I read this.

Magicians of the Gods: The forgotten wisdom of earth's lost civilisation - the sequel to Fingerprints of the Gods
by Graham Hancock

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential., 1 Oct. 2015
Great read from Graham Hancock as was expected. Wonderfully researched with a polymaths approach to the evidence presented. I think it is a more sober book than Fingerprints ( which is a book I can quite honestly say changed my life in that it opened my mind to the whole catastrophist take on human history ). Speculations are clearly disclosed as such and I think that this is an indication that Hancock is preempting the inevitable academic shitstorm that will come his way. An entrenched and prevailing singular academic mindset is a hurdle to be crossed ( Gunung Padang .. the dead hand of orthodox archeology ).Also,thankfully Hancock doesn't pander to the whole Sitchin Sumerian alien hypothesis which is a science fiction distraction in this whole area of alternative history.
Who is to say whether or not that there is a serious message for humanity implied in the precessional code embodied in megalithic monuments across the Globe. Its a compelling idea nevertheless and it hasn't gone unnoticed that there is a more urgent tone these days coming from many people in science to improve somehow our possible defence strategies against some kind of potential cosmic impact.

Logical Progression
Logical Progression
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 15 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Logical Progression (Audio CD)
The first time I ever heard this album ( thanks Jethro !! ) it completely blew me away. I went and bought it immediately ( 10 years ago ) and it set me off on a fantastic musical journey discovering the whole genre of Drum and Bass. I still come back to it again and again and marvel at its quality and diversity ... ranging from tight sophisticated breakbeat mixes to wonderfully uplifting soulful moments ... One and Only is just a complete classic ... guess D+B is not everyones cup of tea but this album will always live on for me .. just fantastic