Profile for Kasablanka > Reviews

The Company: Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris O'Donnell
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Polished, 5 Jan. 2008
This review is from: The Company: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Michael Keaton is the real star of this. His performance as James Jesus Angleton is nearly as good as that of Alec Guinness playing George Smiley. Not so sure about Chris O'Connell. He does not age well as has been already noted in another review. I can understand though why he was chosen to play the part. He has always played squeaky clean characters as in 'Scent of a woman', and 'Dead Poets Society'. There are some differences to the book and I'm sure at least one major character does not appear. Possibly reading the book first would help understand the plot but then you would know who the mole is so I would recommend watching this first. A useful book to read before this would be 'The very best men' by Evan Thomas, as it would provide good background information but not ruin the plot.

The Perfect English Spy: Sir Dick White and the Secret War, 1935-90
The Perfect English Spy: Sir Dick White and the Secret War, 1935-90
by Tom Bower

5.0 out of 5 stars Scholarly, 5 Jan. 2008
I'm amazed there are no reviews for this. For those interested in espionage I would think it is vital reading. It is an account of the life and career of Sir Dick White, a head of both MI5 and MI6. I read it years ago so cannot remember many details but do know I found it very interesting, It covers the story of Cambridge spies well. It is a well balanced, undramatic book, like the personality of it's subject.

Framed [1993] [DVD]
Framed [1993] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Timothy West

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 8 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Framed [1993] [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this many years ago on TV. It seems to be neglected which is a shame as it is an intelligent thriller that does hold the attention.
David Morrisey plays a ambitious young police officer, Lawrence Jackson, who by a stoke of luck has an opportunity to advance himself by being responsible for the capture of a major criminal in hiding on the costa del crime.
Timothy Dalton plays Eddie Myers, the charismatic crook, who manages to slowly win the admiration of Jackson, who has to be his interrogator. Myers begins his game.
When this first was shown, Penelope Cruz was relatively unknown.
Timothy West as a beer swilling, chain smoking cop is very good.
There is a good twist at the end.

The Monocled Mutineer : The Complete BBC Series (2 Disc Set) [DVD] [1986]
The Monocled Mutineer : The Complete BBC Series (2 Disc Set) [DVD] [1986]
Dvd ~ Paul McGann

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 26 Sept. 2007
I have just finished watching this now, over three evenings and enjoyed it as much as I did so many years go. I think this is the best thing Paul McGann has done except for 'Withnail and I'. Philip McGough who plays the secret service officer determined to track Percy Topis down, is also very good in a quiet, understated way.

It is all very well acted and there is a fair amount of humour. Toplis comes across as a bit of a rogue, reluctant to be a hero.

It is now debated whether Toplis was at Etaples. Paul McGann is quoted as saying "I don't think he was at Etaples. The units that he served in and was attached to simply weren't around. At the same time, given the fact that he came and went, that he was a bit of a loner, and moved between people and places, it is not inconceivable that he was there". Apparently we may know the truth in 2017 when the files are opened.

A number of the scenes, especially towards the end do faithfully match what is known about him.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2015 4:32 PM GMT

Warriors [1999] [Dutch Import] [DVD]
Warriors [1999] [Dutch Import] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ioan Gruffudd

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense and moving drama about the war in Bosnia, 23 Sept. 2007
Why this has not been released in the UK yet on DVD is a mystery to me. I have just a recording and this review is about the drama not the Dutch DVD. It is about one regiment (?) of British soldiers and their tour of duty in Bosnia as peacekeepers from beginning to end. There are three main characters whose lives back home we are shown before they leave and then return, affected by their experiences. Ioan Gruffydd (Hornblower) and Damien Lewis (Band of Brothers) are cast as two officers and Matthew Macfadyen (Spooks) as either a private or N.C.O. They witness a number of the most notorious incidents that occured. We see their frustration as they are not even allowed to move some civilians to safety as it would seem they are contributing to ethnic cleansing. I believe this was shown on BBC. It is a well acted, authentic looking drama. I hope it gets released over here.

Quatermass and the Pit [DVD] [1967]
Quatermass and the Pit [DVD] [1967]
Dvd ~ Andrew Keir
Offered by musicMagpie

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, 22 Sept. 2007
It makes a change to watch a film free of cgi or cliched phrases such 'we've got to get the hell out of here' etc
I love this film and watch it about once a year. The scene in Hobb's lane, when the policeman is telling Quatermass and his assistant about the strange noises and figures, is just excellent, and so spooky.

I'm Alan Partridge : Complete BBC Series 1 [1997] [DVD]
I'm Alan Partridge : Complete BBC Series 1 [1997] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Coogan
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars So clever, so funny, 21 Sept. 2007
My favourite episode in this is the one with Jed, his number one fan. The tears were running down my cheeks, I was laughing so much. Every episode is a gem. Michael is a great character and his bonding with Alan is a good idea.

I'm Alan Partridge : Complete BBC Series 2 [2003] [DVD] [1997]
I'm Alan Partridge : Complete BBC Series 2 [2003] [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Steve Coogan
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ending, 21 Sept. 2007
I prefer this and series 1 to 'Knowing me, knowing you'. Even though he is still a monster, I felt just a wee bit of sympathy for him in this series. His continuing friendship with Michael is very funny. You almost feel sorry for him at the end of this series as he skips away in his own world, while his books are pulped. One of the great comic creations of all TV time. My favourite episode in this series is the one when he plans on having a back to back viewing of all his James Bond films. 'Yes, they're ruined'.

New York City
New York City
Offered by Revolution Media

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden gem, 21 Sept. 2007
This review is from: New York City (Audio CD)
I much prefer Norah Jones on this even though 'Come way with me' is great. I wish she would do more jazz than country. This album is superb and deserves to be known more. 'New York City' is my favourite track.

The Good German
The Good German
by Joseph Kanon

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow but interesting, 19 Sept. 2007
This review is from: The Good German (Paperback)
I don't mind how long Joseph Kanon's novels are because they are all so well written and contain interesting information and some history, as well as being intelligent thrillers. For example, with 'Los Alamos' you get a good description of the place where the first nuclear bomb was tested. In 'Alibi' you get a picture of Venice just after the war; and the 'The Prodigal spy' covers the Macarthy period, to some extent. I especially like the way all his protaganists solve the mystery in each novel, slowly by piecing together the bits of the puzzle, and none of them are detectives ! Slowly is the word, however, so his stories are not really for those who want action on every page.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13