Profile for N. Patel > Reviews

Content by N. Patel

N. Patel (London)

The Rithmatist
The Rithmatist

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read - a couple of things to know before starting this:, 11 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Kindle Edition)
This is an amazing book! There are however a few things to note before you start reading this:

1) The first half of the book is slower than you might want - that isn't to say it's boring, but not much happens as you are introduced to the world created by Sanderson and the life of Joel and his dreams. The second half is amazing and my wife made fun of me for reading all the time as I couldn't put it down.

2) The second book to this hasn't yet been published and looks like it won't be for some time, so there is going to be a wait till we get the next book in this series! The book itself ends excellently with you wanting to continue, so it was a dissapointment to find that I'll have to wait so long.

That being said, if you enjoy fantasy then read this! I've just read Steelheart by Sanderson and loved that also! So now i'm starting his mistborn series!!

Casio Men's Quartz Watch with Grey Dial Digital Display and Silver Stainless Steel Bracelet DBC-611E-1EF

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch!!, 22 May 2014
My friend got one of these a few months back and I've resisted getting one myself, but didn't last long.

Saw this on Amazon and had to buy it. Came very quickly and is exactly the watch pictured - so no problems with the seller (even though at time of purchase there were no reviews, so I was risking it a bit!).

The watch catches the attention of anyone who sees it and just reminds you of being younger and in school when this and the remote control watch were the iPhones/tablets of our generation! Highly recommend!

Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)
Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Fantasy Novel I've read!, 24 Nov. 2013
To put this into context, I tend to only read the fantasy genre. I've just finished the Dresden Files series and loved them, but this book is just so well written it's amazing! Very little (that you'd associate with a fantasy novel) happens during the first half of the book, but you get so caught up with the trials that the main character goes through that you actually don't care. There is no magic, no wizards or prophesies, no dragons or mythical beasts, just a little boy thrown into a world that is harsh and unforgiving, and that makes you care for him. The second half contains some of that, but in a very subtle way.

The story is brilliant, yet simple and while I usually hate the 'this is my life, let me tell you about it' type of narrative, it works well here.

I downloaded the sample for kindle first and was hooked by then - i even ended up tethering to my phone to get the full book while traveling. I suggest doing the same and if you don't like it by then, move on.

Meta (The Meta Superhero Novel Series Book 1)
Meta (The Meta Superhero Novel Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging read, 24 Nov. 2013
This book is a very engaging read. While it lacks the description that I'm used to in books (for example, where a Jack Reacher novel would spend half a page describing a villain, this book will use a single line), it's still a very engaging read and it allows you to use your imagination more (so it's important that you have one!). This is the first 'superhero book' that I've read (I usually stick to Fantasy), so apologies if this is the norm for this genre.

The book is funny, witty and very easy to read. It's one downside is that it is far too short - that isn't to say there isn't a lot happening, but as I said earlier there isn't a lot of description and the main character does seem to go from decision to decision fairly quickly; it's really up to you to fill in the gaps.

All in all, I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys the genre and has a great imagination.

LED MR16 Spotlight 12V 3.8W (300 Lumen - 35 Watt Equivalent) Halogen Replacement Bulb 2900K Warm

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to, 5 Oct. 2012
Realised that I am spending a lot on electricity as my house has only halogen spotlights (which are on a lot of the time - especially as it gets darker). So when one of my spotlights blew, I dedicded to go with these (admittedly expensive) LED's to save money. I read an article that each one will save you roughly £6 a year (though I can't verify the accuracy of that).

The light is indistinguishable from the normal halogen - though the beam may be narrower. In fact, a lot of people haven't noticed until I tell them that one is an LED.

I just purchased 4 more for my living room and will slowly replace all those in my house to save as much as possible. Going by the £6 a bulb, I just saved £24 - basically what it costs to buy them. After the first year it will be pure profit! Not to mention, LED's are supposed to last 20 years!

Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1)
Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Fantasy Novel ideal for escapism, 19 Mar. 2012
I work in a very serious and complicated field and so I like my books to be less so, and fantasy I found is the only thing that lets me escape to another world entirely for a few hours a day.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find any book that can successfully do this... either poorly written, not deep enough, no thought to character or story or even far too complicated in trying to create a world and mythology that it spends pages describing things... all leads to a very poor read.

With the Assasins Apprentice, none of the above apply! You get thrown into a world of a small boy and how he observes the world.. the first few chapters nothing really happens, yet you find yourself engrossed in the writing style and world this young boy finds himself in! Slowly (though not too slowly) the story progresses into something more and wonderfully dark and mysterious!

So far I'm only 50% of the way through (according to kindly, 49% to be exact). Yet I'm loving it.

I would highly suggest downloading the sample and seeing if the writing style does suit you, and if it does, then set aside some nights on the sofa to read this!! I can't wait to go home and do the same!

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great and engaging read!, 1 Aug. 2011
I'm the type of guy who has a bookshelf full of books, half of which I haven't read fully as they just haven't captured my attention! Now, whether that's the fault of the book or if I just have a very low attention span, I don't know; but this book definitely didn't have that problem with me! (I'm currently 91% through it on my Kindle)

The book captures your imagination and remains at a steady and interesting pace throughout. The book is written from the perspective of the main characters, each chapter devoted to a single character (and numbed as such). There are some slower chapters, though you see why there were needed later in the book.

I would highly recommend this book for anyone travelling or who has the time to sit and read for hours on end... unfortunately I only get about 40 mins a night to read (when I'm not out!).

Now... I'm off to purchase the next book in the series!

Fallout: New Vegas (PS3)
Fallout: New Vegas (PS3)
Offered by Mayflower Stores

4.0 out of 5 stars New to Fallout - Love it, 22 Dec. 2010
I haven't played a Fallout game before, but a new colleague of mine was playing it so I thought i'd give it a go.

Firstly, for those of you like me, you do not need to have played a previous Fallout game to enjoy this one (though I think it would have helped as the controls are rather difficult and not explained in a tutorial)

Secondly, I've probably been playing for about 10 hours now and it has crashed twice, so I suggest you save as many times as possible. But it's forgivable and doesn't cause too many problems.

The game it self is great. A large open world, the ability to level up and add 'perks' to your character which can change the interactions you have with people you meet. The choice of which quest to embark on and which factions to befriend and turn into enemies... This is my first run through, but I think I could get a lot more play by going down different moral routes next time! I would warn you though, the first hour or 2 can be difficult as you don't get loads of ammo/weapons so you may die a lot! But once you manage to get a few better guns and enough ammo... you can have a lot of fun! (which makes me sound psychotic, but I'm really not!)

Perhaps I've been lucky with only 2 crashes, but even with more I'd still be happy with the game!

Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle)
Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle)
by Christopher Paolini

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, but why not end it?, 8 Oct. 2008
I enjoyed the book immensely. The characters were well formed, the dialog flowed well and the action sequences were described with just enough accuracy to remain fast paced and interesting, without dulling us with too much detail.

My fault with the book is that it should have been the last on of the TRILOGY! There were at least 6-7 chapters that were not needed within this book, if not more. Within this time the book could have been ended and a conclusion given. Instead, the author decided to extend the series by another book. Why? ££££ I suppose, but I can't speculate. It could be that he truly found himself in a position where he needed to create another book to do his work justice. Either way I find myself frustrated at having to wait probably another 2 years to read the next book and conclusion... if in fact that is the last book?!

However, if you are not at all bothered by that then I definately recommend reading this. While its not Tolkien (though, nothing ever will be), it is enjoyable and an escape from reality every so often.

Sony DSCS800 Digital Camera (8.1MP, 6 x Optical Zoom) 2.5" LCD - Silver
Sony DSCS800 Digital Camera (8.1MP, 6 x Optical Zoom) 2.5" LCD - Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera - Too Chunky!, 7 Oct. 2007
I bought this for my Mum for her holiday. Firstly the order didn't arrive and when I rang Amazon they said it looked like it had been lost in the post. They were very helpful and ordered another one for me which arrived the next day. But on to the camera!

The usability and picture quality are excellent and the quick image function works well for me as with my old camera everything seemed to blur, while with this it takes crisp quality images.

The main and killing aspect of this camera is that its far too large. The image shown on Amazon shows it to be far thinner than it actually is. We were looking for something thinner so it could fit in either my pocket or my Mum's purse... this unfortunately is far too large for either.

If you dont mind a camera on the slightly larger size then I would definately recommend this. On the other hand, if you're looking for something that you can carry around with you on city breaks without it being on display for the whole world to see (and steal) then this is not for you!