Profile for Vittorio > Reviews

Motor Cycle Trials Riding
Motor Cycle Trials Riding
by Max King

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 24 Aug. 2016
Great thanks I had the book when it was new so a bit of nostalgia . Only one minor problem the pages have started to fall out (after I read it through) which is not unexpected in a book of this age and binding.

Building the Better Guitar Scale
Building the Better Guitar Scale

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsory reading for all guitarists., 7 Aug. 2013
OK perhaps not compulsory, but I've been playing for years and have never thought of, or come across this system before.
I wish that I had, I could have saved myself a lot of trouble and improved my playing.
I would recommend this to all guitarists or would be guitarists.This system would be extremely useful for composition and or improvisation.

An Honourable Estate
An Honourable Estate
by Elizabeth Ashworth

3.0 out of 5 stars An Honourable Estate, 10 Jun. 2013
This review is from: An Honourable Estate (Paperback)
The book is well written and easy to read. The historical background accurate but not well integrated into the story, rather like separate chunks from a history book. I found it unsatisfactory on background detail, lots of descriptions of the bad weather but little about the setting, little period feel. Where is the Hall, what did it look like, similarly the churches. Why does Lady Mable only have 1 maid of all work? Distances are odd and places vague. Why did they not deal with Ratcliffe immediately instead of going to collect a posse? The fighting scenes are well done but we don't know what the characters look like e.g. how old is Mab? I found the story hard to believe. Why does William never make any attempt to come home or even send a message to Mab for years when he is quite openly hanging around Chorleigh a few miles away? If he loves her surely his first thought would be for her wellbeing. I didn't find any attempt to get inside the characters and make their motivations believable. An interesting take on a local legend but not enough thought given to its development or creating period detail.

Rock Guitar For Dummies
Rock Guitar For Dummies
by Jon Chappell

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my second copy, 18 Mar. 2013
This must be one of the best tutors and books about guitars, (I also have Guitar for Dummies). Certainly I have not come across anything better.The Cd is also very helpful. Overall I found this a good interesting read for beginners and experts, (I'm not an expert but I have been playing for forty odd years). I think that anyone should be able to learn from scratch with the help of this book although it is slightly more advanced than Guitar for Dummies.

Tutor for the Renaissance Lute
Tutor for the Renaissance Lute
by Diana Poulton

5.0 out of 5 stars Tutor for the Renaissance Lute, 11 Oct. 2011
This Tutor has been about for a long time, and this is the latest incarnation. I have never seen a previous edition but I have seen that it has always been well respected and THE number one, probably the most famous Lute Tutor available.
I was certainly not disappointed. The text is both interesting and informative with everything you need to know to play the Lute, and more. The excercises are well explained and easy to understand. There is enough in this book to interest even the experts, (but I would imagine that they will already have this book). All in all I would say a must have for all Lutenists and aspiring Lutenists.

Making Musical Instruments: Strings and Keyboards
Making Musical Instruments: Strings and Keyboards
by Charles Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars Making Musical Instruments: Strings and Keyboards. Ed. by Charles Ford, 4 July 2011
With the help of this book (borrowed from a library many years ago), I have been able to design and build a lute. After all this time I now have my own copy and I am not disappointed.For me it has stood the test of time.
It is not a treatise on woodworking for beginners but is a good grounding in the construction of most types of stringed instruments.
All in all for anyone building any one of these instruments for the first time or the experienced luthier, or anyone with an interest in these instruments, it is most instructive and interesting.

The Cromwellian Protectorate (New Frontiers)
The Cromwellian Protectorate (New Frontiers)
by Barry Coward

4.0 out of 5 stars The Cromwellian Protectorate, 30 May 2011
Excellent. Lots of facts, all annotated with sources. Really easy to read, not turgid or heavy and set out in a very logical way. Also very fair in the presentation of a subject which is always controversial.