Profile for Jakee > Reviews

Jakee

We Started Nothing
We Started Nothing

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome., 29 May 2008
This review is from: We Started Nothing (Audio CD)
The first Ting Tings song I ever heard was Great DJ - I thought it was good, but not groundbreaking. Now, listening to it more and more, I'm falling in love with it.
On first listen, this album is good. On second listen, it's very good. On the third listen, it's brilliant. Every song is so catchy and fun, and within minutes you won't be able to get it out of your head.
Fortunately, these guys don't take themselves too seriously, so if you're looking for big ballads then this is obviously not the place to look. However, if you're looking for a fun, catchy, infectious indie album then you've come to the right place.

Rockferry
Rockferry
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars This album more than lives up to the hype!, 21 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Duffy ever since I first heard "Mercy", I loved her style, and her voice took me into the 60s big-stylee.
After hearing "Rockferry" too, I decided to buy the album and I was NOT disappointed!

1. "Rockferry"
This song is amazing, fantastic mid-tempo tune, and she really displays her amazing vocal range when she sings the last chorus a whole octave higher! Bloody hard to sing a long to, but you won't be able to resist trying!

2. "Warwick Avenue"
I was SO impressed with this song. It's really bluesy and it shows off her great voice, it's catchy and it's definitely one of the album's highlights.

3. "Serious"
This is one of the two tracks on the album which I'm not entirely sure of. It sounds a little bit poppy compared to the rest of the album, plus the verses seem to lead up to a chorus which is a bit lacklustre. Definitely still listenable, but more so for the verses than anything else.

4. "Stepping Stone"
This song is beautiful. Love the chorus, there are some beautiful high notes and she just pulls it off brilliantly.

5. "Syrup And Honey"
LOVE this song, definitely a contender to be one of my favourite songs on the album. Here she sings about how money doesn't matter as long as she has the love of her partner. Great, simple lyrics and just a fantastic track.

6. "Hanging On Too Long"
This is the other of the two tracks which I don't love. There are no really spectacular high notes here, and although it's only four minutes long, the song seems to drag a bit as there isn't much change in her pitch all the way through.

7. "Mercy"
What needs to be said about this song? It's obviously phenomenal, catchy sixties beats and those high notes make this song. If you just like the style of the song, don't buy the album on that note, but if it's her voice you love then this album's for you.

8. "Delayed Devotion"
This song is quite uptempo and punchy, it's catchy and although it's not one of the best tracks on the album, it's still very listenable.

9. "I'm Scared"
This song is a beautiful ballad which deals with the issue of death. It's very soul-fuelled and bluesy, and Duffy seems to sing the song with real emotion.

10. "Distant Dreamer"
This track closes the album in style. I have to admit that at first I wasn't mad about it, and I was a bit skeptical about it being 5 minutes long as I sometimes have quite a short attention span when it comes to songs! But her voice sounds beautiful on this, the chorus is amazing and the tune is really big-band style.

Robyn (UK Edition Bonus Track)
Robyn (UK Edition Bonus Track)
Offered by Revolution Media

5.0 out of 5 stars The closest to perfect I've encountered in a while., 14 Feb. 2008
I wasn't expecting much from this album to be honest, I bought it because of how much I loved "Be Mine". However, the rest of the album is AMAZING. Curriculum Vitae is just the introduction to the album, but there are some witty lyrics in there, it's just a guy talking about how amazing Robyn is and comparing her to other famous people. Konichiwa Bitches and Cobrastyle really surprised me, I'd never heard Konichiwa Bitches before and I love the style and sound of the song, it's Robyn rapping over a fantastic futuristic beat. Cobrastyle is pretty much in the same vein as Konichiwa Bitches with the fact that there isn't really any singing but the beat is amazing! I don't normally like electro-pop but these two songs blew me away.

Next is "Handle Me" and you pretty much know the deal with that. A good song, has actually grown on me a lot, still don't see why that one word is still censored though. Next is my personal favourite on the album - "Bum Like You". Once again an AMAZING beat, and I absolutely love the chorus. I never realised how beautiful Robyn's voice is until I heard this song.

The rest of the album is also fantastic, I have nothing but praise for it so I'll just focus on the two tiny downsides on this album - "Eclipse" and "Anytime You Like". Earlier I stated that Robyn had a beautiful voice, and this is very true, but unfortunately in my eyes she doesn't really carry off "Eclipse". It's pretty much the only ballad on the album, and I'm glad because the track is actually quite bland. Nothing groundbreaking at all, even though I could listen to the song, I just find it boring. "Anytime You Like" doesn't really progress throughout the song, Robyn's voice doesn't really change pitch much, I got bored after a minute of it, but all in all an absolutely amazing album. Definitely worth buying the UK version for the cheeky, witty "Jack U Off" - it's short but it's still brilliant and the lyrics put a smile on my face.

La Bella Mafia Starring Lil' Kim
La Bella Mafia Starring Lil' Kim
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars One of Kim's best albums, 1 Jan. 2008
Right, the first thing that some of you reading this review may want to consider is the fact that I actually think "HardCore" was Kim's weakest album. So, if you're looking for that gangsta that she brought on "HardCore" you might wanna check for either "Naked Truth" or "Ms. G.O.A.T" - her new mixtape.

This album has a great variety of club bangers, street hits and pop-friendly tunes. Songs like "The Jump Off" [produced by Timbaland] are representative of the more pop/club type songs on this album. Sometimes she delivers this genre brilliantly well (for example "The Magic Stick" featuring 50 Cent) and sometimes NOT so well [more notably "Shake Ya Bum Bum"]

However, Kim definitely delivers with this album. After her latest album Notorious K.I.M was critically panned, Kim came with a whole new sound once again, changing from the euro-pop style which she adopted on Notorious, to a much wider-spread album. If you're lookin for good gutta tracks on here, you will DEFINITELY wanna skip to "Hold It Now" and "Thug Luv". If you buy this album, chances are you will definitely enjoy at least half of it, as there seems to be a song for every audience on this great piece of work from the Queen Bee.

Blackout
Blackout

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic comeback, 18 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Blackout (Audio CD)
The album title is true - Britney completely blacks out all the negative comments and comes back with this masterpiece. There are no sentimental ballads singing over heartbroken she is over K-Fed, or what she was really thinking when she went through an absolute crisis. Nope. Britney just wants to DANCE.

1. Gimme More 8.5/10
The first single from the album. Produced by Danja, this is a club banger but the completely wrong choice for first single.

2. Piece of Me 10/10
AMAZING song. Witty lyrics take a catty swipe at the paparazzi, and with backing vocals by Swedish pop princess Robyn, this track is a hit.

3. Radar 9/10
The infectious synths and high-pitched wails on this song will make you wanna dance for sure.

4. Break The Ice 10/10
The rumoured second single from the album, this track is so funky it's hard to put into words. Once again, the magnificent Danja produces this track.

5. Heaven on Earth 7/10
The worst song on the album. It's far too long and pretty boring. NEXT.

6. Get Naked [I Got A Plan] 8/10
This song is fantastic too. It features guest vocals from Danja and together they exchange sex talk over a bangin beat.

7. Freakshow 10/10
Oh my God. LOVE THIS. An absolute masterpiece, this will have you dancing for certain. Possibly the best track on the album.

8. Toy Soldier 10/10
Wasn't keen on this at first, but the military-style drums had me in the end. This is a serious contender to Freakshow.

9. Hot As Ice 10/10
Fantastically funky, love the backing vocals on the chorus and the overall poppy feel of the track.

10. Ooh Ooh Baby 9/10
This song is quite different to the rest, and Brit pulls this off well. Also includes the hilarious lyrics "You're filling me up with your love."

11. Perfect Lover 9/10
This song is also greaat. Sounds like it should be produced by Timbaland.

12. Why Should I Be Sad 7.5/10
Meh. The only real mid-tempo track on the album. It kind of talks about K-Fed, but only saying that she shouldn't be sad cos she has a Ferrari. Materialistic and pretty dull.

Good Girl Gone Bad
Good Girl Gone Bad
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 18 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Good Girl Gone Bad (Audio CD)
Love this album.

1. Umbrella (ft. Jay-Z) 10/10
Well, you already know what this is about, an absolute MEGA-hit and for good reason too.

2. Push Up On Me 8/10
A funky lil pop/electro number - not as good as Umbrella, but displaying Rihanna's new musical direction.

3. Don't Stop The Music 10/10
An excellent dance tune that'll have you dancing and singing along, plus there's a great Michael Jackson sample in there too.

4. Breakin' Dishes 9.5/10
Another fantastic song, really catchy hook and kick-ass lyrics.

5. Shut Up And Drive 8.5/10
A great rock song, have you singing along as well - second single from the album.

6. Hate That I Love You (ft. Ne-Yo) 9/10
A fantastic ballad featuring Ne-Yo's amazing voice, the two compliment each other very well.

7. Say It 6/10
By all means not a bad song, but this slightly-boring mid-tempo tune sounds quite mediocre compared to the rest of the belters.

8. Sell Me Candy 10/10
LOVE this song. Very funky and unique, and the guy in the chorus is amazing - listen and you'll see what I mean.

9. Lemme Get That 7/10
Rihanna goes back to a "Music Of The Sun" kind of sound with this one. Not bad, but not great either.

10. Rehab 9/10
Another Timbaland produced song, and this is a great guitar-ballad about love, Rihanna's voice sounds amazing on this.

11. Question Existing 6/10
Has the potential to be OK, but this song and it's futuristic beats never really seem to go anywhere.

12. Good Girl Gone Bad 9.5/10
Fantastic guitar ballad, sounds a bit like "Irreplaceable" with a great chorus.

13. Cry (UK Bonus Track) 9.5/10
Absolutely beautiful. Sounds a lot like Unfaithful, with Rihanna's voice being the main instrument in this tune.

All in all, BUY IT!

I'm Not Dead
I'm Not Dead

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!!, 13 Oct. 2007
This review is from: I'm Not Dead (Audio CD)
This CD is music at its very best. There's a great mixture of uptempo songs and ballads - fortunately for P!nk she pulls off both very well!! The best songs on here are probably the incredibly witty "Stupid Girls", the fun, rocky "U + Ur Hand", the sing-a-alongy "Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)", the ass-kicking "Cuz I Can", the beautiful "Runaway" and the two cracking bonus tracks "Centerfold" and "Fingers". BUY IT!!!!!

Glamorest Life
Glamorest Life
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot!!!!!!, 16 July 2007
This review is from: Glamorest Life (Audio CD)
Not one bad song on this album. Most of the songs are club bangers - great to dance to, and then there's some sexy smooth RnB jams - much like "Here We Go". My advice - BUY IT!!!!!!! You will not be disappointed!!!!!

The Dutchess
The Dutchess
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars This is really good! wasn't expecting that..., 7 April 2007
This review is from: The Dutchess (Audio CD)
Wow! Based on the first two UK singles (London Bridge and Glamorous) I have to say that I wasn't overly impressed with Fergie's solo work, but bought this anyway, purely based on the fact that I loved her so much with BEP. I've listened to the album a few times and I LOVE it!! It's so catchy and unique (apart from "Glamorous" which is a direct copy of Gwen Stefani's "Luxurious") Here is a review of all the tracks.

1 - Fergalicious - this is funky, fun, fast and catchy. love it!

2 - Clumsy - not as keen on this one but Fergie sounds great and, overall, I could listen to it.

3 - All That I Got (The Make-Up Song) - I love the lyrics on this one, it's kinda personal and that's always a good thing.

4 - London Bridge - if you love stuff like "Hollaback Girl" then you'll like this, it's funky and catchy, but she seems to swear for the sake of it!

5 - Pedestal - also, again, love the lyrics on this one. It kinda slags off the paparazzi, plus it's funky and catchy and her voice sounds great.

6 - Voodoo Doll - you just have to admire the creativity and the uniqueness of this. wasn't a lover of this song at first, now it's one of my faves on the album.

7 - Glamorous - really laid-back, good lyrics again. Much better than "Luxurious" in my opinion.

8 - Here I Come - favourite song on the album! really funky, plus will.i.Am has a good verse on it.

9 - Velvet - disappointing. don't like it at all. one of the only songs i skip on this album.

10 - Big Girls Don't Cry - this is fab!! really deep and emotional, and reminds people that she is a really talented vocalist.

11 - Mary Jane Shoes - not sure about this one at all. is it reggae? is it ska? is it punk? i dunno, but i don't like the end result.

12 - Losing My Ground - not bad, not phenomenal. listenable, but not one of the album's best points.

13 - Finally - love this!!! Fergie's vocals are amazing, the lyrics are fantastic, it's a great way to end the album!

Anyways, my faves are: