Profile for Amanda L. Hatton > Reviews

Content by Amanda L. Hatton

Amanda L. Hatton (Derby, United Kingdom)

Bellabeat Leaf Urban Health Tracker/Smart Jewelry, Rose Gold Edition
Bellabeat Leaf Urban Health Tracker/Smart Jewelry, Rose Gold Edition
Offered by Bellabeat UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Classy, stylish and understated., 31 Mar. 2017
I received my urban leaf as a Mother's Day gift. I had dropped hints for one of these as I wanted a health tracker but didn't like the plastic digital feel of the main brands. I liked the idea of the style if this and the subtlety of it. So far I am very happy with it. I mainly wear it as a bracelet and, while it was a bit fiddly to put on the first couple of times, I now find it easy to put on. I have only worn it as a necklace briefly but it didn't seem to count my steps as accurately. I have worn it on my trousers when doing by the breathing exercises.
That leads me to another positive about this tracker - I love all the free guided meditations and breathing exercises through the app. I haven't used the menstrual tracking yet so can't comment on that.
The sleep tracking seems more accurate than some others I have tried.
Overall, it is definitely encouraging me to be more active and mindful which are exactly the benefits I wanted. I guess if you're a gym bunny it's probably not the tracker for you, but for a gentle health gadget it's perfect. And it looks classy.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Knitted Dolls: Handmade Toys with a Designer Wardrobe, Knitting Fun for the Child in All of Us
by Arne Nerjordet

4.0 out of 5 stars Translation makes it tricky but worth it!, 17 April 2014
After seeing some of the wonderful projects on knitting website, Ravelry, I knew I had to buy this book. It is beautiful to look at, with many inspiring and interesting patterns and ideas and I could not wait to get started on my first doll.

The dolls themselves are knitted on 2.5mm dpns - you need 2 sets of 5 needles each. If you're not used to dpn knitting, then this will not be the easiest first project for you! I would suggest having a practice on larger needles first. But, the beauty of this method does mean no fiddly seaming and the dolls knit up lovely and quick.

The yarn recommended is available online in the UK (a bit of googling will find it) but you can of course substitute other yarns instead.

There is a serious errata on the first page of the actual knitting patterns which is actually a rather BIG errata as it happens. And even the corrected version is still not terribly clear and has a mistake.

Some of the patterns for the clothes have not got completely detailed instructions, but if you are an experienced knitter you can work out the missing instructions. However, if you are a beginner or inexperienced, you may need some help for some parts. This is why I have given it 4 rather than 5 stars. I think it may be down to translation (the original is written in Norwegian) so the level of instruction may not be as detailed as it is usually in British and American patterns.

Overall, I would recommend this book to knitters with some experience (you don't have to be an expert or seriously advanced) and if you love cute and stylish dolls and projects, then this will not disappoint.

The Healthy Lunchbox
The Healthy Lunchbox
by Fiona Beckett

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic and inspiring, 21 Mar. 2008
This review is from: The Healthy Lunchbox (Hardcover)
I have found this book really helpful for ideas for my 5yr old and I can see the potential for even more as she gets older and her tastes change. The Headteacher has even commented on her lunch box being so healthy and interesting looking!

50 Baby Bootees to Knit
50 Baby Bootees to Knit
by Zoe Mellor
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars 50 Baby Bootees to Knit, 17 Aug. 2004
Beautiful designs and lovely ideas for shoes and socks. Does recommend designer yarns that could be expensive and when I tried to match a tension square with a different yarn I ended up with very tiny shoes, even though the tension matched with the one specified in the pattern. Each shoe only took one evening to knit, sew up and finish. I think this is a good book for experienced knitters who are prepared to make substitutions and experiment with yarns and needles.
I do wish it gave instructions on how to knit with 4 needles as some of the socks require this old-fashioned technique.
Overall though a beautiful book and one which I am sure I will use many times and get my money's worth.