Profile for Robert C. Leeson > Reviews

Content by Robert C. Leeson

Robert C. Leeson "Paul Leeson" (Adelaide, Sth Australia)

Page: 1 | 2
L'Oiseau Lyre - Classical & Early Romantic
L'Oiseau Lyre - Classical & Early Romantic

5.0 out of 5 stars I particularly enjoyed the Beethoven piano sonatas played on fortepianos appropriate to ..., 10 Feb. 2016
I received this box-set as a Christmas present and have spent a delightful holiday listening to glorious music on original instruments. I particularly enjoyed the Beethoven piano sonatas played on fortepianos appropriate to the era. I have always been a fan of the Wilhelm Kempf sets (yes, I have both of them on CD and the later set on vinyl) but this recording gave me new insights into both melody and structure of these masterworks. I also liked the recording of Haydn's Creation which has more immediacy and excitement than the old Kings College Choir version which has been my go to for this work up to now. I've enjoyed what I have heard so far and am looking forward to exploring some of the lesser-known works in the future.

Bach: Cantatas | Complete Box Set
Bach: Cantatas | Complete Box Set

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm really pleased to have received this so quickly, 10 Feb. 2016
I'm really pleased to have received this so quickly. I think 8 days from the UK to Australia must be some kind of record!
I've heard many of the recordings on ABC radio on Sunday mornings and find the live performance recordings have an energy and immediacy that studio recordings don't always have, although I do have a soft spot for the Nikolaus Harnoncourt recordings, some of which I still have on vinyl.
While I was reading Gardiner's Music in the Castle of Heaven last year I wished I could hear the cantatas as I was reading his comments. Having this set will enable me to do this next year as a first project when I have retired from full time work. I'm certainly looking forward to it!

The Go-Between - Starring Vanessa Redgrave, Jim Broadbent and Joanna Vanderham. As Seen on BBC1. BAFTA Nominated [DVD]
Dvd ~ Vanessa Redgrave

5.0 out of 5 stars There were things about this one that I really liked and found more believable, 18 Nov. 2015
It was interesting to compare this with the Joseph Losey film. There were things about this one that I really liked and found more believable. The ages of Marion and Ted seemed more appropriate in this version as did the age and innocence of Leo. His awakening and realization of what was going on and its subsequent effect on him seemed much more apparent. It was lovely to see Vanessa Redgrave and Jim Broadbent as the older Marion and Leo. On the other hand I don't think Margaret Leighton's performance (gilet-eyed) in the older film could be surpassed and it was a pity to have the character of Mr Mawdsley disappear altogether. On the whole there are things to like about both productions and I will continue to enjoy them both for different reasons.

L'Oiseau: The Baroque Era (Lyre Edition)
L'Oiseau: The Baroque Era (Lyre Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars it is good to be re-hearing performances that I had on vinyl ..., 18 Nov. 2015
I'm slowly working my way through these discs and thoroughly enjoying them. it is good to be re-hearing performances that I had on vinyl years ago and even better to be hearing other works for the first time. This is really a project for my retirement and I'm looking forward to the companion set of classical and early romantic works. I think both are incredible value for money.

Volpone
Volpone
Dvd ~ Gérard Depardieu
Offered by BMG-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars and enjoyed a production of this here in Adelaide, 18 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Volpone (DVD)
I bought this because we had recently seen, and enjoyed a production of this here in Adelaide. I suppose I like the irony of one of the great works of English Jacobean comedy should be in French and without English subtitles! On the other hand the production is very lively with plenty of colour and movement! I still have enough schoolboy French to be aware of what is going on but may not get all of the subtleties. Overall I enjoyed it and it gave much hilarity to my family that I would buy a dvd in another language - but then I buy opera dvds all the time!

Bird of Prey [DVD]
Bird of Prey [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Griffiths

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed Richard Griffiths's performance as Henry Jay, 18 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Bird of Prey [DVD] (DVD)
I really enjoyed Richard Griffiths's performance as Henry Jay, although I must admit that by the end of episode three whether there would be anybody left still alive! It maintained the suspense right up to the very end and I'm looking forward to seeing the second series. I enjoyed the vintage computer hardware and liked the idea of office desks that weren't yet cluttered up with computers.

Little Lord Fauntleroy - 2-DVD Set
Little Lord Fauntleroy - 2-DVD Set
Dvd ~ George Baker
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars This was better than I remember it from seeing it on TV ..., 18 Nov. 2015
This was better than I remember it from seeing it on TV many years ago - not nearly as mawkishly sentimental as I thought it might have been. I must admit that my sons, now in their twenties, thought that the German voice track was pretty funny - not that they speak German at all. On the other hand two German exchange students we had staying with us appreciated it.

The History of Mathematics: An Open University Course Reader
The History of Mathematics: An Open University Course Reader
by John Fauvel

5.0 out of 5 stars I find this book fascinating. The primary sources - ..., 2 Sept. 2015
I find this book fascinating. The primary sources - letters, articles, excerpts of published papers etc are incredibly interesting to me, a secondary Mathematics teacher approaching the end of a forty-year career. I've worked at schools that had copies in their libraries and so have always been able to dip into it when I wanted to. Now I'll be able to look up items at any time as it will be part of my personal library.

Britten: War Requiem (Erin Wall/ Mark Padmore/ Hanno Muller-Brachmann) (Arthaus: 108070) [Blu-ray] [2012][Region Free]
Dvd ~ Britten

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the most amazing musical disc in my collection, 2 Sept. 2015
This is the most amazing musical disc in my collection! I had the immense pleasure of visiting Coventry and the Cathedral in 2005 and going to the service in the ruins on Hiroshima Day - an overwhelming experience. This brought back memories of that visit and parts of the performance, notably the poems of Wilfred Owen reduced me to tears. The clarity of the pictures and the intensity and range of the sound have given me great pleasure.

Kings and Queens of England
Kings and Queens of England
by Eleanor Farjeon

5.0 out of 5 stars I remember reading it, from the school library, ..., 30 Jun. 2015
I remember reading it, from the school library, as a school boy more than fifty years ago. I have to admit that "Bluff King Hal was full of beans" and "Sign, King John or resign instead" have been in my brain ever since. Even more appropriately it arrived on the 800th anniversary of the signing of Magna Carta. It is even more enjoyable than I remembered it. Many thanks to the British Library for republishing it and to Amazon for their expeditious delivery.

Page: 1 | 2