Profile for Jim Rids > Reviews

Content by Jim Rids

Jim Rids

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Insurgent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 2)
Insurgent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, 30 April 2014
This book is a real let down when compared to the first book and I struggled to read it through to the end and because of this I say avoid it and save your money.

Lone Survivor: The Incredible True Story of Navy SEALs Under Siege
Lone Survivor: The Incredible True Story of Navy SEALs Under Siege

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 30 April 2014
This book is a really emotional read throughout and the details about the Navy Seal training is outstanding so treat yourself and read it.

Karate Stupid: A True Story of Survival
Karate Stupid: A True Story of Survival

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 30 April 2014
Cracking read about karate and the Japanese culture and the author tells it beautifully. I cannot recommend this book enough.

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)
Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 30 April 2014
A very good book and idea but the writing style is a bit tiresome towards the end. I would recommend.

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike Book 1)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok!, 22 Mar. 2014
Starts off well but loses it in the middle of the book. The main character Cormoran Strike is great but it's just lacking.

Bioshock: Rapture
Bioshock: Rapture

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it!, 30 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Bioshock: Rapture (Kindle Edition)
Very good read, my only criticism is it drags a bit about two thirds of the way through but it picks up again.

Run!
Run!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Run! (Kindle Edition)
I've read a few books before this on ultra marathons and I thought why not give it a go - I wasn't disappointed!

I feel the author maintained a good balance between humour and the seriousness of training and preperation for a race but the highlight of the whole book for me was the friendship between Dean and Topher. The torment that Dean puts him through was at times hilarious but Topher deals with the onslaught of constant abuse and always forgives him. It shows what a great bond they share and point proven when Topher finally beats him at a race in Italy and Dean says he couldn't be prouder.

I don't have any negatives about this book and I would recommend it to all.

Born to Run: The Hidden Tribe, the Ultra-Runners, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
by Christopher McDougall

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable., 8 May 2012
This is a good read and I think runners and non runners alike would enjoy this book.

The collective stories within are great and left me wanting to know more about certain individuals who are classed as gods of this sport and when I Googled them I wasn't left disappointed.

Most people will have never heard of ultra marathons and this book is a great insight to this mysterious world where runners compete at distances upwards of 26.2 miles.

The reason I've not given it 5/5 is because of the writing style. On occasion it felt as though a 5 year old wrote it and I felt as though the author embelished certain facts to make the book more entertaining.

Buy it but don't take the information as fact.

Panasonic RP-HTX7AE-A Lightweight Retro Style Monitor Headphone with Single Side Cord & One Side Monitoring System - Blue
Offered by amy's Schätze

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy at your peril!, 8 May 2012
I wanted a quality pair of headphones to listen to music and watch films on my laptop. These were given top marks by What Hi-Fi so I purchased them without hesitation.

Pros-

The sound is brilliant, the dialogue is crisp and the base is really deep for such a low priced headphone.

Looks wise I would give 10/10. The colour is best described as a pale blue but is quite stunning.

Negatives-

They are so uncomfortable that you may as well rub wet and dry sandpaper on your ears as it has the same effect. When you keep them on for more than 20 minutes the pain really kicks in but that's not before the heat has taken the first layer of your skin off. I really cannot overstate how uncomfortable these are!

Would I recommend these? Yes to the government to use as a form of torture on prisoners.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2012 8:23 AM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 8 May 2012
I work in a dusty environment so my sinus get clogged very easily. This product cleans them out very effectively and I will use nothing else.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3