Profile for Lady Claire > Reviews

Content by Lady Claire

Lady Claire (Sussex, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Working Stiff: Runaway Billionaires #1 (Billionaires in Disguise)
Working Stiff: Runaway Billionaires #1 (Billionaires in Disguise)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 8 April 2017
I enjoyed this book although was probably not quite as enamoured with it as some of the other reviews I've read on here. I get a little bit bored with the 'gorgeous-guy-is-secretly-in-love-with-girl-who-thinks-she's-chubby-and-plain-but-quite-clearly-isn't' scenarios. Yes, I know it's a fictional novel but soooo many books I've read seem to have that and it gets a little tiresome. I also wasn't keen on some of the veiled sarcasm being aimed throughout the book at the Brits and Europe (btw, you don't have a 'british' accent. That's far too generic. 'British' could mean absolutely anywhere in the UK!)
But those are small negatives. The postives outweighed that and as I said, I did enjoy this. I liked the various viewpoints of the characters, the story and by and large this book was written very well. So I would recommend this, yes.

India: Bride of Indiana (American Mail-Order Brides Series Book 19)
India: Bride of Indiana (American Mail-Order Brides Series Book 19)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet..., 30 Mar. 2017
A bit predictable but a sweet story which I read in one go. Could have done with perhaps a little more from Richard's viewpoint but I enjoyed this book.

[Nature Comes] Leash Dispenser for Dog Waste Bags "Romeo" Including 1-Refill Roll(Compostable, Leak-proof, 15-Count Scented Dog Poo Bags) with Metal Carabiner Clip for Dog Collar

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame..., 13 Mar. 2017
As a dispenser it's fine (although the bags that come with it aren't that great). But annoyingly after only a couple of uses the clip has broken. As that is one of the reasons I bought this I have to say to being very disappointed.

Cruel & Beautiful (A Cruel and Beautiful Book Book 1)
Cruel & Beautiful (A Cruel and Beautiful Book Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book..., 10 Mar. 2017
Beautifully written bittersweet romance. Thoroughly recommended.

Brite-R Uno II LED Headlight - Black
Brite-R Uno II LED Headlight - Black
Offered by MightyHousewares

3.0 out of 5 stars Good light but shame about the connecting battery pack..., 27 Jan. 2017
Had this light for over a year, worked fine. But then I found the connection between the battery pack & the light itself started to not work properly. Quite dangerous when you're cycling along and then the light just turns itself off. Then I had problems charging it too so I knew it was the connector to the battery pack. After it got to the point when the light wouldn't work whatsoever I gave up & have had to buy another light. Shame because up until then this light worked brilliantly.

Sleeping Beauty
Sleeping Beauty
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Sleeping Beauty (DVD)
This was truly abysmal. From the dated soundtrack to the awful acting. Plus the sound of the dialogue kept alternating between being very loud and very soft to which I had to keep changing the volume control.
The film seemed to be trying too hard to be something it wasn't. It just appeared to me to be an excuse for most of the cast to take their tops off.
This was one of the worst things I've ever seen on screen (and I've seen some rubbish over the years). I really don't know why I allowed myself to sit through the entire thing.
Do yourself a favour, only watch this if you fancy a laugh at how awful it is.

Cabin Pressure: The Complete Series 4
Cabin Pressure: The Complete Series 4
by John Finnemore
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny radio comedy!, 7 July 2014
Wonderfully funny radio comedy. I have them all on my mp3 player and they never fail to make me laugh. This last series having its poignant moments as well as its hilarious ones. Sad to hear that there'll be just the one 'special' coming up and then no more. Although, for me, it'll be going out on a high.
Btw, I was lucky enough to be at the live recording for the first two episodes of this series 4 and all I can say is, I very much hope that some sort of outtakes CD is available in the not-too-distant future!

Eliminate the Impossible: An Examination of the World of Sherlock Holmes on Page and Screen
by Alistair Duncan

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 4 Nov. 2013
A very well researched, meticulous book about all-things Sherlock Holmes whether it be TV, film or the canon.

As someone who has read all the stories, seen some TV stuff but is a relatively new fan to the world of the great detective, I found the entire book a most enjoyable read.

Speaking personally, I particularly got the most out of the part relating to all the different portrayals of Holmes & Watson there have been on screen (albeit this book was written prior to the Guy Ritchie films and the BBC's wonderful Sherlock series). It's definitely pointed me in the right direction as to which other versions to watch and which ones to avoid!

As the book states, it's probably not for the passing fan (but then you probably wouldn't be buying the book in the first place), but for someone who has a modicum of knowledge about the canon etc. But even though I've read all the stories I still found new things I'd not noticed before. Very interesting stuff.

All in all a thoroughly good read and I would recommend it to any Sherlock Holmes fan.

Barefoot on Baker Street: 2nd Edition
Barefoot on Baker Street: 2nd Edition
by Charlotte Anne Walters

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully enthralling read..., 25 May 2013
I'll be honest that when I first started reading this book, even though the main character Red had had a brutally tough upbringing, I disliked her enough that I really wasn't enjoying what I was reading. She was a thoroughly unlikeable person and I wasn't sure how much more I wanted to know about her. But I carried on and persevered with the story, and I'm so glad I did...
I won't say any more suffice to say that the story gets better and better as it progresses. I grew to understand Red. I understood her ingrained will to survive and never to be a victim. I found myself admiring this person as her tale went on.

Charlotte Anne Walters has written a wonderfully enthralling novel. Threading Red's story throughout the years beginning with the harshness of her life in a Victorian workhouse to her time on the streets, to discovering Baker Street and life beyond. It's gritty and heart-warming in equal measure.
(It was also a delight to have certain aspects of the Sherlock Holmes canon inter-weaved throughout.)

Thoroughly recommended.

Third Star [DVD]
Third Star [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully thought-provoking film..., 23 April 2012
This review is from: Third Star [DVD] (DVD)
Oh my lord, if you think Benedict Cumberbatch is good as Sherlock then you really should see him in Third Star.

Benedict plays someone who has terminal cancer and whilst the premise doesn't sound particularly inspiring or uplifting, let me tell you it's much, much more than that. The film is beautifully bittersweet and immensely thought-provoking. It's just on the right side of each feeling it makes you endure. It's funny, moving, painful to watch at times and just incredibly emotional.
Everyone delivers wonderful performances in their respective roles (the film solely focusing on just the four male friends), but it's a sheer tour de force by Benedict playing the cancer-stricken young man who knows he has little time left, but wants just that extra bit more.

I found myself laughing quite a lot at the beginning, but the more the film went on, the more distressing I found it, particularly some of the scenes where Ben's character is in such pain. And ultimately, well, I won't spoil it, but let's just say that the ending delivered the final blow so that I was an emotional wreck by the time the credits rolled.

Beautifully told, beautifully acted and just a beautiful film. Watch it, but have the tissues handy....

Page: 1 | 2