Profile for CWP1956 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Mental Illness
Mental Illness

5.0 out of 5 stars Barbed wire wrapped in cotton wool, 8 Jun. 2017
This review is from: Mental Illness (Audio CD)
Aimee Mann is one of the great American songwriters currently practicing the art.
She's never made a bad album, but her own high standards sometimes slip and she produces a record that, while 99% of of songwriters would give a major organ to produce, for her isn't quite up to the mark.
Have no such fears with Mental Illness. Gorgeous melodies abound, Aimee's piercing perceptive lyrics permeate the production. Her vocal delivery is just heart-meltingly wonderful. It is simply a superb collection of songs.
The cover-art is awful, but that's the worst thing I can say about this album.
Do yourself a favour and buy it. My album of 2017 (so far).

I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim

5.0 out of 5 stars Bunyan's Pilgrim would die of fright, 8 Jun. 2017
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Kindle Edition)
Every now and then a thriller comes along that lives up to that idea - it does what it's supposed to and gives you a genuinely thrilling read.
You can read plot synopses for this book elsewhere, I just want to recommend this as an excellent read. It's one of those books where I'd think, I've got 10 minutes, I can read a few more pages... and then feel utterly frustrated when the 10 minutes were up and I had to put the book down.
It's not perfect. The sub-plot is over contrived, but that doesn't detract from the overall excellence of the main plot.
I get really frustrated with books that are sloppily plotted. The internal consistency of the plot of I Am Pilgrim kept me riveted. I can't find any internal flaws that ruin it.
I passed this on to my brother who is even more critical than I am, and he loved it too. Maybe he'll post his own review.

Blindsighted: (Grant County series 1)
Blindsighted: (Grant County series 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Blindingly obvious would be a better description. Less of a whodunnit and more of ..., 12 Oct. 2014
Blindsighted? Blindingly obvious would be a better description. Less of a whodunnit and more of a "How long is it gong to take for these idiots to realise who the killer is?"
I stuck with it for self-confirmation that I was right, but this is an author I'm going to blind to in future.

Bicycle Odyssey: around the world in 800 days
Bicycle Odyssey: around the world in 800 days

5.0 out of 5 stars A bike ride to find that this world is a real mixture of heaven and hell, 19 Aug. 2014
I should firstly declare an interest here. I came to read this book because Dan, one of Lucy's companions for a sizeable chunk of her circumnavigation, is a friend of mine. I don't know Lucy at all though.
So through Dan's prompting I downloaded it. I wasn't really expecting too much. Self published books I've come across tend to be repetitious and resort to cliche and platitude rather than reach for an original thought and generally aren't that interesting.
I needn't have worried.
I'd finished a book on my commute home and decided to have a look at Lucy's book. From the first page, describing her first long distance cycle, I realised this was a book that wasn't going to take itself too seriously. Lucy is quite strong on self-deprecating humour.
Part of the joy of the book is her naiveté in the early stages and her unpreparedness for what lay ahead, but she learns.
From the ill-timed meeting in Istanbul, which leads to her chasing down fellow cyclists Dan and Will who had left two days before she arrived, through Pakistan and India there are delightful sketches of the people and places they pass through. On to parts of Asia and then to Australia and New Zealand and the final part telling of her solo crossing of the United States.
There's problems with parasites and problems with companions (her description of Dan's various foibles are spot on, as anyone who knows him will testify), problems with equipment and problems with the weather (also most disconcerting was the episode where people attempt to set them up for a drug bust), but through it all there is an unbounded enthusiasm, indeed sheer delight in cycling through a country, being part of the environment, and not speeding along seeing it through a windscreen.
Episodes of danger include wandering inadvertently onto a glacier and finding the ground isn't as solid as you'd imagine, a night spent lost on a mountain and sensibly declining at the last minute to go scree running and instead retaking her track alongside vertiginous drops.
One thing that constantly amazed me was the kindness of strangers and even more was the kindnesses shown by people who had virtually nothing, but were still willing to share what little they had with wandering passers-by.
Occasionally there is a slightly overlong section and occasionally sections are a little too short (the visit to Yellowstone National Park is covered in a couple of sentences) but these are minor criticisms.
This is a lovely book mixing adventure, humour, observation, philosophising, joy and occasional anger but above all the exhilaration of being out on the road for months on end, riding a bike and seeing more of the world and being part of it in the 800 days than most of us will experience in our lifetime.

Razor Wire [Explicit]
Razor Wire [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars I think one day she will be a star, 25 Jun. 2014
Hannah was an unexpected addition to the bill at a Holly Williams gig in London.
We had no idea who she was, but her half hour set was stunning. There was no argument we had to have her album and it definitely doesn't disappoint.
These are full band versions of the material we heard live (plus a few more) together with a bonus acoustic version of the title track.
Remember her name. Better still buy the album. Hannah Aldridge is a brilliant new artist.
I want to add an exponent to the star rating and make it 5 stars squared.

Leo Sayer - Long Handled Shopping Bag
Leo Sayer - Long Handled Shopping Bag
Offered by Art247

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the right size, 7 Jun. 2014
I've stood next to the former pierrot impersonator and I can tell you the tiny leonine maned one could easily fit in this bag. I think he really might be inside the one in the photo, so if you buy the bag and find a tiny Leo inside, remember "Leo is for life, not just for shopping"

LIVE AT EBBET'S FIELD, DENVER
LIVE AT EBBET'S FIELD, DENVER

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of money, 20 Mar. 2014
Johnny C and David Pearlman say all you need to know about this set.

This really is a shocking rip off, even at the budget price.

Heavy Crazy (UK Import)
Heavy Crazy (UK Import)
Offered by Smaller World Future

3.0 out of 5 stars Otherwise available on Roy's own label, 26 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Heavy Crazy (UK Import) (Audio CD)
This CD is actually a bootleg version of an album that is available on Roy's own Science Friction label as BBC Tapes Vol II (In Concert From The Hippodrome, Golders Green, London 1974). I know this because I bought a copy before Roy released the series of BBC tapes CDs.

The version on Science Friction has one more track as the gig opens with Hors d'Oeuvres. This disc also misnames one song. Track 4 on this is listed as "Maybe" but it is in fact better known as "South Africa", originally on the Lifemask album.

So there's no real problem with the performance, but if you're a Harper fan why not make sure Roy gets the most benefit from this album, income wise, and buy a version on his own label and get a live version of the wonderful opener from Stormcock as well.

Hearts & Arrows
Hearts & Arrows

5.0 out of 5 stars Gloriously outstanding work from Danny, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Hearts & Arrows (Audio CD)
I quite liked Grand Drive but never fully clicked with them. I've been aware of Danny & the Champions of The World for a couple of years now but never caught up with them until recently when I saw them supporting Chuck Prophet.
What a revelation, although limited to a 35 minute set, the quality of the songs shone through and as soon as they left the stage I went and bought this album. In the week or so I've had it I've played it non-stop.
I could bang on about the various qualities but I'm going to limit myself to saying I love it and I unhesitatingly recommend it to anyone who likes Americana.

White Bicycles: Making Music in the 1960s
White Bicycles: Making Music in the 1960s
by Joe Boyd

5.0 out of 5 stars Which way did the 60's go?, 2 July 2006
An excellent memoir of the 60's from someone who was not only there but had a role to play in many different but fondly remembered aspects of the time.

Despite Boyd's successes there were also a load of missed opportunities recalled with a rueful but amusing slant - for instance he could have had a large slice of ABBA's publishing if circumstances hadn't intervened.

Most of the major names from the era seem to cross Boyd's path, but it is of course because of Nick Drake, Fairport Convention, the Incredible String Band and a few others that Boyd's memoir becomes an essential read. Just to find out how Fairport came to record Liege and Lief rather than a completely different record is almost worth buying the book for in itself.

Page: 1 | 2