Profile for realityarts > Reviews

Content by realityarts

realityarts

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Kindle Fire 7", LCD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - With Special Offers [Previous Generation]

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the purchase!, 17 May 2013
When the Kindle first came out I was convinced that it wasn't for me. I am the sort of person who loves the feel of the book in my hands, turning the pages and smell of a new book is something you can't replace.

Fast forward and the Kindle Fire comes onto the market, I debate with all the extra features it might be useful, and with a hint here and a suggestion there, my son and husband got me one for 2012 Christmas. I never thought I would say this, but I absolutely adore it. The storage is 5.5 GB and along with books it can store music and film, it has quite a good speaker, though I found when the battery is low the sound quality dips. It has wireless function so you can download apps easily and you also have access to all the other social media and whatever else you can think of. Photographs can be uploaded via Amazon cloud drive, videos can also be stored and if you connect to love film you have access to movies - the picture quality is very good.

The size is handy and fits in my bag without taking up too much room. It's a slightly heavier than the earlier kindle, at 400g. The selection of books available for the kindle has improved and many eBook stores now have a converter for you to increase access to other eBooks. You can also download documents and PDFs via cloud.

I love being able to carry a huge selection of books that I can dip into depending on my mood, and I have got though more books since I started using it. The kindle has some good features - storing or book marking your last place read, make notes within a book or highlight specific sections and apparently you can share what you've highlighted on your social media (though I haven't done that yet, but sounds great). For most books there is an audio function so that the books can be read to you and in effect you have an audio book (not sure if you can change the females voice and she reads in mono tone), I use this function when I am in the studio working. Another great thing is being able to look at a sample of the books before you buy, and option to change your mind if you have purchased something in haste. I found quite a good selection of Mixed Media Art books, though with these books I don't think anything can take the place of their visual impact on the pages I still want to hold them in my hands.

What I like most about it is that it has so many different functions; short of making me a cup of tea or having a phone function it has so many great uses. There is of course a down side, I guess we have yet to see the impact of staring at multiple screens and our eye muscles, and remembering to take the necessary breaks.I also find the battery life not as good as it could be currently supposed to last for 9 hours (I find with continuous use I get around 6 hours at best). I was hoping that it would have been like the earlier versions of the kindle that can last for up to 8 weeks, but I find I have to charge it every day, if not twice a day depending on usage which can be a pain, carrying the charger cable around with you. I found that to preserve the battery slightly you have to shut it down after use rather than leaving it on standby. And other down side is it only comes with the lead to plug into a computer which is a very slow way of charging your kindle. You have to buy the plug separate which to me didn't make sense considering how much you would have brought it for. A way round depending on your phone (as many come with a plug with usb connection) and if you already have one of these you won't need to purchase the kindle plug.

That being said, the benefits and uses of the Kindle Fire outshine the down sides and hopefully with new and improved versions these things can be addressed. I read some of the negative (one star) comments but personally haven't had any problems with it. If you want a multi-use gadget that can help you become more organised I think you will definitely enjoy using the kindle fire and wonder why you didn't get one sooner!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2013 1:36 PM BST

Viakal Limescale Remover Spray, 500ml
Viakal Limescale Remover Spray, 500ml
Offered by Online4Perfume

4.0 out of 5 stars Viakal put to the test!, 13 Mar. 2013
I live in a very hard water area and had heard of the product but didn't think that it would be as effective as stated. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. It has a lovely smell for a cleaning product, not over powering at all. I found that when sprayed on items that typically got covered with lime scale, it worked immediately, and there was little effort to wipe and you were left with a shine. The effects were longer lasting than other products, and I would definitely recommend it.

I recieved a sample of this product for free and I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

Where Has Oprah Taken Us?
Where Has Oprah Taken Us?
by Stephen Mansfield

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 13 Mar. 2013
This book by Stephen Mansfield who has authored several books gives us an insight to much of Oprah's life from early childhood. We can admire her determination to step outside of the confines of circumstances that could have sent her down a road of self destruction at a very early age. As a woman of influence she has impacted on the way millions of women around the world see themselves and their view of the world.

The main focus of the book takes a look at her spiritual walk and her association with the work of several spiritual gurus who she has interviewed and promoted. The book gives us a behind the scenes look at not only Oprah's philosophy but that of those she has associated with. I like the way that the book was structured. At the end of each chapter/section Stephen would give his views.

I felt that the book was insightful, easy to read and gave a `both sides of the coin' point of view, it is definitely well worth a read.

Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
by Dorothy Lehmkuhl

4.0 out of 5 stars Organising for Creatives - an eye opener!, 31 May 2012
I originally brought this book in 2001 and skimmed it telling myself that I would evenually get round to reading it. I never did, and it sat on my book shelf gathering dust. I recently took it out to get some ideas and was quite surprised at how much useful information unfolded.

It is not just a book about organising, it gets you to look at your style of working and develop strategies working more like a coach come personal organiser. I had many 'aha moments'. It gets you to think about your goals and then offers suggestions that really challenges your thinking but also enables you to set up systems to support, with key points summarised at the end of each chapter. You get to look with new eyes at your environment and more importantly how you interact, helping you to find the style of organising that works with your personality and those around you.

Chocolate Diaries The
Chocolate Diaries The
by Linamen Karen Scalf

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration and a dash of chocolate, 25 May 2012
This review is from: Chocolate Diaries The (Paperback)
Reading the stories of encouragement by the author Karen Scalf Linamen and other contributors was like a breath of fresh air, the interesting thing about experiences is that we can relate, there are a range of emotions that most of us at one time or another have felt. In the mix was humour, wisdom as well as some great recipes. There are no miracle `cure all' revelations, but an understanding that we need to dig deeper for the answers and look at the joy that we have in our lives. At the end of each chapter there are additional questions for reflection. This is a light read and would be great for a book club or group to work through.

I was reading an e-book version, and look forward to checking out some of her other titles. I received an ecopy of this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

George Washington Carver (Christian Encounters Series)
George Washington Carver (Christian Encounters Series)
by John Perry

4.0 out of 5 stars An Enlightened Read, 25 Nov. 2011
This book is part of the Close Encounters of the Christian Kind written by John Perry. I had heard of George Washington Carver but never really knew much about him.

Carver is known for his research in discovering many uses for the peanut. Reading this book uncovered a whole other side to what was a very complex individual. We get to accompany the writer on an adventure into Carver's life and accomplishments. Perry has an incredible knack of drawing you in and making the pages come alive, he has an easy writing style and language that almost makes you feel you are personally getting to know Carver.

From humble beginnings Carver, born in 1864 made many contributions to society. Despite segregation and racism denying him an education his determination and faith drove him to better himself. He pursued an education and worked to see better conditions and sustained self sufficiency for his community and the population at large. In 1896 he completed his masters degree and he was asked to join the faculty of the Tuskegee Institute by Booker T Washington.

His research at the institute resulted in the creation of more than 300 products from peanuts such as cooking oil, peanut butter and paint. He also created more than 100 products from sweet potatoes and is responsible for inventing synthetic materials, such as marble and plywood, even inventing the dye which is still used in crayons. A talented artist, Carver created some of his own paints using local clays, he produced many works of art, but sadly most were destroyed in a fire.

His thirst for knowledge is admirable, not being content in following one field he became expert in a number of disciplines, not allowing his circumstances to define him or discourage him, he made a path for himself, was generous with his time and instilled hope in all who heard him speak, with a view that 'Any man could start with nothing and achieve great things'.

I would definitely recommend reading this book, it's not only informative but is great look at where courage, discipline, focus and determination can take you!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

Image Transfer Workshop
Image Transfer Workshop
by Darlene Olivia Mcelroy

4.0 out of 5 stars Add new techniques to your skills base!, 24 Nov. 2011
If you've never tried transferring an image then you have to get this book, it's bursting with an amazing selection of techniques for you to try, some of which uses materials that you would find in most homes, such as cellotape - which is a quick and easy method to the more complex, which is why if you are a more experienced artist you definitely won't be bored. It is clearly written and has step by step photographs for your to refer to. Being in the UK you might find getting hold of a few of the materials challenging, but where there is a will there is a way!

What is great about the book is that it doesn't assume you will get a perfect result the first time round and there is a trouble shooting section for each technique which identifies some of the most common problems, why they might have happened and suggesting alternative approaches. The techniques offered in this book are definitely worth giving a go and you won't be disappointed.

The Michaels Book of Paper Crafts
The Michaels Book of Paper Crafts
by Dawn Cusick

4.0 out of 5 stars Bumper book of techniques, 24 Nov. 2011
I brought this book a few years ago, and was initially a bit dubious about finding all the materials I would need for the projects. I need not have worried, although Michaels is an American store all of the tools and materials are readilly available in the UK and you can probabably pick them up on the internet from where ever you are in the world.

It's a massive book of 318 pages filled with a vast array of paper craft projects. Don't worry if you are new to the game you will find projects to suit and for the more experienced there are some great alternatives for you to try.

The best thing I like about the book is the way that it is set out, it is very clear, consise with the instructions and following the projects. In each section there is a materials guide of what you could possibly need, a basics techniques which breaks everything down and a few tips thrown in for good measure which will answer those questions at the back of your mind that often pop up like 'Will it survive in the mail?', or 'what should I do with all the scraps I am accumulating?' It is worth having the book on your shelf, and even after a few years, I still use it to kickstart ideas or just play with materials!

Art Saves: Stories, Inspiration and Prompts Sharing the Power of Art
Art Saves: Stories, Inspiration and Prompts Sharing the Power of Art
by Jenny Doh

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, engaging and Full of goodness, 24 Nov. 2011
This is one of the best books I have brought in a long time. I am totally blown away by the work Jenny Doh does anyway with her courses and website with so much excellent information, when I heard about this book I knew I had to order a copy. As soon as it came I poured over the pages. The artists come from all walks of life, and share how the creative activity is an important part of their life. What I wasn't prepared for was how much they actually shared, each giving a mini lesson with instructions for working in their favourite material, and I am still working through the generous lessons. They share words of wisdom for your journey and ways in which we can impact on our own community and use art to tell our own stories.

For me Art definitely Saves, I'm sold, I will buy the t-shirt! If you are thinking about getting this book I suggest you go ahead, you won't be disappointed, from photography, mixed media, assemblage pieces, digital art, fabric and more.... there is so much colour, and examples of the artists work for you to be inspired and let your own creative voice be heard!

E-Kidz in Cyberspace
E-Kidz in Cyberspace
by Alan Springer
Edition: Perfect Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars E-Kids - An amazing book!, 24 Nov. 2011
This is an amazing read, it has action, adventure and a message on E-Safety. It is a must. I have a 16 year old son and he felt the story kept him interested and he would definitely encourage his friends to read it. It will also be a good book for children as young as 10, in my mind it definitely appeals to a wide range of ages. As a parent we can often feel that our children are way ahead in the technology stakes and we can feel out of touch with what they are doing, but this can open up a way for dialogue...do you know what sites your children are looking at, did you know there are ways in which they can get round the schools internet security to log onto inapproriate sites?

As a parent you need to make sure you can engage at all levels with your child. Having spoken with the author I have learnt that he is taking the book and a progamme of learning into schools as internet safety is a real issue, he has started speaking to schools in Brent and this is snowballing to other boroughs. If you are a teacher, I would recommend you get a copy of this book and get him into your school! Check out his website which has some interesting information as well [...]

Page: 1 | 2 | 3