Profile for Jim Rids > Reviews

Content by Jim Rids

Jim Rids

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Lose Weight: WITHOUT Dieting - Train your mind, change your eating habits and start losing weight today! (lose pounds, weight loss motivation,  weight loss tips, healthy dieting Book 6)
Lose Weight: WITHOUT Dieting - Train your mind, change your eating habits and start losing weight today! (lose pounds, weight loss motivation, weight loss tips, healthy dieting Book 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Lose Weight, 28 Feb. 2011
This was free and so i downloaded it and i'm glad i did. The information is good and i genuinely believe the workouts suggested are the best thing for our body to stay healthy and injury free.

The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid!, 28 Feb. 2011
I read books on diet and nutrition frequently and I really enjoyed reading this book as it was well written and had a good flow to it but, I'm just not convinced of the recommendations. There are some really interesting points about the advantages of eating no meat and tons of veg but I think it's just too harsh a regime to follow.

Interestingly if you Google 'The China Study' you will find a number of articles explaining the innacuracies of the data in this book which I won't point out but trust me they're worth reading.

After my extensive reading over many years I firmly believe that a purely vegetarian diet is the worst way to eat for long term weight loss and health benefits. Most people can't and don't lose weight long term due to sugar which stimulates insulin and insulin traps and stores fat. Starch when broken down is a form of sugar and is found in a variety of fruit, pulses and vegetables. Diabetes within the vegetarian community is and has been heavily on the rise for decades and many Scientists believe it's down to the high quantity of sugar and starch within their diet.

This is my opinion and I mean no disrespect or upset to anyone who's a vegetarian or is considering becoming one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2013 3:07 PM BST

Black Flexible L.E.D Light for Amazon Kindle 1, 2 & 3, Touch and 6" Wifi Versions
Offered by technoplay ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Light, 28 Feb. 2011
The light is very bright which i love but the massive downside is it's very heavy therefore you cannot possibly attach this to your kindle as it is shown in the picture.I have to either hold it in my hand or balance on my bedstand and direct it to my kindle screen.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Millennium Series Book 3)
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Millennium Series Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest, 28 Feb. 2011
I had mixed emotions over whether to read this book or not because of how bad the second book was, but i remembered how brilliant the first book was so decided to part with my money and buy it. This final book was ok, just an average read. It follows on directly from the second book with the storyline and Lisbeth is in hospital. I found good and bad aspects of the plot but once again i felt the author went into far too much detail in areas of non importance. I thought that there were, again like the second book, elements of stupidity in the sub plots; like berger getting hassled in her new job, receiving emails saying she is a whore and someone breaking into her house and you find out it was some former classmate she never said a word to in high school. I can see the author wanted to write in that berger needed to leave her job and go back to millenium but he could have done it in a far better more believable way than he did. The other thing was i got sick to death of Lisbeths character as a whole, and i feel the author did not do a good job of making her a warmer character by the end of this trilogy. She was still in effect the same cold person she was at the beginning of the first book ( maybe went up one notch) but it wasn't enough and this was a huge disappointment and faltering on the authors behalf. Overall this trilogy was average but i would still recommedn the first book to everyone. I do feel though that the second and third books will be far more enjoyable as films if the writers shave down the storylines.

The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium Series Book 2)
The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium Series Book 2)

2.0 out of 5 stars The Girl Who Played with Fire, 28 Feb. 2011
Having read the first book within two days and thoroughly enjoying it I bought this book straightaway. What a disappointment! This is the second book in the trilogy and it was terrible. I am struggling to sum up how boring this book was. You have to read this book to be able to read the third book and follow the storyline as it's all intertwined. That problem with this book is it's too drawn out, tedious, with far too much detail. New characters are introduced that have Swedish names and they're too similar, in my opinion. I got confused trying to remember who's who. This to me was never a problem in the first book but for the two subsequent books it was. It affected my pleasure of reading the book immensely. I felt that the author went over and over the same parts of certain aspects of the story too often.It was like he was struggling to come up with fresh sub plots for the story line. I had to force myself to finish this book whereas i couldn't get enough of the first book. I felt so let down by this that i have to award it just two stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2011 4:47 PM BST

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium series Book 1)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, 28 Feb. 2011
I would have never read this book without the positive feedback that i saw for it, so i took the plunge and bought it for my kindle. I was not disappointed! The first chapter was very slow but by the second i was hooked, and i read the entire book in two days, i just could not put it down. I thought the plot was brilliant, so full of mystery and intrigue, and the characters were written in such a way that you could relate to them in some capacity (even Lisbeth).I had no problem with the translation from swedish to english,some people have commented that they did. I thought it gave the book an extra dimension been set in sweden with swedish names and places etc.I would recommend this book to everyone,even those who dislike the genre.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3