Profile for yojimbo > Reviews

The Complete Guide to Being Evil
The Complete Guide to Being Evil
by Laura Stephenson

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is a Devil of a deal!, 5 Dec. 2013
This is Laura Stephenson's 22 step guide to being Evil!

This first offering from Laura Stephenson introduces us to Kalara, she's young,good looking and rich! She's also kind of snarky, but wouldn't you be too?! I can only imagine the type of person I'd be if I had even one of these attributes! But to make things worse, she's also a mage!

Whilst trying to get introduced to the "in crowd" of a new city, Kalara comes across another mage and takes the opportunity to revel her powers! Which in hindsight is not such a good idea when the mage in question turns out to be a Necromancer!

Whitcomb,Necromancer and general not nice guy, doesn't take kindly to the appearance of a potentially rival mage on his turf! And as any Necromancer worth his soul flavoured salt, he proceeds to try and kill her!

Rather than taking this beat down as a lesson well learned, and skipping town, Kalara decides to fight fire with fire!

She does this by enlisting the help of Evander a devil down on his luck, close to flunking his devil degree, a deal which will give her the power she needs to reek revenge on the Necromancer and keep Evander from flunking! That is if it all works out as planned!

Laura Stephenson keeps the story flowing a good pace, the writing and the characters are tight and engaging, since it's a guide, helpful notes are thrown in, in a very Terry Pratchett kind of way.

This book was great to read and I will be keeping an eye out for any future releases!

Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, Book 1): 1/3
Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, Book 1): 1/3
by Mark Lawrence

5.0 out of 5 stars Just remember it's a book! Exquisite escapism! Buy it now!, 10 May 2013
"Well slap my thigh and call me Uncle"!

It's been a long time since I've been this surprised by a book! There are so many great books out there, finding that rare pearl that takes you that extra mile is proving harder and harder to find! But Mark has what it takes in spades, shovels and Huge Bloody JCBs!

This is a fantasy book with an anti-hero as the lead character, it's dark, it's gritty and it's absolutely compelling! Some of the scenes may well be a bit too much for some readers, so bare this in mind before you read it and start screaming/complaning!

You have been warned!

But for those of you who are able to read a book and understand that there is a real story being told here, then you are in for a treat, get ready to get invested! Read this book now!

Fortress Frontier (Shadow Ops)
Fortress Frontier (Shadow Ops)
by Myke Cole

5.0 out of 5 stars "Hooah!", 1 Feb. 2013
Following up an excellent debut novel is always going to be hard! Myke Coles first offering
Control Point (Shadow Ops 1) was awesome! The premise, the characters, the writing!
He set the bar pretty damn high!
It's Myke Coles unique Military background that make this such a compelling and convincing read!
If you've already read the first book then you won't need my opinion before buying this book,
but if you haven't then I strongly suggest buying both books and I hope you enjoy the ride!

Zombie Fallout 5  Alive In A Dead World
Zombie Fallout 5 Alive In A Dead World

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion and for what it's worth this is mine!, 2 Mar. 2012
Another Five star review! What the hell is going on?!
Criticism is fine as long as it's constructive and not destructive! At least that's how I see it!
Okay, I have to admit, I've been hooked since day one! Marks books are like chocolate for me, they're very "moreish", and thankfully Mark still finds ways of giving us more, but like chocolate some people are allergic to it (I feel so sorry for these people I really do!) So I'm guessing that some people just don't get Mark and his books which is a shame!
If you've read the other books in the ZF series then you'll know that the characters and the writing have evolved along the way, like the world around them the writing style is getting darker too!
What I've always loved out the ZF series is that the characters, like us, are flawed, nobody is perfect so it's easy to identify and understand them and this is even more so in ZF 5. If you've managed to get here then buying ZF5 should be a Zombie no brainer (did you see what I did there?!)
Mark if you get to read this then my offer of a ice cold beer still stands! Thanks for another great read and yes, I found my name! :)

Timothy
Timothy

5.0 out of 5 stars Best places to eat out! A zombies point of view!, 18 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Timothy (Kindle Edition)
Once again Mark has knocked us for 6! His books push buttons so well it's kind of scary, he has the ability to delve into the darkest parts of the human soul in a way that is truly quit disturbing! Don't get me wrong, I hope very much to one day meet with Mark and thank him in person for all his great books, just not alone,in a cabin in the middle of the woods!
As has been mentioned before this book is not for the faint hearted, if you've read the Zombie Fallout series and the the Indian Hill books then you'll already know that the limits have been pushed and keep getting pushed! Timothy goes all the way! And adds the "wafer-thin mint" to boot! Take it as it is and enjoy this story like the rest of us! But you have been warned!

Zombie Fallout 4 The End Has Come and Gone
Zombie Fallout 4 The End Has Come and Gone

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not falling out with this zombie that's 4 sure!, 15 Nov. 2011
If you've already read the first Zombie Fallout book then you won't need to read any reviews! You'll already know that these books are amazing and would have bought the rest in the blink of an eye! If you haven't read the previous three books, THEN WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING READING A REVIEW FOR A FOURTH BOOK IN A SERIES?! Buy the whole series you will not be disappointed! :) These books are quite simply an epic WIN!

PowerUp Heroes - Requires Kinect (Xbox 360)
PowerUp Heroes - Requires Kinect (Xbox 360)
Offered by Genius Factory Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars It's time to suit up!, 18 Oct. 2011
PowerUp Heroes is a fun "beat em up" which shows off the kinect very well!
You can choose between a variety of "super heros" each boasting their own unique super powers.
Think Mortal Kombat (but without the blood and gore!) The fun part being you are in control!
The special moves are easy to master and the various fight modes keeps the game interesting, my only criticism would be the PEGI 12 rating! The action is nothing you wouldn't see in an everyday cartoon!
So suit up! Power up! And kick some butt! You know you want too!