Profile for Kenneth Huggins > Reviews

Content by Kenneth Huggins

Kenneth Huggins (Dorset UK)

Page: 1 | 2
PetSafe SlimCat Feed Ball - Blue
PetSafe SlimCat Feed Ball - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant at keeping puss active, 16 Feb. 2013
My cat Muffin was a stray, purchased from Cats Protection after having been found caught in a badger trap for an unknown period of time. He's tough as the proverbial old boots, and cool as the proverbial cucumber, but perhaps as a result of his trap trauma he does tend to wolf down his food... and in particular his dried food. I've long given my cats more dried food than wet, as a means of keeping their teeth clean and their gums free of disease, so it was a disappointment that he simply swallowed his dried food whole. Then I discovered the PetSafe ball and it saved the day, fantastic ! When he only gets one or two dried nibbles at a time he makes the effort to crunch them. It also gives him plenty of exercise, biffing it around the kitchen/diner floor and leaping on any dried nibbles that fall out. It took him just seconds to work out, perhaps because I rolled it for him the very first time until a nibble appeared as if by magic. Now he eagerly waits for it to be loaded and placed on the floor in front of him. We have experienced a very strange phenomena whereby he manages to lose the ball. We only live in a small bungalow, so it's not as if there is a vast expanse in which a ball this size can be lost, but somehow he's managed to lose two so far and I've just started him on a 3rd one yesterday. This latest ball now has a length of string tied to it, which I'm hoping will make it more visible if he manages to lose it yet again. Can't recommend this product highly enough.

Silverline 749248 Post Driver 670 x 170 mm
Silverline 749248 Post Driver 670 x 170 mm
Offered by PCArena

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 Jan. 2013
This is an absolute necessity for driving in tall wooden stakes or posts. It certainly beats the alternative of using a big hammer because ... (a) it can easily be used by one person (provided you are strong enough to lift it of course) ... (b) it doesn't split the top of the stake ... (c) it is soooo much quicker. I don't have that many stakes or posts to drive in, but whenever I need to use this driver I am delighted with it and consider it money well spent.

Silverline SL05 Post Level, 135 mm
Silverline SL05 Post Level, 135 mm

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tool, 14 Jan. 2013
Very pleased with this level. I use it in the garden for putting in wooden stakes for supporting fruit canes as well as for larger posts to support wooden retaining walls. My posts are actually vertical now when I stand back and look at them properly ! Great price too. Only 4 stars because the 'elastic strap' provided was just a plain old elastic band that quickly deteriorated and had to be replaced with something sturdier. Not really a problem, especially at this price.

NEW Re-Wind Wind-Up Solar Rechargeable Portable AM/FM Radio with USB Charging Port (Cable Included) - No Batteries Required - Ideal for Walking, Hiking, Camping, Beach, Garden, Caravans - 2 Years Worldwide Warranty Included

2.0 out of 5 stars She shall have music wherever she goes ... until it stops !!, 14 Jan. 2013
Good while it lasted. Bought for my partner, for when she was tucked away in the greenhouse / potting shed. We loved the fact that it didn't require a constant supply of batteries. Great little radio. Good reception, sturdily made, and whilst the small speaker obviously limited the quality of the sound ...especially if it was turned up too loud ... it was still fine for listening to. Sadly after about 7 months of working fine the wind-up handle seized solid in spite of the radio being mainly recharged via the solar panel, so the handle wasn't over used. Also the soft plastic cover began to feel very sticky and was presumably degraded by the sun. The supplier was very quick to offer a refund so full marks for their customer service. I just wish the radio had lasted :-(

Superlux Shower Hose - Chrome finish - 175cm - large 11mm bore
Superlux Shower Hose - Chrome finish - 175cm - large 11mm bore
Offered by The Home Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart and well made, 14 Jan. 2013
I bought this to replace a plastic shower hose that had cracked at one end where it screws onto the shower head. This hose uses metal, so no danger of it failing. Only 4 stars because it is slightly bigger in diameter than the old plastic hose and that means it doesn't fit as snuggly into the holder on the wall. Otherwise a great product.

Grab Rail/Handle 12" Heavy duty Ribbed with concealed screws, Ideal for Bathroom use
Offered by Mobility Smart

5.0 out of 5 stars Really secure, great for confidence, 14 Jan. 2013
This is now the second of these handles that I have fitted for an elderly relative to make life so much easier for her in the bathroom/toilet. They look good. Plain, but well made ... and they look as strong as they are. Fixing onto a wall obviously needs to be done properly to ensure that in the event of being used to stop a fall they don't pull out of the wall, but all this requires is long enough rawlplugs and screws. Best fitted to brick or stone or concrete walls. Just use a sharp drill bit if drilling through ceramic wall tiles. If fixed to a stud wall then I would suggest they must be screwed into a stud rather than into plasterboard, which would dictate where they are fixed which may not be most suitable or convenient position. All in all a great product and well worth the very reasonable cost.

The Man Who Didn't Die
The Man Who Didn't Die

5.0 out of 5 stars love the story, love the message !, 23 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Man Who Didn't Die (Paperback)
Love it, a great little story with a great big message. And a positive message is it too, a most welcome respite from the doom and gloom we're constantly being subjected to. This delightful book is written around a situation that on the surface is total doom and gloom, but by skilfully peeling away the layers for us the author exposes the wonderful message of hope nestled at its core.

As anyone who has read his many other works will know, Ian Lawton has long been an astonishingly accomplished researcher with that rare gift of being able to pull together other people's findings and ideas and present them in way that both illuminates and brings new insights. I suppose it was inevitable that he should now turn his hand to writing a novel. Since humans first learned to string more than a few grunts together we have loved stories, not least because they engage, entertain and energise our brain in such an enjoyable way. Stories have long been the means by which important and complex ideas have been rendered more understandable and accessible, and Dead Man Talking does just that.

There are a number of scientific pundits who keep popping up on radio and TV these days, sadly seeming to take great delight in pouring scorn on anything that doesn't fit with their own reductionist and soulless view of life, death and everything. It would be wonderful to see them open their minds and engage in an honest debate with someone like Ian Lawton, so that they could seriously review the ample and impressive evidence that is presented in such an engaging way in this book. Well, I can but dream ... and in the meantime there are writers like Ian Lawton to light the way. Nice one !

The Future of the Soul: 2012 and the Global Shift in Consciousness (Books of the Soul)

5.0 out of 5 stars ... and what a future it is !, 9 Jun. 2010
This is a departure from previous books I've read by Ian Lawton in that it is based on material that Ian himself has witnessed being channelled. His credentials as a rational philosopher and painstaking researcher are impeccable, as anyone who has read his previous books will know. His writing never fails to inform and inspire me, and this book is no exception. Right now the merchants of doom and gloom are having a field day with the concept of 2012 being the end of life as we know it. Fortunately this book puts it all neatly into context. It's a fact that we cannot continue to live so far beyond the means of the planet for very much longer. However the message in this book is that it is all part of a deliberate plan, although the eventual path that plan takes is still very much up to us. We retain our free will, and if enough of us can come to our collective senses we do still have time to choose a path that will ensure the survival of our species. And more than just survival, we have an evolutionary leap to look forward to. The time to act is now, and the positive messages in this book could not be more timely. If you're not sure what you should be doing for the best, right now, one first step might be to buy this book. For the first time in my life I feel as though I have at least some grasp of the enormity of the exciting opportunity that lies before us all, thanks to Ian !

Your Holographic Soul: And How to Make it Work for You (Books of the Soul)
Your Holographic Soul: And How to Make it Work for You (Books of the Soul)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me !, 9 Jun. 2010
The first books I read by Ian Lawton were his Little Book of the Soul and Big Book of the Soul, which I read after hearing him deliver a talk on the subject of life after death. My logically minded engineering brain can't help but be impressed by his thoughtful and rational approach to the subject, and his insistence on ignoring all but the genuinely robust cases that are put forward as proof of the existence of past lives. I love the way this book ... Your Holographic Soul ... manages to put so much of such vital importance into one small space, and the clear explanation of Ian's concept of a holographic soul made instant sense to me. The layout of the book in two sections is perfect, with the first section offering answers to key questions and the second section offering wonderful self-help suggestions for actually putting it all into practice ... to make one's holographic soul `work for you' as the subtitle of the book says. Theory and practice are so neatly laid out side by side, this is a brilliant book all round. These are vital times for the future of our species, and the insights presented so succinctly by Ian Lawton point clearly to the way ahead.

The Big Book of the Soul: Rational Spirituality for the twenty-first century
The Big Book of the Soul: Rational Spirituality for the twenty-first century

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Book for All Souls, 9 Jun. 2010
I heard Ian Lawton speak at a meeting in Bournemouth last year, on the subject of life after death. I was greatly impressed by his insistence on focusing only on cases where there is genuinely strong enough evidence to support the claims of past life experiences. I was likewise impressed by his rational approach to the subject of spirituality, which helped me to realise that that science and spirituality are not mutually exclusive ... in fact quite the opposite. I bought a copy of his Little Book of the Soul and found it to be an extremely easy read. Its contents convinced me that I just had to investigate the subject further ... to ignore the exciting implications of Ian's work would have been stupid. I went on to read his Big Book of the Soul, and was astonished at the depth of the research he'd carried out in writing the book. There are literally hundreds of references that can be followed up by anyone who wants to check the research. I defy anyone to read the Big Book of the Soul and not understand that there is very much more to this life than what we see around us. I've now also read Ian's two latest books, Your Holographic Soul and The Future of the Soul, and for the first time in my life I feel as though I have at least some grasp of the enormity of the exciting opportunity that lies before us all. I shall always be indebted to Ian Lawton for that.

Page: 1 | 2